UKC

Pyrenees Campsite Recommendations Please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 22 Jun 2007
Morning to you all

I'm heading off to the Pyrenees in August with some friends & hope to be staying in Garvarnie/France & Ordesa/Spain.
Can anyone who stayed in these 2 areas recommend good campsites?
Anyone any thoughts on Le Pain De Sucre or Aire Naturelle de camping La Bergerie in Gavarnie?
Or Camping Ordesa,Rio Ara & San Anton in Torla?

Any recommendations/eliminations or help muchly appreciated!

Cheers

Dave
 ebygomm 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I've stayed at Camping Ordesa, which is ok but not brilliant, but quite handy for the bus into the National Park.

Camping Rio Ara looked nicer, walked through one evening and used the bathrooms there (nicer than mine at home). I'd stay there if I went again.

OP BALD EAGLE 22 Jun 2007
In reply to ebygomm:

> Camping Rio Ara looked nicer, walked through one evening and used the bathrooms there (nicer than mine at home). I'd stay there if I went again.

Sounds promising.Thanks!
rulio 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Another vote for Rio Ara! great view to ordesa, a shop, a cafe with a terrace, great bathrooms!
In reply to rulio:

Thanks rulio.

Looks like Rio Ara is the hot favourite so far in Spain!

Anyone any votes for campsites in Gavarnie?
Or horror stories to eliminate a choice of site?!?

Cheers

Dave
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

C'mon some of you must have stayed in a campsite in Gavarnie!
 Doug 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Have stayed in Gavarnie but in a cheap hotel. The only campsite I saw was on the southern edge of the field & it looked fairly basic & much of it seemed to slope a fair bit. But as I only saw it from the path running alongside its difficult to judge how good or bad it is - its definitly well situated for easy access to the cirque & the (few) shops/bars.

Another option might be the CAF chalet a few km out of town which I think has a camp site either attached or close by - not so good unless you have a car
 Chris Davids 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I stayed at the campsite just upstream from Gavarnie next to the bridge. Nothing special but it was right enough. Flat pitch, showers and you could watch donkies wandering up the valley all day long.

We also stayed at Camping Ordesa. It too did the job but was nothing special.
 Andy Manthorpe 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE: I've stayed at camping San Anton several times. It is run by a helpful family and has the benefit of a small bar restaurant and a grocery shop.

If I go back to Ordessa, I will stay there again.

Andy
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks Doug,Chris & Andy.
Any more?
 Doug 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE: I think the site Chris describes is the one I saw
 robw007 22 Jun 2007
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
About 5 years ago we camped near Ainsa in the Huesca region. Excellent site for access to cragging (near Ordessa Valley), via ferreta style mountain walking, white water rafting, mountain biking etc etc.

Weve got a couple of kids and it was great for them too with a pool and space to play football on and bike about.

Excellent nearby villages to visit and lots of superb bars - it was a great holiday.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...