UKC

dslrs and lenses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 22 May 2007
just out of interest, before the recent wave of dslr ownership (last 3 to 4 years), all you people who now have entry level dslrs (the ones that cost less than a grand, say), did you get this revved up about having 90 different lenses for your film slr? or did you come to it from compacts.

I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing.

<sits back, awaits flak>

John Wood 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Came to it from losing a couple of 35mm compacts then getting a canon compact last year.

Still only have the lense that came with the camera though. It's a nice black one.

Any gear confessions yet?

Blue Straggler 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'm not revved up, but I do confess to contemplating more lenses (which are expensive compared to what I am used to) than I did with the 35mm - admitteldly I have a silly number of lenses for the 35mm but they were acquired randomly over a long period of time which included a learning curve, and I have had 4 35mm bodies, and today I'd be happy to cut my lens collection down to 4 (and at a pinch would work happily with just the one).
On the other hand I have had a dSLR for one year and I own two posh lenses and want a third.

Hmmm.

One thing I have noticed is that since the advent of reasonably "available" consumer dSLRs, you see far more people peering to see exactly which camerayou have, than I ever noticed with 35mm. This is why I have black tape over the brand and model label on my dSLR.
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I had three lenses with my Canon film body.

Then got into digital compacts.

Now have far too many lenses for my DSLR.

OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to John Wood:

i'm saving up for a 50mm f1.8 but that's only cos I don't like flash. but that's it. It's coming out of my penny jar
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Save a few more pennies and get the much better f1.4.

<the irony isn't lost I hope>
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to ChrisJD:

ha ha, I'd love one but they're too expensive. I've got one of those on my favourite film camera so I'll use that instead.

I'm still not sure about this dslr malarkey.
 doz generale 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to John Wood)
>
> i'm saving up for a 50mm f1.8 but that's only cos I don't like flash. but that's it. It's coming out of my penny jar

definatley worth it i have that lens (cannon) and it's amazing for the price.
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to doz generale:

cool!

but back to the point, do people have lots of lenses whereas when they had film slrs, they might have just had one? From looking at threads on here, people seem to be buying their first dslr and buying two other lenses with it instantly. I suspect I'm missing something...
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

What are the top five things you are not sure about?
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD: what you not sure about? I'm sure the combined wisdom of the RT canoneers should be able to help?
I don't know why blokes get all techie about gear, I spent ages researching lenses before buying. I know they make no difference to how good a photographer you are. I just want what I shoot to be accurately as possible portrayed, I have 20-35, 17-40 L, 50 1.8 MkI, 70-200f4 IS, which get used on my dlsr and film body.
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to ChrisJD:

i think i just got very used to Scabby Old Yashica and knowing what all the buttons did and how the pic would turn out.

I think this might be too automatic, so I need to do more fiddling with the manual settings.

I liked my split-ring (ooer missus) focussing.

I think I also need to start thinking in B&W again and photographing accordingly (it just seemed easier to do so somehow with my yashica).
In reply to CJD:

Late 70s to mid 80s, 3 primes was the standard for the "keen" photographer - 28, 50 and 135.
When zooms got better, people tended to have a zoom and a prime e.g. a 28-70 and a 135, or a 50mm and a 70-210.

So it wasn't massively different to today. The people shelling out on dSLRs, even at "consumer" levels, are what you could call "keen" photographers. Otherwise they'd just have a digi compact.
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

really? gosh.

so just having one lens is just being lazy/tight?
In reply to CJD: I've gone through a lot of lenses in the last 4-5 years, trying to find the perfect match of quality/zoom range/aperture for the sort of photography I do.

At the moment though I've only got 2 lenses I regularly use, and 2 others that I want to sell (15mm/f2.8 and 35mm/f2.0)

I came up through compact digitals, rather than from film SLRs.

Cheers
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> really? gosh.
>
> so just having one lens is just being lazy/tight?

No, and that's what I said or implied.
Banging on about it (especially when one drops Cartier-Bresson or Rowell into the conversation) is a bit of an affectation though.

OP CJD 22 May 2007

oops, wasn't having a go!

dek 22 May 2007
> (In reply to CJD)

> Banging on about it (especially when one drops Cartier-Bresson or Rowell into the conversation) is a bit of an affectation though.
Eh?! Why so?

OP CJD 22 May 2007

is it okay to mention Gary Winogrand thought?

OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to dek:

bS is trying to bait me.

it will not work.

however hard he tries.

dek 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD: Uh Huh..........Im happy that Velvia is now 99p a roll at 7 day shop ....Chris Craggs merci!
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to dek: yup, got 10 rolls stored in the fridge, just wish I could crack the exposure for it, always end up losing the shadows.
 dek 22 May 2007
In reply to ICE:
> (In reply to dek) yup, got 10 rolls stored in the fridge, just wish I could crack the exposure for it, always end up losing the shadows.
Tried ISO 40, and expose for a midtone?
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Come down to the Peak one evening and we can pop out and do some shooting - might help to chew the fat on how to use these things differently to a film camera.
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to dek: no, but will give it a try, had read about using iso 64, will try both then.
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to ChrisJD:

hey, that would be cool! I'll take you up on that.

ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

email me some avalable evenings this week or next week
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to ChrisJD: what? like a peak meet? :-P
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to ICE:

Thankfully, no.
OP CJD 22 May 2007
In reply to ChrisJD:

argh, not a chance in the next two weeks, but I'll drop you a line about it.
 ChrisJD 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Let me know.
Ian Hill 22 May 2007
In reply to ICE:

hey we could have a meet of all the keen photographers and maybe the people who want to learn something could come along too, a UKC photographers meet in fact!
 Skyfall 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

yes, always loved having a few lenses for the SLR - for me it's part of the whole point of havin an SLR.

which is odd given that, with dSLR's, you're best off changing lenses as little as possible (due to the dust problem)
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to Ian Hill: well, it was a joke as it has been discussed at length on here, but no one took 'ownership' of organising it.
In reply to Ian Hill:
> a UKC photographers meet in fact!

There's an idea that is so bonkers that CJD should arrange it

OP CJD 22 May 2007

i don't arrange meets any more.

I'm going to mail Chris and arrange to meet up, but other than that I'm a bit shy with my camera (camera-shy?) so I don't think I'd enjoy a meet.
Ian Hill 22 May 2007
In reply to ICE:

I *was* being ironic...
ICE 22 May 2007
In reply to Ian Hill: I thought you mightbe, but was just making sure. I would take it up, as have access to darlington media workshop through my membership of said organisation, but not sure if people would/could travel up here, as there's no craggs nearby, we have suite of macs running photoshop, and a few a3 printers.
O Mighty Tim 22 May 2007
In reply to JonC: What dust problem?
8^)

Seriously, I've always had a selection of glass, though the current set is WAY more money than I ever spent before.
I used to have a couple of OM bodies, with something like a 28-70, 24 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 75-300 and a 500 mirror.
I grabbed a whole raft of cheap Zuiko primes off ebay, and upgraded the bodies. Still looking to find another OM3, I wish I hadn't sold the one I had.

I have the current Zuiko digital zooms for the E-1s, 11-22, 14-54, and 50-200, plus a 1.4 teleconverter.
These MAY get upgraded as the new SWD versions come on line.

I use all 3, depending on the situation.
In reply to ICE:
> as there's no craggs nearby

Scugdale's not too horribly far is it? 10 miles down the A19, turn off for Swainby...I know it's not a huge crag

doz generale 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

well i only have the 50mm 1.8 lens for my dslr but i got an adapter that enables me to use all my old manual olympus OM lenses. I would like to get a decent zoom though for walking arround with.
diablo 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

thought nikon were quite clever in that their old 35mm lenses fit their new digi cameras
Ian Hill 22 May 2007
In reply to doz generale:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> well i only have the 50mm 1.8 lens for my dslr but i got an adapter that enables me to use all my old manual olympus OM lenses. I would like to get a decent zoom though for walking arround with.

the clue's there...walk forward to zoom in, walk backwards to zoom out

going out with just one prime lens is great, you learn a lot from the small extra effort needed

Ian
In reply to diablo:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> thought nikon were quite clever in that their old 35mm lenses fit their new digi cameras

Yes, it was a nice notion, but with some of them you lose a bit, a lot, or ALL functionality

Still, better than nowt, and I got some nice pics with no metering with my old manual 50mm f/1.8 lens
(back to the OP - my camera came second hand with a hulking great fast zoom lens on it, a good lens but not one that I'd choose to buy, certainly no good for using the camera as a "round about town snapshot" thing...so I very soon bought another lens, but it was only £25 and was a stop-gap, will now keep it of course!)
That's why I have three and not two lenses for the dSLR.
 orge 22 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'd never had an SLR before, although I had used my Dad's old Minolta a little. My preconception for getting into this game was to take more climbing pictures, but in the last year I've taken very few! Instead, most of my shots have been landscapes/candid portraits. I quickly discovered that the kit lens was limiting and invested in a wide-angle/fast prime. I also made a snap purchase after finding a bargain on an old telephoto.

In hindsight, I could have saved some cash by skipping the kit lens - which sees very little use. However, when I first bought the camera, I didn't expect to buy more lenses anyway!

As a more experienced photographer, you know your style and whether a lens choice will limit your creativity. Aside from the low-light pics, do you ever find a mid-zoom a problem? If not, then there's little reason to buy more lenses. You had a fixed prime (50mm?) on the Yashica, right? Maybe a mid-zoom already feels more flexible than this?

