UKC

Crags near Aberdeen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 amadan 06 Jun 2012
Hello all,

Could any of you guys recommend the best crags round Aberdeen for a practice, looking for a good selection of diff / v diff. I was thinking on the cliffs to the south but does anyone know of a particular place that would be good.

Thanks.
 StuDoig 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan:

You'll toil for many crags with a good selection of Diff/V.diffs in one location - most likely you'll need to jump between venues doing a route or two at each. A lot of the diffs tend to be pretty grotty as well or descet routes so be wary!

Try Souterhead - a reasonable number there.

Black Rock Gulch has some good severes if you feel up to trying severe.

Theres a few diff / vdiff / severes at Pass of Ballater as well if you're further a-field. Though Ballater is best at VS+ imo.

Cheers.

StuMsg 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan:
Clach na Beinn looks good, never been before but might try it out next weekend.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=78
OP amadan 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan: Thanks for the replies. Yeah Clach Na Bhein does look like there will be plenty options so might head there if the weather is good when I get back onshore. Anyone else been here? I seem to have too much time to plan and not enough time to do these days..
 mrbird 02 Jul 2012
In reply to amadan: Buy the North East Outcrops guide. A wee booky full of all the gems in and around the North East....
 Chris wilson 02 Jul 2012
In reply to mrbird: The NEO doesn't have many good diff venues, souterhead is a good suggestion on the south aberdeen sea cliffs. Clachnaben is a great place for easy climbs but you need really good weather conditions or it can be a miserable place to try and climb, as its a very exposed position. On the north coast, you can't beat Meikle Partans and the severes are worth a go as they are well protected. Cummingston has a lot of vdiffs but they tend to be very sandy and not worth the effort imo. The diffs at the pass are reasonable too and worth a visit.
 mrbird 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris wilson: Cheers for the info. Might get to try them when/if the weather improves.
 GrahamJ 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris wilson:

Greymare?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...