UKC

Rush

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Crow 24 May 2007
I'm just listening to various Rush albums again.

I can't decide if I still like them or if they're a bit sh1t actually?

Help me out.
 marie 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow: You go fly fishing...

Whaddya reckon?

:oP
 Tiggs 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow: hahahahahahahaha!
OP The Crow 24 May 2007
> In reply to Marie:

Well fly fishing wasn't cool until I started to do it now it's 'totally fly'. Maybe the same applies to prog rock?

> and Tiggs:

That's hardly a great help.
 Tiggs 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow: Sorry. I used to listen to Medieval Prog Rock as a teenager..... so I'm no help at all....

even so, Rush!!!!

hahahahahahahahaha ;p) xxxx
In reply to The Crow: Rush weren't really prog though were they. Which was their problem. They weren't hard (in the 1970's definition) but they weren't prog.

I've got back into listening to Genesis after a very long break and the proper stuff (ie Gabriel era) still sounds brill.
OP The Crow 24 May 2007
In reply to Tiggs:

Ok I'm listening to 'Power Windows' now and I'm still undecided

And my beloved is mocking me :o$

<still at least I got 4 kisses>
 Simon 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

whats the one that goes

didledumdiddledumdiddledum..

rite quick like?

Like that one - his voice is a bit "Magnum" tho...

;0)

Si
OP The Crow 24 May 2007
In reply to Simon:

The Spirit of Radio maybe?
 Simon 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

Aye thats the one - class track!

widdlywiddlywiddlywiddly!

;0)

Si
 Tiggs 24 May 2007
In reply to Simon: I thought that was the Kaiser Chiefs latest....
 MttSnr 24 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

Everything including Hold Your Fire onwards is shit tbh. Exit stage left though is probably still a cool album (YYZ - awesome). I briefly toyed with the idea of listening to Moving Pictures today on my MP3, but I think I listened to Pixies instead in the end.
 Simon 24 May 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Simon) I thought that was the Kaiser Chiefs latest....

nah - thats pants - now Ruby - was ace!

"Rooby Rooby Rooby!!! ahahahahah!!!!"

;0)
OP The Crow 24 May 2007
In reply to MttSnr:

I've only got the early stuff so that's alright then!

Grace Under Pressure is winning me back over again... help I'm turning back into a geek.

Arrrgh!

Yrmenlaf 25 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

They make a fair racket for only three fellas

Y.
In reply to The Crow:

Ignore the mocking of the philistines, the know not what they do.

If you want a taste of some modern prog go for a bit of Porcupine Tree. One song on the new album clocks in at 17 minutes!

I fly fish and agree that it is very cool. I'm not very good at it though - fancy meeting up and giving me a few pointers?

Rush are shit though!
G A Hardie 25 May 2007
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to The Crow)
>
>

>
> Like that one - his voice is a bit "Magnum" tho...
>
> ;0)
>
> Si

Oi lad - nout wrong with Magnum!!!!

Still treading the boards after all these years with their subtle brand of melodic rock.........
G A Hardie 25 May 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:
> (In reply to The Crow)
>

>
> If you want a taste of some modern prog go for a bit of Porcupine Tree. One song on the new album clocks in at 17 minutes!
>
Try listening to Threshold if you want some hard edged prog without the "disappearing up thier own butts" syndrome which the likes of present day Dream Theater suffer from.
>
>
> Rush are shit though!

Another band slotted into the same category as Runrig, eh? Must be the whiny, nasal vocals.........

Rubbishy 25 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

Rush are my favourite band. I spent 6 hours educating Helen about them, she was trapped in the car on the M6.

btw YYZ is the designation for Montreal airport.

Angie Lester 25 May 2007
In reply to The Crow: they're in concert soon, why not go and watch em to find out?!
 KeithW 25 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

Hmmm, synchronicity - my Zen was on random play this morning, and the first track it came up with was 'Spirit of Radio'. Going to have to dig out the old vinyl tonight, I think.

I'm surprised young Grumpytramp hasn't chimed in yet; a staple of any visit to his cottage is the playing of a Rush DVD - along with the fine ales; rare malts; and talking bollocks into the early hours.
dafydd64 25 May 2007
In reply to KeithW:
Was up at Rockfield studios photographing a band a couple of years back and was having tea and scones with Kingsley Ward (the owner) in his kitchen and we got talking about Rush recording 'A Farewell To Kings' there. Rumour has it that the album's title was a tribute to the owner when leaving there. He wouldn't confirm or deny though, showed me the piano Bohemian Rhapsody was written on too.
Jules B 28 May 2007
In reply to John Rushby: Sorry John, YYZ is Pearson, Toronto Used to live there so know about these things.
Jules B 28 May 2007
In reply to The Crow: Aha, now there's some more stuff I need for my i-pod, do you have Exit Stage Left? If so, can you send it through so I can download it? What's the album with Free Will on too? and Tom Sawyer....oh dear, there's too much nostalgia.....
 toad 28 May 2007
> (In reply to The Crow)
>
>
> If you want a taste of some modern prog go for a bit of Porcupine Tree. One song on the new album clocks in at 17 minutes!
>
>and includes an Alex Lifeson guitar solo!
 Chris Harris 28 May 2007
In reply to Jules B:
> (In reply to The Crow) Aha, now there's some more stuff I need for my i-pod, do you have Exit Stage Left? If so, can you send it through so I can download it? What's the album with Free Will on too? and Tom Sawyer....oh dear, there's too much nostalgia.....
Free Will is on Permanent Waves + Tom Sawyer is on Moving Pictures.

prana 28 May 2007
In reply to Chris Harris: i discovered Rush in my teens, when i saw the cover of permanent waves
Removed User 28 May 2007
In reply to Chris Harris:
> (In reply to Jules B)
> [...]
> Free Will is on Permanent Waves

With the classic line "you may choose the bathysphere, I will choose free will..."

Listen to it again, you know it's true.......
In reply to Removed User:

Did a little bit of listening to their stuff on YouTube to see whether my tastes have changed over the years since I last heard them. Sadly not. Excellent musicianship and YYZ is a good tune, but his voice grates on me.

Gotta love the eighties video though - that Bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBN48CPTUs&mode=related&search=
Removed User 28 May 2007
I've got tickets to see them in October, but the wife is due on the 25th Sept so the bawz up in the air on that one. Must admit that after YYZ I really stopped listening to them as my taste got more eclectic as I got older. Still love a wee bit now and again. Like a lot of things I like dipping into them on occasion, but cannae abide listening too much. Spirit Of Radio is usually on my iPod "Gym" playlist.
prana 28 May 2007
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserAm Fear Liath Mor)
> Spirit Of Radio is usually on my iPod "Gym" playlist.

and Jacobs Ladder for your sofa playlist?
'the shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams'

just dug out 'fly by night' - quality rock
 S Andrew 28 May 2007
In reply to Tiggs:
>Sorry. I used to listen to Medieval Prog Rock as a teenager.....

Like Gryphon?

Back to OP: Farewell..., Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and one side of 2112 essential.
Everything else a bit patchier though Moving Pictures def best of the rest.
 JWB 28 May 2007
In reply to The Crow:

For people who say the latest Rush is not as good as the early, then make sure you listen to "the main monkey business" from the latest album. In my opinion its one of their best ever tunes.

I still love Middle Town Dreams though.

I have also started listening to Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater.

PS..... Anybody got any tour tickets going spare, prefer NEC, Manchester or Sheffield? Please......
Jules B 29 May 2007
In reply to Chris Harris: Cheers Chris, will e-mail Paul and see if he's got any of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...