UKC

How to Solo Belaying UK [VIDEO]

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wjlacey 28 Mar 2018

Manchester Buttress (HS 4b) Stanage Popular

Ey up guys. I've been struggling to find partners recently and have been going out and finding ways to climb safely alone. This is my Video of how i do it for anyone who's interested. If admin don't want this here, let me know or delete the post. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18tq8oSIdE&t=4s

discosucks 28 Mar 2018
In reply to wjlacey:

Very good!

I use a similar set up and it works fine, 

it's hard to tell from the video but one possible change would be to use a static line for the microtrax line . I just do it as I feel a static line would be more likely handle a fall on the micro's sharp teeth . 

To position the microtaction higher i use a short sports quick draw with two lockers to give it a bit of height , then an old head touch head band around my neck which is connected to the micro in a similar way to yours . I did it this way as its stretchy and I can whip it off really quickly if needs be . 

It's also worth mentioning that having some prusik loops , slings and a knife may come in handy in the event some thing get's jammed and you have to un-weight a rope . Now this is unlikely in straight forward climb were you can probably always get a foot hold but if you ended up hanging in free space it might be important . 

Nice work ! people are always asking how to do this , and this is a clear video . 

Oogachooga 28 Mar 2018
In reply to wjlacey:

It's satisfying isn't it getting out climbing when everyone else is busy or boring!

Interesting method. I go for a shunt personally (read about my method here: http://www.topropefreeclimber.com/2017/07/how-to-top-rope-solo-with-shunt.h...) and using backup knots it works smooth enough.

One thing I like about your method is the ease of descending. 

Have fun!

Post edited at 17:58
 mauraman 30 Mar 2018
In reply to wjlacey:

Same principle but I use two ascenders so i don't have to stop and use one hand to pull in the slack, the ascenders just follow me upward on each rope, provided that both ropes are weighted.

Anth 30 Mar 2018
In reply to wjlacey:

I'm new to top rope soloing but after doing a lot of research I settled on a croll on a sling chest harness as primary (with a quickdraw to keep it in place) and micro traxion second. Only had one session on an easy local route to get used to it but works well for me. Need to weight the rope so boots come in handy. ATC and prusik to get back down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...