UKC

Beginner Winter Mountain Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ldil01 11 Dec 2023

I want to get into winter mountain hiking/climbing the likes of Yr Wyddfa, Scafell, Helvellyn etc. as I build experience, not dramatically technical climbs but which would require crampons in winter conditions. Would anyone be able to recommend a boot which would be suitable for this while also being able to wear most of the year round, for the heights of summer I have a pair of Salomon Ultra 4 GTX, however would like to be able to wear this new pair around the summer months. Currently looking at the Scarpa Mescalito TRK Pro and Scarpa Mantra Tech GTX. Cheers  

Mark Bull 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Ldil01:

As long as they meet the technical spec for crampon use (at least B1 rated), then finding a pair that fit you well and are comfortable is the most important thing, so unfortunately asking for other people's recommendations is of limited help. If possible, take yourself round some gear shops and try on a range of different options. 

Billhook 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Ldil01:

And in addition to Mike's excellent advice,:-

Do not be swayed by the look of the boots - yes people do do this!!  

If they are awkward or feel too stiff soled when you walk about in the shop, then they are likely to be too stiff in the hills for use all year round use.  And you'll stop wearing them!!

Post edited at 13:55
OP Ldil01 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Mark Bull: Thanks for the advice Mark, will certainly get myself down the shops and give them a good try. 

OP Ldil01 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Billhook: Cheers Bill, will certainly take this into account, think I will have to try B1’s and B2’s to get a feel for the stiffness and decide which is more suited then. Thanks! 

olddirtydoggy 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Ldil01:

Try a stiff, leather B1 that will take a hiking crampon. I used to use a Meindl Bhutan and used them all year round. 

Always try before you buy, not all feet fit all boots.

CantClimbTom 11 Dec 2023
In reply to Ldil01:

Not the answer to your question and this won't get you front pointing up gullies , climbing steep ice or whatever (which might not happen this Winter, but we live in hope...), but if you want to graduate to more serious winter hillwalking/winter scrambling you could get onto ebay and spend £25 to get a 2nd hand pair (good condition) pair of Berghaus yeti gaiters (to fit on top of your existing walking boots), some micro spikes, good wool socks, and a walking ice axe. You could cover a lot of ground that way. Just saying...

Post edited at 17:33
 LJones14 11 Dec 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Agree in general but I've done the same with Meindl Bhutans and they weren't enjoyable in summer as they are relatively heavy and overly warm, plus they're often too wide for jamming in cracks if scrambling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...