UKC

how snowy is the peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 01 Mar 2018

I want snowy fun!

can anyone tell me how much cover is in the Peak, is there enough for novelty touring? the snow in Nottinghamshire seems to be incredibly localized so i cant quite work out if its worth it. 

Lusk 01 Mar 2018
In reply to ebdon:

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/
You can normally see Shining Tor on the right.
I was hoping to get some mid-week walking in this week, but no way am I going up there in this wind!

OP ebdon 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Ooh looks lovely!

Simon Caldwell 01 Mar 2018
In reply to ebdon:

http://www.kinderweather.co.uk/

And the High Peak Marathon has just been cancelled.

Your main problem is likely to be the winds leaving bare patches between the drifts...

OP ebdon 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Hmm looking at the wind forcast i think theres a high probability that stairing out of the office window thinking about skiing will be more fun than actual skiing.

hang_about 01 Mar 2018
In reply to ebdon:

Just been out for a quick walk round Ringinglow. The fields have been blown largely bare by the strengthening winds but the drifts are deep. The local bridleway is waist deep in places. Lots piled up by the walls. The main roads are clear (at least in the suburbs on the west side of sheffield) so you might be able to get out further where there may be more.

kevin stephens 01 Mar 2018
In reply to ebdon:

skiing would be great, any anyone suggest some good west facing slopes not too exposed to windslab avalanche risk?

Chris the Tall 01 Mar 2018
In reply to hang_about:

Which bridleway is that? Hoping there might still fun to be had on the bike next week

Dan Arkle 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I just went to Stanage Pole via Endcliffe Park. Generally good biking on grippy compacted snow. 

Most of the fields were stripped clean by the wind, with drifts up to 2m high by the walls.

I imagine high touring will be generally poor due to lack of consistent cover, but stashes of dodgy windblown pow will be available. I've seen some good looking pics of lower level skiing nr Buxton. 

deacondeacon 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Dan did you look over the edge and see if there's much build up for snowballing. Wind direction seems perfect especially if the snow starts to dampen up  

abr1966 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Lusk:

I went up Shining torr today.....its pretty windy and cold! Snow had drifted very deep in some parts but it was also patchy. There is more snow lower down but I wouldn't fancy skiing in the wind! Roads are also bad, I didn't see anyone else up there today probably as its hard to get near...

jepotherepo 01 Mar 2018
In reply to ebdon:

High winds stripping all this dry snow. Significant wind chill up the top of crowden brook. Not enough snow to tour any where and not enough sticking to mam tor to ski down as of yesterday. 

Dan Arkle 01 Mar 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

Snowballing could be possible . There is not loads of snow but its really been shifted in a similar way to those classic years. I wasn't expecting the 2m drifts within the city limits! 

Lusk 01 Mar 2018
In reply to abr1966:

You're obviously more hardy than me
We were up there last Saturday, and it was quite 'bracing' on the ridge, and the Sun was shining down on us.
If anyone has got an Everest grade down onesie they want to lend me ...

TobyA 01 Mar 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

I skied in Grave's Park (Sheffield) last night. But I had been up above Edale earlier and it was scoured on many aspects.

hang_about 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Which bridleway is that? Hoping there might still fun to be had on the bike next week

There's one off Ringinglow road just past Common Lane. Not sure you'd get a bike down there.

Drifts all over - but it's consolidated a bit overnight.

I was up on Bleaklow last weekend as someone said there were mountain hares about. Spotted one hunkered down. Will post picture later. Hardy beasts if they can survive this!

Chris the Tall 05 Mar 2018
In reply to hang_about:

> There's one off Ringinglow road just past Common Lane. Not sure you'd get a bike down there.

Came that way this morning - some pushing required ! The bit by Whirlow playing fields was even worse - all the snow blows off the fields and onto the BW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...