UKC

Bushcraft practice places

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lancahsire Bushcraft 07 Jan 2019

Hi,

I’m pretty new to bushcraft and looking for somewhere relatively secluded, preferably NW England or Derbyshire way where I can hike a little and hang a tarp/relax and practice some skills without stepping in anyone’s toes. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Martin

Big Steve 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Lancahsire Bushcraft:

There are several good Facebook groups for Bushcraft, have a look at those. I used to be in a few of them, people are always asking similar questions.

richprideaux 08 Jan 2019

If it's just to hang a tarp/hammock and go for a bivvy then it's the same guidelines as for wild camping in England and Wales - arrive late, leave early, leave no trace and sod off as far from humans and their corridors of travel as you think is reasonable.

A word of warning; wild camping without the permission of the landowner is 'just' trespassing - a civil matter, not necessarily criminal. If you bring knives, axes and other cutting tools into the mix then it could be construed as 'armed trespass' - much more interesting and serious in the eyes of the law.

Depends on many other factors, but worth considering.

Billhook 11 Jan 2019

I always wonder why 'bushcraft', seems to be defined by the use of a tarp and/or a hammock?  (Oh, and perhaps 'firesticks')

toad 11 Jan 2019

What aspect do you want to practice? 

Andy Johnson 11 Jan 2019
In reply to toad:

I'm not the OP, but in my experience "bushcraft" basically just means "I want to build a fire".

Please don't light fires. They annoy landowners, leave scars, and (as we saw last summer) can potentially do immense damage.

Sharp 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

That's a bit like saying wild camping is all about people turning up to road side spots in corsa's, burning living trees, getting wasted and leaving loads of rubbish. People will always light fires, bushcraft is about learning how to do it without negative consequences i.e. bringing your own wood instead of denuding the environment, choosing the site of your fire, covering your tracks before leaving.

Post edited at 12:49
 toad 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Sharp:

But the fire thing is a very real problem. The issue is that for every Ray Mears there are 4 or 5 Bear Grylls.

I suppose you don't notice the people doing it properly, just the messy gits that clear off leaving half a smouldering log they've spent half the night trying to burn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...