UKC

Via ferrata rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 03 Jan 2020

When I and my friends have been doing via Ferrata in the dolomites it occurred to me that I didn't know how to rescue/ haul someone up who has fallen off and their breakline has gone. Could anyone advise how to get them back onto the trail. Thanks

krikoman 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Anonymous:

knife?

Trangia 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Anonymous:

>  Could anyone advise how to get them back onto the trail. 

With great difficulty. Best to avoid doing overhanging VFs which not well within the capability and strength of everyone in the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=awORVMs_4d0

JLS 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Anonymous:

>"rescue/ haul someone up who has fallen off"

I once "rescued" a guy who had literally extausted their arms haulling themselves up the VF cable.

In practice that meant belaying them on a very tight rope over a 4 or 5m steep section they were having real trouble with, such that every inch they managed to move I could hold. Inch by inch he got over the section and onto easier ground.

I had a short bit of 8mm rope, couple of crabs and belay device. That was enough. If he'd been fully incapacitated I doubt I'd have had enough equipment to arrange a proper hawl - he was a big guy - even with pulleys and me as a counter-weight it wasn't going to be enough. In any event, if he was so incapacitated he wouldn't have made it on the easier ground and a full on rescue would have been needed anyway.

djwilse 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Painful to watch that - as with most things avoiding the scenario is the best, either in route choice or in that case a simple 'rester' krab to clip in to a rung for a rest - many newer VF set ups have a specific loop for this, otherwise a short sling larks footed in to harness.

OP -As for rescues having a short length of rope can really help with mini hauls, you can also do a very short counter balance haul with a deployed leash through a Krab.

FBSF 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Anonymous:

Creating a 3:1 pulley with a short section of rope/krabs and a sling wouldnt be very hard to lift them off whatever they are hanging on . What you do with them is a different matter....

Dark-Cloud 03 Jan 2020
In reply to JLS:

I once "rescued" a couple of Swiss lads who had clipped their via ferrata lanyard to their gear loops on their harnesses (all still with tags on) that i first noticed when they followed us across a wire rope bridge.

To the OP, also depends what sort of state the fallen person is in, just a slump onto a lanyard with knackered arm is a very different proposition to an unconscious climber who has taken a big fall.

GrahamD 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Anonymous:

1) dial 112

Baz P 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Trangia:

I’ve seen that video before but seeing it again makes me think what a dick head the person was taking the video. That poor guy was clearly out of his depth with no clue as to how to secure himself and didn’t deserve his so called mate laughing and making no attempt to help. 
The guy’s lanyards had extended and he was very lucky he got away with falling a second time. 
As well as using a crab on the Ferrata gear if I need a rest, I now find the Petzl Connect to be a great bit of kit as it is fully adjustable for length. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...