UKC

Know anyone teaching trad from around Glasgow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 12 Nov 2017

Experienced indoor lead and moderately experienced outdoor climber looking for instruction on trad. Redpointing 6c+ outdoors. If you're just starting out as an instructor and willing to give a discount, or just a kind person willing to share your knowledge, then let me know. Cheers!
Post edited at 00:58
 FactorXXX 12 Nov 2017
In reply to anonymous123:

The other alternative is to go out climbing with a mate. Drop some grades and have a bag full of fun learning to trad climb using your own initiative.
Rigid Raider 12 Nov 2017

Somehow this post makes me feel a bit sad; the sport of rock climbing has been so reduced to a series of moves in an entirely artificial environment that some people actually don't know how to go out, find a piece of rock and climb up it using ropes to protect themselves. The same applies to so-called mountain bikers who have only ever cycled in the artificial environment of a trail centre and have never just taken a map and ridden out into the mountains to enjoy the real environment. What a strange situation.
 Pids 12 Nov 2017

Have you looked out the window recently - there won't be much trad climbing done for the next wee while around Glasgow!

Why not hook up with one of the clubs in the local area, they will have experienced folk who are willing to pass on advice / knowledge and will generally take you out in the local crags when the weather warms up.
 John Kelly 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:

you should move to Cumbria - sun splitting trees
 Fraser 12 Nov 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

As it is in Glasgow It's just Baltic cold!
 John Kelly 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Just got call, off to Yorkshire, controversial!
 climbwhenready 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Cheer up, the guy's climbing 6c+ outdoors.

"Find a piece of rock and climb up it" as advice for learning trad climbing is a good way to get yourself killed.
anonymous123 12 Nov 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'd rather take the guesswork out of it... broken bones are more costly than trad instruction.
anonymous123 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:

Yeah, I suppose it was wishful thinking. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone in a club.
anonymous123 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Sounds quite elitist, but I understand where you're coming from. I do actually go out and climb up rock using ropes (on bolted routes).
 Pids 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:

Love it, offer a guy advice (to join a club, meet other climbers and learn from them) and got a dislike - wonder why so many people choose not to post, oh well.

Rockface - hope you manage to find folk to take you out and show you the ropes, best speak to folk though as opposed to posting on here it seems

Hi there,

I’m currently training to become a mountain guide.

I need to practice teaching climbing, as I prepare for my assessment next September.

I would be more than happy to introduce you to climbing for a couple of days. Realistically it won’t be until spring 2018 now, as the weather’s not great.

I’m based between North Wales and Sheffield, but would be more than happy to meet you in the Lakes District and climb there for a few days.

Drop me an email if you’re interested. It would probably be best if you brought along a keen mate, as you can both learn together.

Tom
 John Kelly 12 Nov 2017
You could probably get a lot out of a decent book

https://rockrun.com/blogs/the-flash-rock-run-blog/10-great-instructional-bo...

Craig Luebens book might cover most topics

South facing crags on sunny days can great all year round
Post edited at 19:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...