UKC

NW outdoors shop, Ullapool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewis climber 04 Oct 2004
Some folk may know that the "Mountain Supplies" shops in Aviemore & Ullapool closed recently, apparently due to financial problems which I know nothing about so will not speculate on. The original shop in Perth may or may not still be open.Anyway to get to the point, whilst there is no shortage of climbing shops in Aviemore, there is in Ullapool so it is good to know that the shop & cafe in Ullapool reopened a few weeks ago as "North West outdoors". The shop is alright with a good though not massive range and the cafe is quite pleasant too so lets hope it stays open this time!
By the way I've nothing to do with the business but had some good service from the Ullapool MS shop in the past (who were happy to send kit on the ferry free of charge) so I thought I'd give them a plug.
grumpytramp 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Lewis climber:

Thats a shame ....... great shops. Hope that the Perth store survives, their spring and autumn sales are a legend (virtually the entire stock discounted!)
Anita 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Lewis climber: I think I was in the Perth shop less than a couple of months ago so I think it is still going. It's a shame the others closed, the aviemore one always seemed pretty busy when I was in it and the cafe was good too. Bought quite a few bits and bobs from them and if I remember correctly MCofS members got a discount, though I'm not sure whether this still applies.
 DougG 05 Oct 2004

Thanks for the tip. I've had a few bargains from the Ullapool shop over the years so glad to hear it's still around in one form or another.
Iain Forrest 05 Oct 2004
A real shame. I'll try pop into North West Outdoors for a look (and perhaps a cake) when I'm up there later this month. As you say, there aren't a lot of outdoor shops in the North West, I hope this one is successful.
 Norrie Muir 05 Oct 2004
The original shop in Perth may or may not still be open.

Dear Lewis

One week-end, I got off the bus at Perth to hitch up to Braemar. I realised I had forgotten my gas stove, so I went into that shop and explained the situation and adding I had no money or credit card on me. I got a stove and when I got back home I phoned my credit card details. So good luck to them as they seen me OK.

Norrie
grumpytramp 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Perth shop is definately open ..... was in on Saturday!
Removed User 05 Oct 2004
Was up there twice over the Summer and on both occasions it was shut; I had been looking for a few odds and ends I had forgotten. Good to know they are back open as I will be up there at the end of the month (I'll have a cake as well Iain if you're paying!!!)and will probably have forgotten somethoing again.
heather monkey 05 Oct 2004
> the shop & cafe in Ullapool reopened a few weeks ago as "North West outdoors". The shop is alright with a good though not massive range and the cafe is quite pleasant too so lets hope it stays open this time!

Knowing the 2 lads involved in the NEW (not reopened) shop in Ullapool I'd say wrt the range of stock available - if they dont have exactly what you want, ask them! I'm pretty sure they'll be doing what they can to build up a loyal set of regulars! I'm also sure that the range will expand with time, both of the individuals concerned have plenty experience in the outdoor retail sector.

> By the way I've nothing to do with the business but had some good service from the Ullapool MS shop in the past (who were happy to send kit on the ferry free of charge) so I thought I'd give them a plug.

I've got nothing to do with the business either but AM hoping a further shameless plug might earn me a discount when I go in looking for new rock shoes at the weekend!

DougG 05 Oct 2004
In reply to heather monkey:

Tut tut tut, first whiskies, now outdoor shops... what will you be plugging next?

"... this commercial was brought to you by HM Enterprises..."
Iain Forrest 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Removed User:
> I'll have a cake as well Iain if you're paying!!!
Deal, provided you pay for the pies at Lochinver after we have a climb at Reiff...
OP Lewis climber 05 Oct 2004
In reply to heather monkey: Sorry I presumed it was basically a reincarnation of the old shop as a new business, but with some of the old staff. Anyway good luck to them whoever they are!
As I said they were happy to send stuff over on the ferry in the past (no extra charge) which is a real bonus as getting stuff mail order can be a nightmare on the island. Some companies refuse to send stuff off the mainland at all and others subcontract to clown courier firms who leave a note asking you to pick up from the local depot in Inverness!
Removed User 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Iain Forrest:
I cannae help feeling I've been stiffed......
heather monkey 05 Oct 2004
I'd imagine the delivery arrangements will probably be uneffected
The two guys with the new business have both had experience in the EXACT area (if you know what I mean!!)
 Simon Caldwell 05 Oct 2004
In reply to grumpytramp:
> virtually the entire stock discounted

which might explain their financial difficulties
Anita 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Iain Forrest: hmmm lochinver pies.... got to be the best pies on the planet, enormous, tasty and loads of choice of fillings..
Iain Forrest 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Anita:
And (although I've never tried this) available by post:
http://www.piesbypost.co.uk/
Anita 05 Oct 2004
In reply to Iain Forrest: Hmmm I knew that too, I can picture a pies by post party...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...