UKC

what grade should i be climbing ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jamesil 25 May 2006
im 15 years old can ne1 tell me what kinda of triad cliff grade i should be capable 2 climb ?
brothersoulshine 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

Start low and see how you get on. There's no "should".
 S Andrew 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

Sheesh. British education. Best in the world, eh?
In reply to jamesil:

>triad cliff grade

Do the Chinese mafia have their own rock grades?

Davie
mac_climb 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: depends on a lot of factors, natral ability, strength, how often u climb.
 Ands 25 May 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

> >triad cliff grade
>
> Do the Chinese mafia have their own rock grades?

To be honest mate I didn't even know Harry Webb was Chinese.

Ands

Reaver2k 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

What a silly topic, try climb a v.diff, then try a severe and carry on until exhaustion.
 Mutl3y 25 May 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine, Rid Skewer, I am the God of Strathyre, mac climb, Ands & Reaver2k:

none of you should have given this post the reply it didn't deserve. let's leave future inane questions to die of non-reply death and help keep these forums clean.

please...
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:
> im 15 years old can ne1 tell me what kinda of triad cliff grade i should be capable 2 climb ?

Is this a troll, if not I'll give you a proper answer.
 The Pylon King 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

VS is attainable by most able bodied persons
Marts 25 May 2006
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to jamesil)
>
> VS is attainable by most able bodied persons

Able bodied with brains I would have thought though.
 Ands 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y:

> none of you should have given this post the reply it didn't deserve.

If that were the way of things then this forum would die on it's arse with about 3 posts a week.

Ands
Carpe Diem 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

Ignore all the crap that comes flying in your direction.

This place is the heathrow airport of crap throwing.

Some of it is very very funny though,and there are some really great people on here with the sharpest wit you'll see around.

Cant think of one person who posts on here regularly who's a nkob.

give as good as you get, oh, and you should try starting on V-diff( out doors is a diferent animal) and just see how it goes.Everyone has different skills and abilites,so just go out and do what you can.Nobody will give you grief for that.

Be safe
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans: OK at 15 I was leading VS, at 16 E2 even though the grade didnt exist then. We had no climbing walls to train on, if you are ever going to be any good (and its a serious decision to decide if you really want to be or just enjoy climbing) you should be on E1 these days at 15, work it from there.
Al
 Mutl3y 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Al Evans) OK at 15 I was leading VS, at 16 E2 even though the grade didnt exist then.

Well look here at mr big shot. Well then Al (if that is your name) what have you ever done on grit!?
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y: How many new routes do you want me to name?
Look stop pissing about and get stuck in. You asked, I told you.
Al
And good luck
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y: This really is a troll isnt it, I shouldnt have risen to it but I'm a sucker for the young guys coming up, when will I ever learn?
 Ands 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

> but I'm a sucker for the young guys coming up

I had heard that.

Ands

Ands 25 May 2006
In reply to Carpe Diem:

> Cant think of one person who posts on here regularly who's a nkob.

True. I post very irregularly.

Ands
 Mutl3y 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Yes. You finally got it

Ands - don't go around thinking that replying to crap like this is a way of breathing life into the dying corpse of UKC - it's much more resiliant than that. If we let it be it can be far greater than any of us could possibly imagine (including Norrie).

Cheers
M
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y: PS, I come from Walkley too and you should really be able to better than this at trolling. Or in fact just stop being so pathetic.
Al
 Mutl3y 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans: That's outrageous libel! I'll have you for that !!!

Serously, I've never trolled in my life and am not about to start now...
 IOAN D 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: Dont worry about what grade you are climbing at the most important thing is that you really enjoy going out and that you are keeping at a solid grade and that you are very compitent at that grade. But again the most important thing is that you enjoy it, thats what i think about it anyway and im fortunate enough to be able to go out most days and that i train alot- i am very pleased that i led at E4 when i was 15- but i only turned 16 few weeks back so starting to push myself a little. But i just enjoy geting out on the rock and thats how your grade increaces. had some hair raising expiriences allredy but thats what climbing for me is about and getting over that boundry.
good climbing mate
 Ands 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y:

> Ands - don't go around thinking that replying to crap like this is a way of breathing life into the dying corpse of UKC - it's much more resiliant than that.

Thanks for the advice newbie..

Ands
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Mutl3y: S'bullshit, you know who I am and you are taking the piss, you are either trolling or stupid.
Carpe Diem 25 May 2006
In reply to IOAN D:
> (In reply to jamesil) Dont worry about what grade you are climbing at the most important thing is that you really enjoy going out and that you are keeping at a solid grade and that you are very compitent at that grade. But again the most important thing is that you enjoy it, thats what i think about it anyway and im fortunate enough to be able to go out most days and that i train alot- i am very pleased that i led at E4 when i was 15- but i only turned 16 few weeks back so starting to push myself a little. But i just enjoy geting out on the rock and thats how your grade increaces. had some hair raising expiriences allredy but thats what climbing for me is about and getting over that boundry.
> good climbing mate

Was that all in one breath?

Mutl3y 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Do you mean the grit comment? Yeah, that deserved a <wink> face or something but I didn't think about it.

I thought you were accusing me of being jamesil or summat and i got defensive.
 IOAN D 25 May 2006
In reply to Carpe Diem: Yes hahaha just practising my controled breathing!
Carpe Diem 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

Slight side track here:

noticed on your photo's "Al Evans collection, Apr 2006"

Are these available on line to see?
Do they include the west ridge photo's ( if any)

Cheers

CD
Carpe Diem 25 May 2006
In reply to IOAN D:

nice one bach!

