UKC

Good books you've read recently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 23 Mar 2007
morning all

what have you read recently that's good?

Last week I read 'The Kite Runner' (I know, I'm a bit behind the times) and thought it was great, even if the ending was a trifle obvious. So yes, veyr good, I'd recommend, it tugs at the heartstrings and stuff.

Today I've just finished a book called 'Electricity' by Ray Robinson, which is about a young woman with epilepsy trying to find her family. It was one of those books where the first few pages made me think 'hmm, samey-contemporary-slightly-edgy-fiction' - oh no it's not going to be any good - but it's just got better and better, and apart from a fractionally too neatly tied up ending, it was really good stuff - fantastic imagery and loads and loads of energy.

so yes. what have you been reading?
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

I should apologise for the appalling quality of these 'reviews' (not that they can even really be called that) but my head is full of unshakeoffable fug today.
 tommyzero 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

I've just been reading a CJD post about what books she has been reading. It started off in that sort of hmm another samey-samey-CJD-slightly-edgy oh no it's not going to be any good post but then it inspired me. It did sort of end in a slightly predictable way though.
violentViolet 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

"Candide" by Voltaire and "Pygmalion" by Shaw. The latter admittedly was for uni and not "leisure", however it's a great read
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to tommyzero:

touche, but lol anyway
matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

'One Good Run' by...er... can't remember. The Burt Munro story.

Bloody entertaining, especially if you like motorbikes, possibly even if you don't. The man was a legend.

(Burt had a 1920s Indian Scout motorcyle which he eventually made do over 200mph on the Utah Salt Flats, purely through tinkering and machining his own parts, mostly in his own garage in New Zealand.)

Matt
In reply to CJD:

VAT - Flat rate scheme for small buisnesses by HM Customs & Excise was a gripping read.
 KeithW 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Last novel I finished was also 'The Kite Runner'. It's a cracking story, even though I did guess how the fight with Asef would end.

Currently on Dawkins' 'The Ancestor's Tale', but no fiction at the moment.
 TN 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

I have just ordered Trainspotting on advice from 2 different colleagues in seperate conversations today. I hope it's good...
In reply to CJD: 1984 (at last). was very good but i've developed a tendency to look over my shoulder alot of late...
In reply to TN: it's very good. all his books are.
 tommyzero 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Shaun L:

I haven't read anything since 1984.
Etak 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: am on the God delusiosn by the UKC favorite Prof. Dawkins - finding it very good and very readable - next up have a graham green i have been saving..... mmmmmm
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> I have just ordered Trainspotting on advice from 2 different colleagues in seperate conversations today. I hope it's good...

you could have my copy for free...

I'm flogging it on amazon but if you want that, the acid house and marabou stork nightmares let me know and I'll drop them in!
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Etak:

I'm halfway through The Little Prince, have about a third of Runnign with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs to go and keep dipping in and out of Games Climbers Play, which is utterly ace and I can't believe I've only just got a copy.
In reply to tommyzero: i havn't worn a nappy since 1984.
 ste_d 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

ongoing browsing of the new burbage guide and recently read norwegian wood which i quite enjoyed

now the tropic of cancer which makes me feel like i've been dragged through an open sewer...
 TN 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Thanks - however, it appears to have dispatched already (good old play.com!)
I'll see how I get on with this, but if I enjoy it I'll take them off you if they haven't already sold. (don't hang on to them for me)

(PS - it's getting to the 'Wharncliffe after work' time of year again, if you fancy it??)
heather monkey 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
'Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' a children's book that works for adults in a way Harry Potter couldn't even start to magic. On my copy of the book (the children's version, not the adult's one) it says on the cover that it isn't going to tell you about the book because it's better if you start it without knowing about it, or something of that ilk. I agree, so all I'll say is it's definitely worth a wee read.

I'm currently reading 'The Bullet Trick' by Louise Welsh, who wrote 'The Cutting Room' which I really liked. This seems quite different, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
 Marc C 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: 'Pigtopia' by Kitty Fitzgerald. Wonderful.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=231623
 LizzieLou 23 Mar 2007
In reply to matt25:
Thank you so much - you just reminded me to check if The Fastest Indian is on DVD and it is! (BF said it wasn't)
 soveda 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
I love the little prince, makes me cry every time.
I've just finished reading Light and Nova Swing by M.John Harrison, still not sure what I thought of them though!

