UKC

Best lowish grade (sport) crags in South Wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heavy Belay 29 Jan 2018

Hi Everyone,

Having got my first few outdoor trips in the Peak under my belt last summer, I am trying to get more experience on sport climbing ahead of a trip to Spain later this year.

Which are the best beginner crags in South Wales for a nice spring day in March (!!!!!)

thanks

Post edited at 13:56
 mik82 29 Jan 2018
In reply to heavy Belay:

If you're planning on doing a bit of sport climbing then I'd recommend getting the South Wales Rockfax guide. The Rhossili crags such as Mermaid wall are great for beginners, but March is probably a bit early in the year for them.

Removed User 29 Jan 2018
In reply to heavy Belay:

Gilwern. Lots of well bolted routes under 6c in a nice location.

GridNorth 29 Jan 2018
In reply to heavy Belay:

The best locations are probably Woodcroft Quarry or Wyndcliff Quarry at Chepstow.  The latter is a sun trap and can be warm even in winter.

Al

Climbthatpitch 29 Jan 2018
In reply to heavy Belay:

Tirpentwys is lovely but needs a dry day or 2 first

Close bolts which is always a good thing  

springfall2008 29 Jan 2018
In reply to Climbthatpitch:

It does depend on what the OP calls low grade, there isn't much below F6a worth climbing there.

OP heavy Belay 29 Jan 2018
In reply to heavy Belay:

Thanks everyone....really helpful. We lead  6a-6C inside but know it’s a different game out side. I am investing in a clip stick to protect my ankles!!! Lol!!!

In reply to heavy Belay:

Suggest you look at southwalesclimbing wikki for detailed info but Navigation has sun,longer recently rebolted routes and is less steep than the usual sport crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...