UKC

Advice for Alpine Newbie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JDahlgreen 05 Dec 2020

Hi all,

I'm an experienced climber (sport/multi-pitch/trad(ish)) and hillwalker looking to get into winter mountaineering. I'm currently living in Milan, a short drive away from the alps and dolomites so figure this is the perfect time to get into winter mountaineering. My question is: what is the best way to get into this discipline? I have some experience, having done an ascent of a 3000m glaciated peak in Canada when I was with the cadets. Obviously no one wants to go out with a beginner so my current plan is to utilise my limited knowledge of this discipline, do some easy peaks on my own, and then look for partners to do harder peaks with. Is this a bad or dangerous move?

Cheers for literally any advice

(also, any advice for finding climbing partners in a foreign country is also greatly appreciated)

Doug 05 Dec 2020
In reply to JDahlgreen:

Do you ski ? most easy alpine peaks are skied rather than 'climbed' in winter & the basic mountaineering skills are more easily (& safely) learnt in summer. Have you thought of joining a club ? I found joining the local branch of the French alpine club very useful when I first moved to France, maybe the Italian equivalent would be helpful for you?

walts4 05 Dec 2020
In reply to JDahlgreen:

Try this FB group for rock climbing partners in Italy, seems fairly active. https://www.facebook.com/groups/voglio.arrampicare/?ref=share

As for mountaineering, during the next few months if your allowed out of Milan & you can ski, feel free to get in touch for some ski based summits.

Alternatively, if you are around Over the summer months, I’m usual out & about, based in Alagna but willing to travel further afield.

OP JDahlgreen 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug, thanks very much, I have experience of summer mountaineering but no winter skills. The advice about finding an Italian equivalent of the French Alpine club is very useful though - thanks a lot.

OP JDahlgreen 11 Dec 2020
In reply to walts4:

Hi there, great advice about the climbing partners facebook group, I've just sent a request to join. Regarding winter, I'm an experienced skier, with some off-piste experience, I'm just looking into buying my first ski-touring set up now. I'll be sure to get in touch, for both winter and summer stuff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...