UKC

Clever ways of hanging training equipment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FraserCam 12 Mar 2007
I want to put up a finger board but i rent my flat and basically, i cant becuase im not allowed to put screws into the wall. My only solution is to put an extendable pull up bar in a door way (which must not leave any marks) is anyone else in the same boat? what do you guys do? Im getting weaker by the day sitting at this desk and never climbing.
 gingerdave13 12 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: put it up anyway then when the time comes to leave, remove and fill in holes with polyfilla,,
deeje 12 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: yeah ive got nowhere strong enough to fix one too. am considering rock rings from the garage rafters
 DaveR 12 Mar 2007
In reply to gingerdave13:

yep, that what i do, polyfiller and a bit of paint when i leave and nobody'll know. I then attach my fingerboard to the pull up bar.
 Matt Maynard 12 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: You can set up a fully detachable set up as below which you can move around your house to watch telly or chat to whoever is wherever when doing your work out.
>
> Get a pull up bar that adjusts to the size of the wall and wedges in place by friction 10 quid at argos.
>
> Then the clever bit. mount your fingerboard as usual. Then take 8, 90degress bend brackets and attatch each one to another till you have a three quater sided open box. This sounds confusing I appreciate but, keep with it, then take each doubled up bracket and attach them to the back of your wooden mount, evenly spread along its length. you can now hang your board on the pull up bar and it wont swing as long as the board mount is wider than the door frame. this is an awesome set up and if you are intersted i could take a picture and post it in my gallery for you to take a look at if you want?

DaveR 12 Mar 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard:

I still don't understand that, and this is the second time i've read it. All i do is fix the fingerboard onto a bit of plywood, then use U-rings* to attch the plywood to the pull up bar, so it pulls it against the door frame.

*i think that's what they're called, but they are in the shape of a U
 Matt Maynard 12 Mar 2007
In reply to DaveR: yeah im sorry its so confusing but pretty ahrd to explain, if you can get u rings they are better obviously but i couldnt so had to fashion my own.
have added pictures of my set up at the request of someone else and they should appear in my gallery at mattyork2 in the next few days
thesiaus 12 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam:

what about something like this

http://tinyurl.com/2su96d

it doesn't need any fixings and just uses the laws of leavers to hold itself up
FraserCam 12 Mar 2007
In reply to thesiaus: It looks like a big piece of kit but a brilliant idea. Im interested in fitting a fingerboard too, im glad to hear people have put theres onto chinning bars. Il go out and get one of those and sort one out.

Last question, are the fingerboards for dead-hanging or are ya meant to haev feet against the wall or door?
FraserCam 12 Mar 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard: Ye id like to see that.Cheers for the help
alexpez 12 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam:

Ive got a Powerbar ( http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=12945 ), and although it sounds like a great idea, im in a relatively new house and im slowly running out of doorframes that i can pull off the wall.
alexpez 12 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez:

That said its perfect in houses with more meaty doorframes, and im more than happy with it (just not the shoddy build quality of most modern houses).
FraserCam 13 Mar 2007
In reply to alexpez: Ah right, il bear that in mind. I like the extra height gained with the power bar because if i fixed a fingerboard to it i could get a full arm extension, whereas i imagine with just a chin bar i wouldnt.

The last thing i want to do is damage the door frame, its a new build flat and doesnt look too sturdy!!
 john arran 13 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam:

This is the one I made and used when working overseas:

http://www.thefreeclimber.com/photos/travel%20fingerboard%20640.jpg

As long as the cross-piece at the bottom is wider than the doorway it's extremely stable.

I usually screw tiny screws into the sides to make sure the pull-up bar stays there, but the holes left are so tiny you can fill them in with tippex!
 Ridge 13 Mar 2007
In reply to john arran:

Ohhh! I feel a bit of DIY in the offing. Good design.
 nikinko 13 Mar 2007
In reply to thesiaus:
> (In reply to FraserCam)
>
> what about something like this
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2su96d
>
> it doesn't need any fixings and just uses the laws of leavers to hold itself up

Just got one of these and very chuffed with it.
 GDes 13 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: as people mentioned above, you can hang fingerboards off one of those expanding chin up bars that dont need any fixings. However much simpler way of doing it is:

1. mount the fingerboard on a bit of pretty stiff wood that wont flex, that is a few inches wider than the door frame.
2. drill 2 holes at the top, a bit narrower than the doorframe width. Thread some 6mm cord through and tie a big knot to hold it.
3. make a couple of grooves in the bottom of the wood board about the thickness of the cord, in line with the top holes.
4. tie another knot, so the cords (one on each side) basically goes from the hole in the top, over the pull up bar, and hooks onto the groove at the bottom. The wood baoard being wider than the doorframe means it doesnt swing, and the cord attachment means it's really easy to take on/off when needed.

Does that make sense? I'll post a pic of mine if you want
FraserCam 13 Mar 2007
In reply to GDes: I think it makes sense, defo see your idea. If you could go to effort of sending me a pic thatd be great. Il send ya my email.
 jkarran 13 Mar 2007
In reply to GDes:

Clever but simple.
jk
 ed woods 13 Mar 2007
 GDes 13 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: I've posted the pics on here, should be on tomorrow. Hope they're clear enough
erika 13 Mar 2007
In reply to ed woods:

Looks over kill for a fingerboard, very nice carpentry skills though, have you every thought of turning it into a mini wall ?
 craig h 13 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam:
> I want to put up a finger board but i rent my flat and basically, i cant becuase im not allowed to put screws into the wall.

Attach it to the ceiling then, not too hard to find the timber joists, just push a screw driver through the plaster until you find something solid, then fix to that
 ed woods 14 Mar 2007
In reply to erika:

If you can think of a simpler way to get a free-standing fingerboard six feet high I'd love to hear it! Not so sure about a mini wall, i think that may be overkill - a few campus rungs is all you need to get mighty strong...
FraserCam 14 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: Ah ok, im defo going to do that, and i can easily shift it out the way to prevent walking into it every night.

Do the chinning bars without screw fixtures really work though? Surley they need to be attatched in some way, soem say they rely on leverage, but my door frame is the usual rectangular shape - rather than a triangle.
 GDes 14 Mar 2007
In reply to FraserCam: yes they're solid, just make sure you expand it as much as possible. A lot of them come with a bracket to screw onto the doorframe but i've never bothered with them, and it's never fallen down on me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...