UKC

Where to start?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Niku 10 Sep 2022

Heya, I’m here till mid January before I head back home to Australia, I’ve been really into the hillwalking and hiking and would like to get into climbing.

I’m not too sure where to start with it all though, I’m living in East Kilbride outside of Glasgow so am not sure whether to head into the city to a climbing centre or look into any groups around here that would accept a temporary beginner?

I’d like to continue when I get back home but am too excited to wait till then. Any help would be appreciated, cheers in advance!

Oogachooga 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

Hi, Easiest way would be to search UKC by crag and find somewhere that may be quite popular for bouldering or climbing and head over with a bouldering matt or climbing gear (but the right way around 😂). Good luck!

Graeme G 10 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

A quick Google suggests there’s a wall in East Kilbride? Could maybe find partners there? There’s also a number of Facebook groups  - central belt trad being one.

Good luck finding connections.

JLS 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

There is a club/group that meet up on Monday nights at the Glasgow Climbing centre that welcome all. Scottish Hillwalking and Activities Group.

Link: https://www.meetup.com/scottish-hillwalkers/?_cookie-check=_D0H0e8swjAI82Ju

Post edited at 10:56
 Rog Wilko 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

Hope you live near Mt Arapiles

OP Niku 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I wish! I’m in Adelaide though so it’s only a days drive away. Hoping to get more into climbing while in uni back home so will hopefully I’ll get there someday 

OP Niku 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Looks good, I’ll have to check it out, cheers!

olddirtydoggy 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

I had friends who helped me but they insisted I get a 4 session intro course behind me to get the basics in place.

Some walls offer these into courses where they will teach you the basic belaying and safety. With that behind you it might be there are some groups or others you meet that will be willing to partner up. A harness, chalk bag, belay plate and shoes will get you going at an indoor wall.

Personally we don't bother indoor climbing unless it's bouldering in the winter to stay in shape but the outdoor side of things can open up quite quickly if you put yourself out there.

OP Niku 13 Sep 2022
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for the recommendation. I joined and am doing some bouldering with them this week!

JLS 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Niku:

You are welcome. Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...