UKC

Skin care

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eve.G 21 Feb 2018

Climbing is not kind to the body, but it can be especially cruel to skin on the hands.

How do you take care of your skin? 

I've seen people leave the crag with chalky hands. I've seen people always wash their hands/use wet wipes and then immediately apply hand cream. 

I've met a guy with sandpaper in the toilet so he could sand down his calluses while... you know...

What do you do? Any products or procedures you swear by?

OllieBarker 21 Feb 2018
In reply to queenmargo:

I don't do anything really. I've heard many conflicting ideas about skincare. I've keep tempted to start sandpapering down my calluses recently since they've been getting more prominent, but I haven't had an issue with flappers (touch wood) in many many months.

Post climb though, I always thoroughly wash my hands. Either in the toilets at an indoor wall or using baby wipes if I've been outside.

Steve Hayward 21 Feb 2018
In reply to queenmargo:

I used to suffer from split/dry cuticles and have had the odd flapper so now I wash/wet wipe my hands after I have finished climbing, using a sensitive skin type soap/wipe.

I then apply a bit of 'Climb On' to make sure they don't dry out.

I file down any skin that's too thick and crusty with a nail file in the evenings.

Every night before I go to sleep, I put on a liberal layer of Burts Bees hand cream. 

If I looked after my face like I do my hands, I'd look ten years younger!

Ps I've also heard that some chalks are more drying on hands than others. I have very sweaty pores and have found Metolius Super chalk is best for me. But I've been told that this is because they add an extra drying agent. If your hands are prone to drying Moon Chalk does have the extra agent.

Jon Greengrass 21 Feb 2018
In reply to queenmargo:

I don't use chalk it dries and irritates my skin.

I always wash my hands with old fashioned soap and water before and after climbing.

I use Lansinoh pure lanolin cream on splits and callouses to keep the skin tough yet supple. I  sand down very thick callouses so I don't end up with flappers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...