UKC

Beginner Questions - Mount Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kat93 24 Aug 2019

We (couple) are planning to walk up Snowdon via the Watkin path next week hopefully. I have been meaning to do this for years. I wanted to do crib goch but after realising that my heart will probably stop trying to do it, we have decided to go for a relatively safer path but with a bit of challenge too. I am a beginner if that’s not evident already 😊 I have been reading up on list of things to take. We will ideally go when there’s no rain forecast for Llanberis. But from what I have read that the peak could even have snow or rain in summer when you get up there (not sure how true this is). This is the list we have made of things we would need according to several websites:

Small rucksack

Suncream

Waterproof jacket/ Walking trousers

Gloves?

Map (Is there one available from any shop near the base or buy one from Amazon? Will one on a mobile be suitable?)

Whistle!?

Any advice on above.

Phil1919 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

On the whole, as long as forecast is pretty good, just use your common sense and turn round and retrace your steps if things become too unpleasant.

GridNorth 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

The popular tracks are motorways but if you are taking a map it might be worth taking a compass as well.  And learn how to use it of course. The difference between magnetic North and True North is negligible at the moment so using one is straightforward. I would also add a fleece or softshell.  Snow at this time of year is very, very unlikely but the temperature can drop dramatically as you ascend and rain is highly likely rather than merely possible. You will be able to buy a map in Llanberis.  A whistle is a good idea. The international emergency signal is 6 blasts. A torch is also recommended as is food and plenty of fluid.

I hope this does not make it sound too dramatic, it should be relatively easy in good conditions even for a novice.

Al

Shani 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

3/10

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

JLS 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

Yeah, take a hat and gloves. Assuming it’s a kinda nice day and you set out in a t-shirt, you really do still need to be taking some warm clothes (water proof jacket and fleece). If you are lucky they’ll stay in your bag but more often than not you’ll be glad of them. Going up will likely be pretty sweaty so cotton t-shirts will likely become saturated which will chill you to the bone once you reach the top and the wind hits you. If you don’t have a “wicking” man made fabric walking t-shirt, take an extra ordinary t-shirt to change into at the top.

Get orange survival bags. I mean you are never likely to need it but if god forbid you do manage to twist an ankle or something and become immobile, it will take hours for rescue to come and you’ll get very cold waiting.

If it is foggy on the top (it often is) and you get disoriented, don’t assume everyone is going the same way you want to go i.e. don’t start randomly following other people. Ask for help with directions if you become unsure of your own navigation.

Remember to snack on the way up. It very possible to run out of energy and “hit the wall” like marathon runners if you don’t.

Post edited at 12:24
 JLS 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Shani:

Surely if it was a troll it would be 0/10 due to “beginners forum zero multiplication factor”?

Trangia 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

The other very important thing you forgot to include is water!

I suggest at least 2 litres per person, even more if its very hot.

A good map is the BMC 1:40,000 scale map "Snowdonia" published by Harvey. Most local outdoor shops should stock it, otherwise try Stamfords  at Covent Garden, who would post it to you.

Post edited at 12:55
 Darron 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

You might want to pay more attention to the weather forecast than people often do. Obviously the Met office is the first stop (Snowdon mountain forecast not Llanberis). MWIS is also useful. Pay particular attention to wind speed and direction, this can have a dramatic affect on temperature (particularly if from a northerly direction). Obviously you will also be interested in the likelihood of rain and potential visibility higher up. Note carefully as you summit the way back down, which is the correct path?.

Hope you enjoy your trip - Watkin path should be more quieter than routes from the northern side.

Fruitbat 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

You mention Llanberis (only with reference to the weather forecast, I realise) but just want to check that you are aware that the Watkin path is on the other side of Snowdon from Llanberis? Obviously, if that's where you are staying or something then fine and I apologise for stating the obvious to you.

Re buying a map near the base (of the Watkin), the only handy place I can think of is Caffi Gwynant, they usually have some maps for sale but I wouldn't depend on it - really good caffi, though, highly recommended. Probably best to get a map asap so you can have a good look at what's where and get a feel for the area.

Enjoy the walk, good luck.

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for the detailed reply. We will definitely take survival bags just in case of an emergency. 

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to JLS:

Regarding 3/10, I have no idea what he meant by that lol? I just thought it was a post by mistake!?

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Cheers for that. We are getting a Harvey map for Snowdonia. I have read that apparently they are easier to follow than other maps. and yes water and snacks will definitely be included, i just forgot to list them in my post. 

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Darron:

MWIS seems more detailed than Met Office. Thank you!

Kat93 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

We are not from the area...Londoners actually. but I have friends/family in the region that we will be visiting. Our plan was to take the postcode/address of the parking for Watkin path and just pop that in GM or Waze. Llanberis I only found recently about because I couldn't find snowdon on BBC weather website so I just opted to use that as a 'guide' but since someone just told me about MWIS and its a much more detailed weather resource .

Thanks for that, I think we will get that Harvey map before we start the trip. 

Kat93 24 Aug 2019

All of you have been of fantastic help...Thank you

JLS 24 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

Shani was calling you out as a troll, ie someone seeking amusement from asking un-genuine questions. Their 3/10 rating suggests they thought your questions were fairly obviously not genuine. To be fair referring to Snowdon as “Mount Snowdon” is a classic troll move here abouts.

It is possible too, that Shani has just successfully managed to troll me.

Enjoy your walk.

machine 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Kat93:

Food and water.  First aid kit including compede compass and know how to use it sun tan lotion if its hot. Shot gun just in-case of bear attack. Condoms just incase you get lucky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...