UKC

Kayakers - are you out there...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nelberto Rockostaro 01 Apr 2005
I was just wondering after seeing the sea thread how many people on here do a little white water. Also what grade do you Yak at and what boats...
AnthonyB 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Nelberto Rockostaro:

Got me a prozone, do a little white water about grade 4 is good. Done a bit of sea paddling but got very bored!!
James G 01 Apr 2005

I don't have a kayak but I do paddle an open canoe. It's a 16 foot mobile adventure prospector PE. I've only had it for 2 weeks and have so far only paddled up to grade II. I'm trying to convince the guy at the front end that grade III is a good idea, but he's not so sure. I think he got worried when I suggested that we buy helmets and have a go at town falls (IV) in LLangollen.

James G
 graeme jackson 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Nelberto Rockostaro: I paddle up to grade 4 in a pyrhana H3. Mostly around scotland as i'm in the edinburgh kayak club.
 Rowie B 01 Apr 2005

I don't do as much as I used to. Nothing harder (so far) than Grade 3 on the river but did a wicked 3 week sea kayaking trip in Patagonia. Not boring at all - too much wildlife (penguins!) and fantastic scenery to look at!

Don't know anything about what models of kayaks are good though.
Nelberto Rockostaro 01 Apr 2005
In reply to graeme jackson:

H3 - lucky b@ard, G3 and inna zones the best I get to paddle!
 Bokonon 01 Apr 2005

I paddle badly on the whole, sometimes up to grade 4, often swimming - it comes of a consequence of having friends who are a lot better paddlers than my self. Always a lot of fun though. I paddle a Wavesport X.
 grizz 01 Apr 2005

I paddle a lot mainly white water up to grade5 in a bliss stick Rad 185. I have also tried to start discussions a number of times on this website but not had much luck so it's good to see some response. I quite often see cars with uprights (for carrying kayaks) on roof racks at climbing venues but don't meet many people who make the crossover.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Bokonon:

i can vouch for bokonon's crap paddling ability, however he can follow me and others down grade four stuff so he ain't too bad, even if it is more by luck than judgement that he's avoided a few potentially horrendous swims (upper spean, with snow on the ground!)

so i paddle grade five on occasion, but happiest on four, paddle a pyranha S8, which is entertaining when everyone esle you boat with is in meaty creekers. (and they're shitting themselves too)

GTE
magic 01 Apr 2005

Yep I'm a paddler too (more than climbing now really, maybe I should leave now). Paddling grade 3/4, usually badly. Like the sea kayaking too but don't often get a chance. Anyone else do canoe polo?
 Wyddfa 01 Apr 2005

I jointly run our local club. I paddle an I:3 at the moment.
Favourite river: Upper Tawe - grade 4 (5+ in flood, not my cuppa though). Big into surf kayaking too (Llangennith, Gower is my haunt).
One of my best experiences in a kayak, was sea kayaking with the Seals playing and following me, off the coast of Cardigan.

Steve.
kayaker 02 Apr 2005

paddle for 20+ years (doesnt seem that long) paddle mostly grade 4 and 5 when i havent looked at the rapid! But then again the higher grades sometimes look more appealing, grading can be so subjective.

paddle in north wales mostly, and the severn bore when it is going.

kayak: foreplay, polo boat, battered slalom kayak and sometimes a river racer.
 54ms 02 Apr 2005
Jointly run my Uni club, but I took it up around the same time as climbing and it comes a distinct second. Did the Tyne Tour last year and the rapids at Barasford are apparently a 3+, which I survived through luck rather then any real skill. Don't seem to scare myself in kayaks, unlike climbing, but this probably not a good thing.

Also a Trainee Level 2 Open Boat Coach and doing my L2 Kayak later this year.
 NickJH 02 Apr 2005
Also surprised more climbers don't paddle as the activities work well together; rain-wet crags go paddling, lack of water-dry crags go climbing. Can often combine both activities around this time of year over in N.Wales and later on in the Alps. Have paddled extensively around the Briancon area whilst on climbing trips based in Ailefroid. Have also combined paddling in Slovenia with climbing in the Dolomites. A somewhat cooler option combines ice/mixed in Scotland at New Year with paddling during the thaws.
For the record paddle an i3 on mainly G4
jolly_rancher 02 Apr 2005

Hi guys, any of you boaters need a boat? i'm selling a dagger super ego and thought maybe someone on this forum may be interested??

anyway i'm asking £200 for it and i can send photos if required...

cheers
 Paul at work 03 Apr 2005

Generally paddle at about grade 3 in both kayak and open boat. Occasionally grade 4 in a kayak.

I have a Inazone 232 and a LL Hoss. My aim at the moment is to do my five star in the next year or so.
 joebepi 03 Apr 2005

i luv paddling- but i also luv climbing. its also great because you can go through "phases" of luving one more than the other, knowing the less luved one is still there and ready to be luved again soon enough.

and yeah it means theres always something to do!
 Tom W 03 Apr 2005
Been paddling for for about 18 months (just less than I have been climbing).I paddle a Hoss and a G-Force 6.3, mostly 3+/4. Used to paddle a Spanish Fly (OC1).

I'd much rather a good paddling day, but still love climbing, and they do work well together as sports.
 robbo11 03 Apr 2005
paddle grade 5/5+ and in 6ft surf. got a surf boat, creek boat, playboat and a sea kayak.

Get scared leading anythying above Diff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...