Ade
 TN 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

I am only about 10% through the little prince - I keep trying to read it in bed but am having to refer to my French dictionary a lot, which is heavy and I keep dropping it on my head...
However, apart from the pain and bruising I AM enjoying the book.
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to CJD)
>

> (PS - it's getting to the 'Wharncliffe after work' time of year again, if you fancy it??)

ooo yes, good call, I can do the route whose name escapes me that I made excuses to avoid last september

OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> I am only about 10% through the little prince - I keep trying to read it in bed but am having to refer to my French dictionary a lot, which is heavy and I keep dropping it on my head...
> However, apart from the pain and bruising I AM enjoying the book.

I'm lucky/lazy in that a lovely person bought me an english language copy.
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to heather monkey:
> (In reply to CJD)
> 'Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' a children's book that works for adults in a way Harry Potter couldn't even start to magic. On my copy of the book (the children's version, not the adult's one) it says on the cover that it isn't going to tell you about the book because it's better if you start it without knowing about it, or something of that ilk. I agree, so all I'll say is it's definitely worth a wee read.
>

I've heard really good things about that book!

> I'm currently reading 'The Bullet Trick' by Louise Welsh, who wrote 'The Cutting Room' which I really liked. This seems quite different, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I picked up the Cutting Room in some waterstones 99p deal, was a bit sceptical, but read it whilst in the Alps last year and really really enjoyed it - I don't normally seek out crime novels as a 'genre' but that was great, and has reminded me that I was going to investigate the Bullet Trick, but I'm on a book-boying-ban this year - I've managed to only buy one so far, as I've vowed to get through the interminable stockpile before adding to it.

SeeWhat 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Oooh, a favourite topic.

Finished the Andy Cave autobiography in one sitting, recommended, esp. if you remember the miner's strike.

Halfway through 'The last mughal' by William Dalrymple and stalled on about page 400 of Robert Fisk's 'The great war for civilisation' - both excellent, the latter only once you see past Fisk's prejudices. The subject matter is harrowing but essential to make sense of the mess that is the ME.

Picked up the office cold so will be in at the w/e, hopefully finishing both of them and looking for some fiction.

tony 23 Mar 2007
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> VAT - Flat rate scheme for small buisnesses by HM Customs & Excise was a gripping read.

I read that a month or so ago. It was excellent - it's going to save us a considerable amount of money.

Other than that, I've just finished Clint Willis's The Boys of Everest, which was quite good. I'm now onto Iain Banks's new novel, which is also quite good, but not exactly gripping.
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to SeeWhat:

The Andy Cave autobiography *always* crops up on these threads! I read it last summer and found it very inspirational, if somewhat humbling.
 ebygomm 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Halfway through Waterlog by Roger Deakin

OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to ebygomm:

brilliant book!
 SeeWhat 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

I think it really made me realise how easy my life is and has been in comparison to others.

The little vignettes of 80s living struck a chord and it was fun to see some names that I met years later (Pat Littlejohn at ISM, fr' isnstance)
heather monkey 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to ebygomm)
>
> brilliant book!

Ooh, good stuff! It's getting very near the top of my stockpile
Nao 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Genie: A Scientific Tragedy by Russ Rymer - about the child 'Genie' who was discovered age 12 after years of sensory deprivation - her parents kept her tied to a potty chair in a cage. Talks about the case (which is standard Psych/Linguistics 101) but also about the story behind the case, of what happened to her and how all the scientists fought over access to her, etc. Very moving and really interesting from a language acquisition point of view.

Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern - a fictional book about an autistic boy, which I enjoyed much more than Curious Incident. I kept recognising behaviours and I thought the characterisation was really good. Kind of tailed off a bit at the end but overall I enjoyed it.
Hannah m 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
Finished recently: Other Voices,Other Rooms (Capote) and The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) - both great.
Now reading another of Fitzgerald's - The Last Tycoon.
matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> I have just ordered Trainspotting on advice from 2 different colleagues in seperate conversations today. I hope it's good...

Am I the only person that thinks Welsh writes unreadable quack (and I don't mean the nouveu-scots, I lived in Leith). I got two thirds the way through 'spotting because so many people said it was great before realising it was sh*te.
And people say that's his best one...

Matt

The film was way better in comparison!
 KeithW 23 Mar 2007
In reply to soveda:

> I've just finished reading Light and Nova Swing by M.John Harrison, still not sure what I thought of them though!

