UKC

DBS checks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Quagmire 31 Jul 2019

Hi

I am looking at changing career as im a mechanic at the moment and have not been enjoying it for a few years. I have always been into climbing and kayaking and really keen to get some instructor quals and make it my job. i have done hours and hours of research and despite taking a huge pay cut still very keen. The main problem i have is 2 years ago i was arrested and charged with drink driving and dangerous driving. I know all employers will require a dbs check and i am wondering if i have any chance of getting an instructors position with these offences. My question is will i be wasting my time and money chasing this dream job and end up being unemployable. 

Any advice or experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated    

richprideaux 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Quagmire:

> i am wondering if i have any chance of getting an instructors position with these offences. My question is will i be wasting my time and money chasing this dream job and end up being unemployable. 

These days the vast majority of the outdoor activity/instructing workforce is made up of independent contractors/freelancers who work for several providers.  There aren't many outdoor centre jobs around, especially in the 'traditional' sense of working 9-5 at an LEA centre with your ML, SPA and BCU quals. 

I'd also hazard a guess that there is now much more work around working with adults on challenge events etc than working with children or vulnerable people.

With regard to DBS and your past - there are a few people out there making a good living with similar convictions and worse. As long as you don't try to hide anything then it shouldn't hold you back.

Good luck with your quals and career change.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...