UKC

Book Reviews and Competition!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We have been given 3 copies of Scotland’s Mountain Ridges and 2 copies of Walks and Scrambles in Norway to give away in a free competition. In the following article Chris Craggs takes a look at two new books and at the end of the review are two easy questions.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=200

Get your answers in soon! We will draw the five winners at the end of May.
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
"Ordinance Survey 1:50,000 maps have been used throughout (though for Skye the 1:25,000 is recommended as being more appropriate)"

Strange - I can't think of anything less appropriate for Skye than the totally unusable OS 1:25,000!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 May 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The comment in the book is followed by "The Harvey's Super Walker 1;25,000 (and 1,12,500 enlargement) is perhaps the clearest of all."

Either way surely the 1:25,000 must be better than the 1:50,000?

Chris

A good % of the entries so far obviously haven't read the question properly!

Chris
rich 16 May 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs: i went on a course with Plas Y Brenin in Scotland on which they argued that for scotland mountains the level combination of the level of detail on 25s combined with the terrain made them problematic for navigation and that the contours on 50s were much better at giving you the shape of the land which is more useful in country where you have less fence lines and other such features - something like that anyway
luke_brown 16 May 2006
Yes I was told a similar thing on my winter mountaineering course. We used the 1:50,000 maps as they show the shape of the terrain better than the 1:25,000 which are too detailed.
 Horse 16 May 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Can we have another go then?
In reply to Horse:

If you are one of those who have failed to read the instructions and now realise it - feel free to have another go.

Chris
 Simon Caldwell 17 May 2006
> Either way surely the 1:25,000 must be better than the 1:50,000?

Have you seen the OS 1:25,000?
A soiled paper hanky would be more helpful.
In reply to luke_brown: How can a map be too detailed surely the more detailed the better? I've got a 1:25000 for the cairngorms and it's much better than the 1:50000
mik 17 May 2006
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

somtimes you drown in the details on the 1:25000 and its harder to make anything out.
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
I would scan in sections of the various maps so you can see for yourself - but the OS are notoriously litigious about such things, so get yourself down to Waterstones and have a look...
or go to http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm find Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh (search for Broadford and scroll) and zoom in...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 May 2006

Why don't you just hold it at arms length?

Chris
In reply to mik: In general, yes, 1:50,000 is better on mountains. But for the Cuillin I think the reverse is true. Having said that, Harvey's is more user friendly than either; usually I prefer the OS, but not on Skye. But who needs a map really anyway? Best method of navigation on the Cuillin is to smell your way along - it's the only way to do it in the cloud.
 Wibble Wibble 18 May 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

Never mind the map scale's, excellent book Dan.
In reply to Wibble Wibble: Cheers Wibble, glad you like it
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 May 2006

One week to go to the closing date - 142 entries so far, with five prizes to go at those are fair odds.
Any more takers?

Chris
 Ands 23 May 2006

I made an incorrect entry (oo er missus!) and then read the question properly as you suggested and have now made a second, hopefully correct this time, entry.

Cheers,

Ands
 Ands 23 May 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

If I had known you were going to be famous I would have gotten you to sign those Evolv's I got off you!

Well done. A great looking effort.

Ands
In reply to Ands: Oh god, not another bloody autograph hunter. Fame can be so hard.

Thanks for the compliment though!
 SonyaD 23 May 2006
In reply to dan bailey: Have entered this competition. Fingers crossed I will get my freebie book
mik 23 May 2006
In reply to lasonj:
did it take you till today to get the spelling right???
 SonyaD 23 May 2006
In reply to mik: Haha! No I entered that day that we spoke via mail. And I do seem to recall it was yourself that got the spelling of Q1 wrong ;oP
 SonyaD 23 May 2006
In reply to mik: And I was speaking to Dan, cos I was trying to wangle a free book from him a while back.
 Norrie Muir 23 May 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

Dear dan

I will not be able to recommend your book, as I never buy books or win competitions. Good luck with the book.

Norrie
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 May 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

I'm not surprised you never win - you haven't entered!

Chris
In reply to Norrie Muir: Probably not your thing anyway Norrie. You'd probably think it was a book of walks and easy descent routes, and stuffed with sensationalist waffle. But thanks for the good wishes!
 Norrie Muir 24 May 2006
In reply to dan bailey:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) Probably not your thing anyway Norrie. You'd probably think it was a book of walks and easy descent routes, and stuffed with sensationalist waffle. Dear dan

You are probably right, if, you included any quality of Scotland’s Mountain’s ridges, I would have done them, no matter how easy/hard they were. I prefer the real thing rather than reading about it.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir: Well said Norrie. Oops, I mean, buy this book folks, it's essential.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...