Haven't read Nova Swing yet, but I thought Light was swinging dangerously close to mainstream SF comprehensibility. However, the horse-skulled thing in an old woman's coat restored my faith in his surreal touch.
 Marc C 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: Oh and James Robertson's 'The Testament of Gideon Mack' is a very weird yet compelling read.
 orge 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

The Tao of Pooh (and Te of Piglet) by Benjamin Hoff.

Taoism explained through the medium of A.A.Milne's characters! Playful and amusing, but still a thoughtful introduction to taoism.

The central message has a lot in common with books like the Alchemist and I suppose it falls under the category of "self help" - although I dislike that terminology.

Well worth a look,

J
 DougG 23 Mar 2007
In reply to matt25:

> Am I the only person that thinks Welsh writes unreadable quack (and I don't mean the nouveu-scots, I lived in Leith). I got two thirds the way through 'spotting because so many people said it was great before realising it was sh*te.
> And people say that's his best one...
> The film was way better in comparison!

Could not disagree more, except for the bit about it being his best book.

matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Not so much reading right now, although I suspect that's true for a few folk here, eh: but I recently (last year) discovered Mark Twain. Read the Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, and now realise what all the fuss was about. I'd say they were genius, powerful genius!

Matt

OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to matt25:

i really don't like his stuff - I got trainspotting just before I went to college, then the film came out and everyone got excited - I think that I was reading his stuff 'cos I thought I *should*.

none of his books are ones I've reread, hence me getting rid of them.
matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to matt25)
>
> [...]
>
> Could not disagree more, except for the bit about it being his best book.

Hi Doug,

I was just surprised, given the supposedly shocking nature of the material, how BORED I got!

Matt
Hannah m 23 Mar 2007
In reply to matt25:
Huckleberry Finn is great -especially the first half, (up to the farm) - I haven't read Tom Sawyer, it doesn't have the same appeal somehow.
 DougG 23 Mar 2007
In reply to matt25:

Well don't read the other ones Matt, I loved Trainspotting but I got bored with them! (Except for a few short stories in 'The Acid House'.)
matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Hannah m:
> (In reply to matt25)
> Huckleberry Finn is great -especially the first half, (up to the farm) - I haven't read Tom Sawyer, it doesn't have the same appeal somehow.

Tom Sawyer is great, almost as good as Huck Finn but is not as multi-layered (!?), if you see what I mean. It's more purely a nostalgic adventure, without the social commentary of Huck Finn.
Good though.

If I ever have kids I will ban them from reading it while leaving it within easy reach of grubby mits!

Matt

soveda 23 Mar 2007
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to soveda)
>
> [...]
>
> Haven't read Nova Swing yet, but I thought Light was swinging dangerously close to mainstream SF comprehensibility. However, the horse-skulled thing in an old woman's coat restored my faith in his surreal touch.

Nova swing should restore your faith fully then...

Ade

Blue Straggler 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: Finally polished off John Harris' "The Last Party" (I am a slow reader!)
Anecdotal stuff is interesting, as are some of the facts and figures, but it's pretty badly written and badly structured. I'd recommend it anyway for the "trivia", but don't expect a satisfying read.

It's all about the rise and fall of what became known as "Britpop", and the embarrassing attempts by New Labour to use it as a prop with which to "rebrand Britain" (1997, 'Cool Britannia' ring any bells?)
In reply to CJD: this must have been mentioned before (or there's no justice) but just in case, Fergus Fleming; Killing Dragons, Barrow's Boys and 90 Degrees North, a wonderful trilogy of exploritory insanity, "ice clumped lunatics", a mordant wit and truly gripping tales, anyone with the remotist interest in the history of exploration or a good ripping yarn should run to the shops as soon as...etc, bangs on for hours
 soveda 23 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to matt25)
>
> [...]
>
> Could not disagree more, except for the bit about it being his best book.

Surely you mean: "only readable book".
Ade

OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Killing Dragons is on my pile of books to read. Looks good.
matt25 23 Mar 2007

Really enjoyed Barrows Boys and 90 Degrees North, got a bit bogged down in Killing Dragons though, which I'd had high hopes for.