Be safe

superfurrymonkey 25 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: Mix it up with some bouldering and you could be climbing any grade you want in a year!!
 Al Evans 25 May 2006
In reply to Carpe Diem: Sorry all my west ridge photos are on slides not digi, I'm so crap at new technology I've not yet worked out how to post them on line, I will though!
Carpe Diem 25 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

Darn !
 Simon Caldwell 26 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:
When I was 15 I just about managed to walk up Snowdon by the path next to the railway. We ran down, as they wouldn't let us take the train, we were wearing trainers, jeans, and no waterproofs, and it had started to rain.

It was another 15 years before I did anything graded as a rock climb though.

Hope this helps
Carpe Diem 26 May 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to jamesil)
> When I was 15 I just about managed to walk up Snowdon by the path next to the railway. We ran down, as they wouldn't let us take the train, we were wearing trainers, jeans, and no waterproofs, and it had started to rain.

Did they have trains back then???
>
> It was another 15 years before I did anything graded as a rock climb though.
>
> Hope this helps

Fiend 26 May 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:

> Start low and see how you get on. There's no "should".

I know some forums where if a pointless question is asked, and the correct answer is given straight away, the topic is locked. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.
 Al Evans 26 May 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to jamesil)
> When I was 15 I just about managed to walk up Snowdon by the path next to the railway. We ran down, as they wouldn't let us take the train, we were wearing trainers, jeans, and no waterproofs, and it had started to rain.
>
> It was another 15 years before I did anything graded as a rock climb though.
>
> Hope this helps
Point I was making Simon is that it doesnt have to be like that, all my peers, Geoff Birtles, Jack Street, Chris Jackson, Paul Nunn and Rod Haslam were all climbing E2 by the time we were 16, it was nothing special.
When the next year we went to the Alps we did very early ascents of The Gervasutti Pillar, The West Face of the Peteite Jorrasses, The West Face of the Blatiere and made attempts on the Bonnatti pillar, The Walker Spur and the North Face of the Eiger, Jack and Paul actually succeeded on the Walker and the Bonnatti but mine and Rods attempts were foiled by weather. Jack also did the first british ascent of the Phillipe Flamme on Civetta with Leo Dickenson. Our first alpine season!
It was always just accepted amongst us that we could do it, teenagers need arrogance to overcome their insecurity. As Ben Bransby, Leo Holding and Tom Briggs have done since, and as Joe and Don did before and inspired us, there are many more I could mention Al McHardy and Tut and loads of others.
Dont limit yourselves because of your age is the message I'm trying to send. Ron could do E3 by the time he was 14, have vision and focus and you can do it.
Al

tony 26 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Simon Caldwell)
> [...]
> Point I was making Simon is that it doesnt have to be like that,

And the point Simon was making, I think, was that there is no 'should' about it for any age. Some people will be climbing hard stuff at age 15, some won't go near rock for ages.

For a 15-year old who's obviously just starting, saying that he could be doing Ewhatever isn't a lot of use if he's physically not up to the game. At 15, I would have though he should just be getting out on the rock, enjoying himself, and finding his own grades.
 Simon Caldwell 26 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
Then point I was trying to make, sort of, was that whatever you climb aged 15 will be a damn sight more than I did!
 Al Evans 26 May 2006
In reply to tony: If you read my initial post you will realise that I said its more important to enjoy it than feel pressured, point I was making is dont limit your goals.
Al
mac_climb 28 May 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mutl3y) How many new routes do you want me to name?
> Look stop pissing about and get stuck in. You asked, I told you.
> Al
> And good luck

oh, god that awesome
stone 29 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: Remember Tyler Landman is 15 and one of the best climbers in the country. It needn't take long to get to your maximum possible grade but it may take years before you want to try. I don't think "should be capable of climbing" is the right way of thinking about it. It all depends on how you go about things and what you want out of climbing. Also moving up the grades through trad climbing is an approach that only works for the tallented/brave few. Most people will climb all the decent easy trad climbs close to home without improving much.
 willhunt 29 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: If your not climbing E7 onsight by next year then you may as well give up.
stone 29 May 2006
In reply to willhunt: People enjoy many things throughout their lives without feeling that continuing is only justified if they are "improving". Some people enjoy climbing for decades whilst gradually getting worse.
 Cragdog al 29 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: i had climbed E4 when i was 15, but id been climbing indoors 2-3 times a week for 3 yrs and it was my second year outdoors. age plays no real part too your ability, just experience. adam ondra is about 13 and climbs 8b+. your average punter is about 35 and struggles up vs on a good day.
Hannah m 29 May 2006
In reply to stone:
> (In reply to willhunt)
Some people enjoy climbing for decades whilst gradually getting worse.

or disappearing off the radar altogether, getting older and then injured for months at a time as soon as they start trying again (I only speak for myself)
 Ri 29 May 2006
In reply to jamesil: As said above, depends on a lot of factors.

How many times a week do you train?

How much experience have you got leading trad?

In that experience can you lead hard, well protected routes or easy bold routes?

And much much more, but the best thing to do is to get outside with someone who knows what they're doing and work up through the grades
 Ands 29 May 2006
In reply to jamesil:

> what grade should i be climbing ?

The one you don't fall off on.

Ands
 willhunt 29 May 2006
In reply to stone: I was only messing with him!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...