UKC

Hearing aids & sweat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Carey 10 Sep 2023

I wreck hearing aids.

I think it is due to it often getting damp due to sweat & rain.

I'm after any advice about how I could make them last longer?

I've been wearing a hearing aid in my right ear for the past 18 months.

I have moderate to severe hearing loss, although my left ear is fine.

I have a basic aid from the NHS, & it makes a good improvement on my hearing.

I am now on my 2nd one, which sadly may not last much longer.

I wear it all the time when out and about, including cycling, walking & climbing.

If I don't wear it, I really notice the tinnitus, which is very annoying & of course, I hear less.

The aid quickly starts to get mouldy & despite regular cleaning I find it hard to keep the mould at bay.

The hearing clinic have been very good and gave me a new in June as the previous one stopped working.

I suspect that they may be inclined to stop replacing them at the rate of 2 a year.

I have looked at getting a private one, but suspect it will suffer the same fate.

Clearly hearing aids are delicate devices that pack some fancy electronics into a tiny space.

Is there a way to stop wrecking hearing aids or are sweaty activities just not compatible with such devices?

Cheers, Ian.

Sean Kelly 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Carey:

If they lasted any longer, you will eventually lose one if not both! I've lost 3 this year alone!

Post edited at 13:04
 angry pirate 10 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Carey:

I'm on my second pair after the first pair malfunctioned but they have lasted really well so far after three or so years.

I wear mine all the time including for walking, climbing and mountain biking and they have had their fair share of sweat and proper rain without incident. I don't use them road biking but that's mainly as I listen to music instead.

Mine are Phonax NHS jobs. The audiologist who set them up told me I didn't need to be too precious with them so I haven't.

nniff 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Carey:

I wear Phonak ones.  I've not noticed a problem at all, including road cycling in very, very hot and humid places (26C at 3:30 am).

As far as losing them is concerned, mine have an extra little plastic loop for the in-ear bit that secures them a bit more, but if climbing I hold them in place with a bit of micropore tape (usually ask someone to do it for me as i seem to lack the spatial awareness to do it myself!)

andymorris17 11 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Carey:

I have a pair of NHS Oticon ones, and have a little grey case to carry them in. I don't tend to wear them climbing as most of my partners know to shout/be a bit louder and I feel they get in the way a bit especially if wearing a helmet. I haven't broken a pair yet but have had them get wet from rain and sweat like yourself. My solution to keep them dry and free of mould was to put a couple of packets of silica gel in the grey carry case - something you could try perhaps? Regularly cleaning the in-ear tubes is never a bad idea either as I imagine they can pass warm air from the ear into the aid.

OP Ian Carey 15 Sep 2023
In reply to Ian Carey:

Many thanks for the comments & advice.

I think I need to clean it more often, get a case & accept that I may wreck it occasionally.

At least the NHS still provide a free aid. In many health systems such things are only obtainable privately and they are very expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...