Matt
 DougG 23 Mar 2007
In reply to soveda:

Well, some of The Acid House is very funny.
matt25 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Have just finished 'The Last of the Getleman Adventurers' sorry am terrible with authors names. Nothing much happens, guy goes to Baffin Island to work a Hudsons Bay Company trading post in the 1930s. Getss in touch with the eskimos etc. describes life.
However, strangely absorbing read, really gives you a feel for what at the end of the day really was an extraordinary job for an ordinary guy to be doing. He succeeds in making you feel real empathy for the eskimos he meets and lives with.

Matt
 SeeWhat 23 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:

Agreed re: The acid house - Someone having the worst day of their life, then God turns them into a bluebottle is a very funny moment.

The worst thing of his I ever read was 'ecstacy' though - written at the height of his fame, doubltless on the advice / pressure of his agent. Not at all convincing.
In reply to matt25: and CJD, BBs and NDN I think have the stronger narrative although I did enjoy KD, has anyone read his new book? something about the Sahara
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007

i found it in a charity shop rather than consciously thinking 'I have to go out and get a fergus fleming book' - but I'll see how i get on with it, and will keep an eye out for the others.
matt25 23 Mar 2007

The Sword and the Cross? I've got that somewhere, must read it!

matt
In reply to CJD: read half a book a few years ago about the antarctic, written by a British woman describing her time there, beautifully written, quite strong on her faith (I don't have one myself but enjoyed it hugely) but can't remember her name or the title, anyone?
In reply to matt25: cheers!
In reply to CJD: personally I loved it, it's why I got hte other ones, enjoy (you can get all three for £15
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007

sara wheeler, terra incognita - I really enjoyed it.
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
> (In reply to CJD) personally I loved it, it's why I got hte other ones, enjoy (you can get all three for £15

or for £1.50 if you rummage
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to JJ Krammerhead III)
>
> sara wheeler, terra incognita - I really enjoyed it.

oo it might not have been that, as I can't recall her being particularly religious...

In reply to CJD: that's the one! will have to get it
In reply to CJD: ... er...I think! not bible thumping but did mention the importance of faith to her a couple of times
In reply to CJD: I'm sure you would like this CJD. A friend got me to read "The Time Travellers Wife" with the promise that it was not just chicklit, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Emotionally engrossing, totally convincing characters and a really intelligent and well thought out book on the day to day problems you might meet if you really could time travel. Just the practical day to day issues - like the ethics of when you could tell your friends about bad stuff that was going to happen, and whether you could actually do anything about this stuff or whether it was just predetermined that it was going to happen. And how on earth you explained your sudden appearances and dissapearances - in the book the time traveller's time travelling ability is a genetic disorder that he has no control over, so he pops into his own past and future at random.
 Blue Straggler 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie: CJD was recommending this AGES ago! Get with the programme
OP CJD 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Psychopathic_Barbie:

lol, yes, I read it last year but I did really enjoy it - I'd been as sceptical as you, but once i got into it I found it oddly compulsive, even though it didn't make me cry (everyone told me it would, but the only book that's made me cry (that I can recall) is 'They F*ck you up' by Oliver James, which isn't even fiction...
In reply to CJD: if anyone is looking for a jumbo holiday read the Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy would do,the language is very poetic and it's incredibly evocative, it's also 1200 pages long and the middle book will bog you down for ages, I was 100 pages from the end when a times reviewer blabbed what happens in the end......bastard
 John2 23 Mar 2007
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III: I've recently embarked on Democracy in America. I may be some time.
In reply to CJD: yup, I found myself welling up in a disgustingly girlie way. I also had a snivel when I read "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell, which is his usual mix of linked stories in different styles. Bit of a one trick pony, but he does it very well. Apart from that, and the first time I read "The grapes of wrath", I'm not usually a serial blubber!
 marie 25 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: I started to read Perfume yesterday afternoon and having been completely and utterly drawn into it whereby I havent put it down for more than an hour at a time (not counting whilst I slept last night), I'm close to finishing now!

What a thoroughly excellent book (even if I couldnt pronounce some of the words) so good in more than one way

DougG 29 Mar 2007
In reply to marie:

Just started reading Robert Fisk's 'The Great War for Civilisation', 50 or so pages down, about 1250 to go!

Hopefully finish it some time this year...
 SeeWhat 29 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:

Recommended. Have got to page 900 or thereabouts - very tough subject matter bue essential to make sense of what has been going on in the ME.
In reply to CJD:

Amongst several things at the moment I'm reading Kenneth Clark's Civilization. What a dazzling gem of a book! Both wise and witty.
 nz Cragrat 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

The Zahir Paulo Coehlo
OP CJD 29 Mar 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

I haven't read any Paulo Coehlo - is he good?

