UKC

Gym rope recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frobertson 20 Jun 2021

Hi, I imagine this has been asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere so sorry if it's a repost.

I'm looking to get a gym workhorse but can't find any comparisons anywhere online. I've been looking at ropes like petzl mambo 10.1mm or Black Diamond 9.9mm. Just wanted to check if anyone had any advice?

Thanks!

Powley 20 Jun 2021
In reply to frobertson:

10mm or more, 30meters should do it as a gym workhorse. No need for any special treatments. Worth double checking the height of your local gym's

Gwinn512 20 Jun 2021
In reply to frobertson:

Whatever is cheapest per meter, and has the lenght you need for your gym. Don't overthink it.

Cobra_Head 20 Jun 2021
In reply to frobertson:

I've always used thicker stuff at the wall 10.5 or 11mm it's easier to lower off and hold people.

The might be a problem when people get used to this and then use thinner slicker ropes outside though.

If you climb mostly indoors then it's not an issue, or if you have experienced belayers, who knows what to expect.

wbo2 21 Jun 2021
In reply to frobertson: There's plenty of 17m+ gym walls around now so even 35m gym ropes are getting too short.  I'd be looking at cheap 50m ropes - you don't need dry treatment, don't need a new rope  to go to a 20m wall , and if you thrash the last couple metres you can cut them off

PaulW 21 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Do you have a list of UK 17m+ gyms please. I can't think of any round me.

In reply to PaulW:

Straight off the top of my head, you need a 50m rope for the main overhang  wall at Awesome Walls Sheffield. Route lengths are 23m

wbo2 21 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulW: No, but locally we have a few 17m and up , and I'm not going to practice multipitching

Mark Haward 21 Jun 2021
In reply to frobertson:

Go Outdoors do the Beal Karma at 30 and 40 metre lengths, I've found these fine for climbing wall use but you may prefer thicker. 

PaulW 21 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Thanks. Perhaps i need to get out more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...