UKC

Photographers questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LunaD 21 May 2018

Hi there.
I'm just starting out climbing and will be visiting the island of Lundy next week with my club. I'm not expecting to do many routes but would like to get some images of the other members climbing while on the island.

Really looking for tips on locations/routes to photograph, and also tips on camera gear and rigs other than obviously having them attached to you.

Thanks in advance
Dave

In reply to LunaD:

As always, a lot will depend on you, what kit you have, what routes you might climb and how comfortable you are on the rough ground things like descent routes cover.

The obvious location is the Devil's Slide area.  There are some good photo opportunities from the descent route and while you're climbing, particularly on the easy-angled lower part of the slab (eg https://www.flickr.com/photos/8411024@N08/8019799918/in/dateposted-public/ ).  If you pick a suitable safe spot on the descent route you can catch climbers on the routes on the slab, or if you climb the classic severe up the slab, The Devil's Slide (HS 4a) or the equally good VS in the corner Albion (VS 4c) and take a compact camersa with you, there'll be opportunities for good shots; having a camera with you when you're sat on the belay at the end of either climb gives you the opportunity to get a shot or two of climbers on the last leftward traverse of the Devil's Slide too.

From memory, there may also be the opportunity for some good shots either from the base or again the descent route for Diamond Solitaire (VS 4c).  Again, a compact camera might serve you better than something more bulky (and fragile).

But others will know far more than I; try looking through galleries on here and seeing where shots were taken.  Fabulous place, and I'm sure you'll return with some great shots and fine climbs under your belt.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...