UKC

what is the point of putting down doged climbs in the logbook?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IOAN D 12 Apr 2007
What is the point??? its like people want to state a point that they have been on a route they failed on! might be ok if you have a very short term memory and want to remeber to get on the route asap, but what the???
 gingerkate 12 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Solidarity in suffering, of course.
Besides, success is fun, but failure is funnier
In reply to IOAN D: I have to agree with you. I just can't see the point, unless people are trying to bump up their logbooks.
 Reaver2k 12 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

I log every climb I go onto, and go into huge detail (as some of you might have noted) on each one. I do this because 20 years down the line, I am positive I will need something to jog my memory about the route.

Falls and dogging up routes - I am still climbing on them, I put them on so I remember that I struggled with it, but still enjoyed it, and to try it again as a personal challenge.

Why would you have a problem with it?
 gingerkate 13 Apr 2007
In reply to just wanna climb:
> I just can't see the point

There's no point if you feel your log book is a place to brag about what you've done ... but if you feel it's a place to share your experiences of climbing, the lows as well as the highs, you see it differently.
 sculptor 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Because it's a log of ones climbs/attempts...you know...like a diary. You don't have to look at other peoples logs you know...you could just be content with recording your own successes/attempts and (if you like) failures. What's the issue? Your thread could be deemed just as pointless as the question it poses and with the same result.....it doesn't matter.

BTW....pedant that I am... it's dogged-not doged
 Niall 13 Apr 2007
In reply to sculptor:

Beat me too it, i was going to suggest a title of "What is the point of having internet access and not bothering to look up dictionary sites?"

Or more to the point, "What's the point of posting a rant without proof-reading it first, thus leaving yourself dangerously open to having the piss taken?"
 Col Allott 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D: It depends if you view the logbook facility as some sort of advert of your climbing achievements or an actual logbook. I log every climb whether its E-godknows or Diff. It's interesting to look back on exactly what I was up to last year. The only thing I don't do is log a repeated ascent, so I don't clog up this website and it forces me to get on some different routes!
 withey 13 Apr 2007
In reply to sculptor:

In fairness guys, English is his second language.
Graham 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:
> What is the point???

Of the UKC logbooks?

I agree entirely.

This website is fantastic, but this particular 'feature', IMHO, is entirely for those of a sad nature.

G
 gingerkate 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Graham:
>is entirely for those of a sad nature.

I don't remember what I've done unless I record it somewhere. Why is it sad to want to remember what I've done?

Alun 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Because a logbook is a place to record whatever you feel like recording, and not a place for willy-waving.

Also, in terms of sport routes, I will record the first time I a) tried the route b) dogged to the top and finally c) successfully redpointed it, as that shows the timescale of my progression.
 Alun 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Graham:

> This website is fantastic, but this particular 'feature', IMHO, is entirely for those of a sad nature.

I do hope you're being ironic, Graham. Your comment on another thread:

"Can anybody explain to me the point of Coffee Maid, or wtf it's called, where the fat is skimmed off the milk and then replaced with vegetable fat, to leave something tasting like sh1t??"

Pot and kettle and all that...

Alun 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Col Allott:
> It depends if you view the logbook facility as some sort of advert of your climbing achievements or an actual logbook.

I agree.
In reply to Col Allott:
> (In reply to IOAN D) It depends if you view the logbook facility as some sort of advert of your climbing achievements or an actual logbook.

'advertising' what you can and cannot do is useful if you're looking for partners, plus on multipitch routes it shows you can get yourself up despite falling.

more to the point, who f*cking cares what anyone puts in their logbook?
 Reaver2k 13 Apr 2007
In reply to featuresforfeet:

I think IOAN D does...
 sutty 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Do you keep a diary of what routes you do and when, I never did and regret it. a friend showed me his from 1959-65 last year and I found reports of climbs we did that I had no recollection of along with weather and failures.

The logbook is just that saved for others to see if they wish, like the comments on routes and grades, often useful to others.
J1234 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:
I `m new to climbing, but I`m under the impression that keeping a log is as old as climbing itself and the one one UKC is just a modern interpratation of it. As these are a personal logs though not necessarily private the amount of detail is upto the individual. I leave mine on view because I was activley seeking partners so it seemed a good idea.
Just out of curiosity though if these things bother you, why do you look?
Graham 13 Apr 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

Write them down in a book?

I have had a stiff neck for a week, so my mood was not at its best last night, btw. :-S

G
 popebenedictus 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

I really like the way the logbooks are setup on UKC.
I just like having a record of what I've done/had a go at and its a really handy format for recording climbs.

But then again I'm one of those "not a real climber" types so maybe I should be quiet.
Sorry
 gingerkate 13 Apr 2007
In reply to Graham:

I could write them in a book, but it's so much easier to do it online because the routes are often in the list anyway, so you just type in half the name and up it pops. Plus you can share them here. I like that.

Sorry to hear about your neck.
chicken 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Off topic, I feel we should replace "dogged" with "christmas post": you sent it, but it took ages.

OK, its friday....
 IanJackson 13 Apr 2007
In reply to IOAN D: It is nice to see of the Did not finish and Dogged ticks on Flying Buttress direct. All with different reasons.

er...Not that i have got up it yet...
In reply to IOAN D:

As a relatively new climber I find it useful to measure progression especially with repeat climbs. Last summer dogged a route at Wilton 1. This year seconded no problem. Later in the summer hopefully leading it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...