UKC

Fingerboard mounting help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toastmachine 24 Jul 2023

Hi guys.

I plan on buying a fingerboard but am unsure how to set one up.

I have a beam running across my hall (see photos). It feels pretty solid - Can I simply screw the fingerboard into it? Or is there more to it?

https://imgur.com/a/rbNeqaE

Thanks so much for any answers!

JLS 24 Jul 2023
In reply to Toastmachine:

Hard to tell. It looks very likely that what you see is lightweight plasterboard finishes hiding a structural steel or concrete beam. If this is the case you may struggle to get a satisfactory, sturdy fixing.

Does it sound solid when you tap it? If you are lucky the beam might be solid timber in which case it will be sturdy enough to fix to.

OP Toastmachine 24 Jul 2023
In reply to JLS:

Thanks, JLS.

It feels pretty solid to me. Is it worth trying to drill a few holes to see what's under the plaster?

Post edited at 14:31
 JLS 24 Jul 2023

Fixing to the wall above the door opening visible in one of the photos may be an easier option. There is almost certainly a timber studs in that wall that a piece of sheet plywood (say 18mm thick) could be fixed to with big screw nails; your fingerboard would then be screwed onto the plywood.

Post edited at 14:35
 JLS 24 Jul 2023

>”Is it worth trying to drill a few holes to see what's under the plaster?”

Fine if you don’t mind fixing the mess if it doesn’t pan out.  

Post edited at 14:35
OP Toastmachine 24 Jul 2023
In reply to JLS:

Thanks. Yeah I've read up that method but as I don't own a stud finder I thought a beam might have been easier. I see now that perhaps that isn't the case!

JLS 24 Jul 2023

>”I don't own a stud finder”

It’s generally not too hard to find the studs just by knocking with your fist. Just either side of the door is a good place to start looking…

David Bennett 24 Jul 2023

A combined stud / pipe / cable finder can cost as little as £20. Small change if you accidentally drill or screw into a water / gas pipe or an electric cable. Unless you are absolutely sure what’s behind I wouldn’t drill / screw without checking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...