UKC

Beginner looking for first gear advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheAntsAreBack 19 Oct 2019

Hello all, I imagine that this is not an uncommon question so apologies in advance for that. I'm brand new to climbing and am planning on learning the basics at my local climbing wall here in Stirling, Scotland. I'm looking at my first harness, shoes and belay device and I wondered if anyone can comment on a possible harness please?

In looking at the Simond Easy 3 from Decathlon. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/easy-3-climbing-harness-blue-id_8359998.html

This is only £30 but I have a question about the belay loop. I was taught to tie-in my rope through two loops of my harness when climbing but this just has a belay loop. Presumably it's all rated safe but could anyone reassure me that this design with one belay loop option is a good choice?

Whatever I buy I'll be using for short periods indoors rather than for charging up the Matterhorn. Thanks in advance. 

Mlewis 19 Oct 2019
In reply to TheAntsAreBack:

I recently started climbing, I found with a few items I needed to upgrade them once I started climbing outside. 

I think it depends on where you plan to go with your climbing. If you only want to climb indoors and don't  plan on getting into trad or sport a cheap harness like  that will do. Although I would spend an extra £10-20 and get something better. It should last you almost 5 years so it will be money well spent. 

springfall2008 19 Oct 2019

Good question, I'm sure the harnesss is safe and it's a single tie in, but I wouldn't buy it to be honest as it's a bit non-standard. I would want to avoid any complications when you start out.

If you want a cheap first set Go-Outdoors has a ClimbX Harness, belay device and chalk bag set:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15899450/climb-x-pilot-harness-and-belay-set-1...

Or spend a bit more, get a DMM Harness starter kit knowing it's good quality:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/dmm-viper-2-0-harness-starter-pack-F12121...

Smythson 19 Oct 2019

I'm sure it's properly rated but for five pounds extra you can get a less radical and bomber Black Diamond Momentum, also from decathlon. 

springfall2008 19 Oct 2019
In reply to Mlewis:

BTW: It's best to buy a harness in a shop to be sure it fits, most places won't let you return safety gear.

GrantM 19 Oct 2019

Another vote for the BD momentum, I got one earlier this year. There's another Simond one at £35 that would let you tie in normally, I think either of those would be better.

TheAntsAreBack 19 Oct 2019

Thanks for the advice chaps, I think I'll pass on that Simond model then and check out the other options suggested. I think I get a discount at Cotswold through my work so perhaps I can go with them. 

GStone 20 Oct 2019

Go into a shop and try them on. The most important thing is that it is comfortable to wear, and you won’t know this without comparing a few. For me the next thing to consider is if you’re going to be climbing trad, more gear loops is preferable.

wbo2 20 Oct 2019
In reply to TheAntsAreBack: that - as with shoes, fit matters.  In the original harness you link just tie in next to the belay loop not through it?  

I dont have a good process, way to determine fitting a harness .  I know a BD momentum doesn't fit me as it isnt comfortable when I hang in one - my son now uses it.  The  petzl i use is more comfortable even though its lighter, less padded as it fits

drconline 22 Oct 2019

Hi there, and welcome! 

I agree with most of the comments about buying a slightly more expensive/better harness, but to pick up on your other points, most beginners buy a basic belay plate for £15, but I strongly recommend paying a little more and getting a tube-style assisted braking belay device that gives a little more safety backup if you or your belayer are just learning the ropes (!).

I happen to use this one...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/atc-pilot-belay-device-id_8386850.html

A lot cheaper than a GriGri but gives a little bit of a backup.

Note it does NOT lock out like a GriGri so you still have to hold the dead rope etc. but knowing that if something untoward happened my climbing partner wouldn't fall to the deck is a confidence boost.

Dave

JVI 23 Oct 2019

Go Outdoors have a Black Diamond Momentum Harness, chalk bag and belay device package on sale just now.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906607/black-diamond-momentum-xp-set-1590660...

GrahamD 23 Oct 2019

Harness fit is personal.  I can't really get on with DMM, for instance, but the Momentum is perfect for me.  You need to try before you buy, both for comfort sitting in the harness and that it doesn't fall down when the loops are loaded.

Deadeye 23 Oct 2019

Gosh, I'm a bit nervous saying this... but the harness you've linked will be absolutely fine for going to the wall once a week for the next few years and, if that's the plan, then I wouldn't pay more.  It's properly rated, light, simple and will serve you just fine.

If later on you want to mountaineer or go trad climbing outdoors then you might get something different... but you'll know by then what you like and a spare harness is always good if you take a mate along.

meggies 25 Oct 2019

I'd suggest keeping it simple by sticking to a standard plate to begin with and perfect your belaying technique. There's quite a lot of variation between assisted braking devices and they often require subtly different methods to use safely.

Post edited at 12:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...