UKC

Ben Nevis with 11 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 28 Dec 2019

Hi there,

Thinking of climbing Ben Nevis with my 11 year old son this summer.  I climbed it a few years ago with no problems.  Last June he walked 21 miles along the south coast from Corfe Castle to Weymouth.  Not high but there were some steep hills.  A total of 8 hours walking, excluding breaks.  He found it ok, not out of breath and even ran  a bit at the end.  How would he find the Nevis?  Any other suitable climbs?

We would be coming from Londom on the train to Fort William.  Any hotel or tour guide recommendations?  Thanks!

JLS 28 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User:

So long as he’s keen, he’ll be fine. I’d make sure he’s in footwear he’s well comfortable in. Won’t be fun breaking in nice new boots...

He sounds pretty robust, I'm sure he'll be fine. Make sure you know the weather forecast, have clothing for all weathers, and be prepared to turn back if things get hairy. You may need to navigate in zero visibility if mist comes in so be prepared for that, take care especially around the summit in these conditions. 

bouldery bits 28 Dec 2019

I reckon you'll have a great time. Very much doable at 11. 

OblongBob 28 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User: Took my 8 yo up this summer and he was fine with a couple of breaks. From what you describe, it sound like you’ll be ok. Try to do it on a calm day though as it’s a different proposition in string winds.  I assume you’re taking about the tourist route. As for accommodation, the glen Nevis youth hostel has been refurbished and is nice. You can start the hill very nearby too. No suggestions about tour guides. Not stayed at any of the hotels.

Removed User 29 Dec 2019

Just make sure it's a nice day and you pack a nice picnic for the summit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...