I've just read the Little Prince, which was just lovely, and have finished Running with Scissors, which I think would be a better film than book, perhaps... so I'll check out the film.
 Rubbishy 29 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:

I recommend William Polk - Understanding Iraq. Not too heavy but a good canter through the history of Iraq and more importantly how the "nation" sees itself and how the "Arab" world sees it. It also gives some interesting views on the first Gulf War, and just how engineered it was by the US.

I also just fininshed Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward. A bit dated but it is a very readable insight into the machinations of US government and US Foreign policy through the 80's and 90's. It is balanced in that it also critically examines Clinton's swtich of focus from mid east to Europe in the 90's. It gets into it's own with the work up to the invasion and uses some very high level sources, as you would expect from Woodward. several notables do come off the fence, especially the military.

I am presently reading Bush's War but it is the 2004 edition and I understand it has been updated so I think I will bin it and read the newer version.

I also read a history of Islam by an author I can't remember. It was intersting but turgidly written. Tired the Koran but very very hard work. I need the Janet and John or graphic novel version.
 DougG 29 Mar 2007
In reply to John Rushby:

They sound quite interesting John. Will maybe put them down for 2008!

(By the way, re. Iraq, strongly recommend John Simpson's 'The Wars Against Saddam')
 nz Cragrat 29 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

He wrote the Alchemist which is "acclaimed"

I thought this very good
 marie 29 Mar 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat: I have quite a few of his books, but I've not read one yet!

Others keep popping up that I want to read :oS

Maybe I'll start The Alchemist next...
 Rubbishy 29 Mar 2007
In reply to DougG:

You are welcome to borrow them - I can stick them in the post.

I might readthe John Simpson book. He was at the RGS recently but I was away and gutted to miss his seminar.
 Marc C 29 Mar 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat: My favourite Paulo Coelho books are Veronika Decides to Die and Eleven Minutes - though The Alchemist is a simple yet rewarding parable.
 Marc C 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C: Anyway, everyone should be reading Pigtopia
 DougG 29 Mar 2007
In reply to John Rushby:

Cheers John, may take you up on that!
OP CJD 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C:

i responded to your thread on it! but the thread's sunk again.

I shall resurrect - it sounded interesting and I wanted to know more.
 Rubbishy 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C:

Ever read After the Storm?

All about badgers and stuuf after a storm. Great illustrations.

and the Silver Sword by Ian Serriliar (sp) - still great after the frist time read it a 10 yrs old.
 Adders 29 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD: im way behind with the times and just reading tony parsons - man and a boy or whatever its called. nice surprise though i noticed its 1st ed. and signed ( got from car boot sale years and years ago )
 Dave C 29 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:
'102 Minutes' by Jim Dwyer & Kevin Flynn. It's the story of what went on inside the World Trade Centre towers between the first plane hitting and the final collapse of the second tower. Well written and suitably sobering account.

'Among the Barbarians' by Paul Sheehan, an Australian journalists view of the development of Australian culture and it's transformation in the 1990s. Like me, Sheehan spent pretty much the entire decade of the 90s outside the country (he was in the U.S. rather than the U.K)so it was interesting to see how he viewed the changes being wrought on the country.

My current read is shaping up as a good one (recommended by the mrs), 'American Vision, the Epic History of Art in North America' by Robert Hughes. Does pretty much what it says on the tin.
 Marc C 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Dave C:
Strewth, reading books like that makes you an intellectual, Dave!

Australia's fourth - after Clive James, John Pilger & Robert Hughes (wondered about Rolf Harris, but decided 'no')

<Does pretty much what it says on the tin> Are Aussie books like Fosters lager - they come in tinnies?
 Dave C 29 Mar 2007
In reply to Marc C: So you regard Germaine as a bimbo then?
violentViolet 29 Mar 2007
In reply to CJD:

Just started reading the His Dark Materials trilogy. It's my 3rd attempt, but finally I managed to get hooked and am quite enjoying it. The first couple of times I thought it'd be another LotR, but thankfully I've been wrong
 omerta 29 Mar 2007
In reply to John Rushby:

Crikey, I remember reading that when I was 10 too, I think...my dad bought it home from town one day and I remember sitting curled up and reading the whole thing that night. And 'Z For Zacariah,' too...

All time fave is London Fields by Martin Amis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...