For me, the gear is only a means to an end. Having said that, the prime is my most common choice at the moment (compact, wide aperture, just zoom with your feet!), but it's not right for everything. As my tastes develop, I could see how I might add to this collection, but I don't feel the need for "pro" zooms or more than 3-4 lenses. It's also worth considering that the high resale value, longevity and competitive online pricing, make lens shopping more affordable/attractive.

Go on, remortgage and get yourself all that kit you're lusting after!

J
Richard G. Carter 26 May 2007
I unfortunately got the 'clap'* in the days of film cameras

* or 'cronic lens acquisition problem' as we call it in the trade
PeteA 26 May 2007
In reply to CJD: When I had a 35mm SLR I could not afford additional lenses. Now I have made the switch I did buy a nice macro as I am into spider and insect photography. For wildlife I will again have to wait until I can afford a long range zoom. There is the thought that with digital the immediacy of seeing the photos leads to the snapper having the limitations of the equipment more readily in mind as they look at the finished product.
 Green Porridge 26 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I only had a 35mm compact, then a digi compact. I don't think I would have got into photography as quickly if it was still film only - at least now you can learn without costing the earth in film! As for lenses, I have a 350D (the camera of champions ), it came with the kit lens, then on top of that I have the 50mm f/1.8, a 70-300mm non-IS, non-USM, but it was mint condition, second hand, and £40, so I snapped it up. As of today, a sigma 10-20mm, making it the only lens I've spent more than £100 on!

As for the 50mm f/1.8... It's a really good lens, and for the £80 or so pounds it'll cost you, an absolute steal! I hate using flash, and since I got that lens, I don't think I've ever had to! It's the dog's for portraits too.

Tim

p.s. My dad's film slr has split ring focussing - I WISH I had it on the 350D!
OP CJD 26 May 2007
In reply to Green Porridge:

ohhh I'm going to get a 50mm f1.8 when the penny jar is sufficiently full!

ta for the confirmation - sounds like just what I want
 Green Porridge 26 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

Good idea- the only bad thing about it is that it feels a little plasticy, and looks weedy on your camera! But I don't care, as it gets nice pics.

Tim
Richard G. Carter 27 May 2007
"My dad's film slr has split ring focussing - I WISH I had it on the 350D!"

you can get that pretty easy, i was thinking of getting one of those screens for my cameras, a company makes decent split screens and they aren't too expensive.
Richard G. Carter 27 May 2007
kats eye screens they're called
 Green Porridge 27 May 2007
In reply to Richard G. Carter:

Ooooooh - explain! Does it just slot on the eyepiece somehow? have you used one? Are they any good?

Tim
 Tree 27 May 2007
In reply to CJD: I first used my Dad's Nikon SLR when I was about twelve, got a 35mm camera, then a 35mm SLR at 16 when I went to study photography, kept it for 14 years (Minolta X700, repaired only once when the shutter broke after a driver dropped it), then upgraded to a Dynax SLR. Still use it occassionally, but more often use my 7.1 mp 'pro-sumer' Canon digital. Will buy a DSLR when they hit 20 meg, do everything my 35mm slr can, and don't break down after two years...

Tree
 Green Porridge 27 May 2007
In reply to CJD:

I've dug out the Katz eye custom focussing screens website for the 350D...

http://tinyurl.com/38zdow

It all looks good, till you click on the "installation" tab, and look at the instructions - I don't fancy doing that with my camera! I think I'll make do with the current screen...

Tim
OP CJD 27 May 2007
In reply to Green Porridge:

eek!
jesus that all sounds a bit complicated.

I think I'll start by getting the 50mm 1.8 first and see if that makes me any happier.

otherwise it's back to Scabby Old Yashica.
Tim, the Grey 27 May 2007
In reply to CJD: You know what? Olympus film SLRs shipped with a 1-13 screen. Split image and collar.
I hate the damn things, I spent a fortune on 1-7 plain screens.
I love the plain screen in AF SLRs. Makes composition and focussing easier...

SLRs are screen focussing cameras, so I do that. I can compose, and focus anywhere I need it this way.
So long as the eyepiece correction hasn't been nudged, of course?
8^)
TTG
OP CJD 27 May 2007
In reply to Tim, the Grey:

each to his own - I find split ring works best for me, but i shall work round it with this dslr.
Richard G. Carter 28 May 2007
its not that hard to change the screen i did it on my film cameras a fair bit. i was going to get one so i could use a nikon 35mm f2 but i think im going to wait until july when nikon are supposedly bringing out new lenses (i ideally need something faster than f2). failing them bringing out a fast prime i might have to get a sigma 30mm (yuck!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...