UKC

manchester climbing centre - easy to find?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 22 Nov 2007
hello

dumb question but I've not been there before... I've got the multimap directions and all looks pretty straightforward, but is Manchester Climbing Centre pretty easy to find? I mean, is it conspicuous in terms of the signage of the centre?

I'll be driving and I don't generally get lost, but thought I'd ask you people rather than spending an afternoon investigating the grimmage of Manc...

ta.
In reply to CJD: Aye if you stay on the right roads ITs a big church with a sign on it indicating MCC. But dont remember any signs off the main road (A57 Hyde road). the junction of bennett street and hyde road has a carwash on one side and a couple of bill boards on the other.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&time=&date=&ttype=&...

Cheers
Tim
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to tbertenshaw:

brilliant - thanks for that! I do wish multimap et al would put details like pubs and that on their directions... it'd make life so much easier
 Paul748 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:
Yes, very easy to find BUT be careful in and around that area. I worked next door at Fujitsu for 6 years and it isn't one of the best areas of Manchester.

Drive straight there, don't stop and keep your doors locked. They filmed shameless on the estate near it. Say no more.
 cathsullivan 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

I'd agree that, while the church is pretty obvious, Bennett Street really isn't. It's a small residential street and it looks quite unlikely. But, yes, if you look for the car wash (which might not actually be open and working if you go at night time) that will help a lot - assuming you are travelling away from the Apollo/City Centre and not towards it. I *think* (you could check on the map) the turning is just before a railway bridge that goes over the A57.
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to cathsullivan:

I'm off this afternoon so it'll at least be daylight.

thank you everyone!
 cathsullivan 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Paul748:
> (In reply to CJD)

> Drive straight there, don't stop and keep your doors locked.

That's a little bit OTT, surely? It's pretty rough round there, I'll give you that, but ...
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Paul748:

yeah, I know it's not in the best area, which was why I was wanting to avoid getting lost...

eek!

If you see a 'nearly new CJD' being flogged on ebay, you'll know I've fallen into the wrong hands.
 Pauline 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD: have you not downloaded the maps off their web site. i recall they were excellent giving local land marks!
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Pauline:

no printer at home...
 Pauline 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD: can you print them off at work? or are you at home now?
 Pauline 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Pauline)
>
> no printer at home...
copy them... you are supposed to be arty... they are only line drawings!
 Paul748 22 Nov 2007
In reply to cathsullivan:
> (In reply to Paul748)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> That's a little bit OTT, surely? It's pretty rough round there, I'll give you that, but ...

I worked next door at Fujitsu for six whole years. People I worked with had laptops stolen from their cars as they stopped at the Hyde road junction. We were told to put valuables in the boot and lock car doors. We also had a remote car park which the security staff would accompany any one to if they were on their own at night. Yes it is that bad, I am not being over the top.

But very easy to get to and the MCC car park is very secure.
 CarolineMc 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD: As Cath said above, the turning for Bennett Street is by the railway bridge over the A57.

Are you coming in from the M60? If so take junction 24 and the A57 into Manchester. Follow it for three miles and as you go under the railway bridge, indicate right as the turning is just after it, by the car wash place. Then you won't miss the church on the right, it's just up the road! C-:
In reply to CJD:

Aye the car park is manned at night and has security cameras at all times.

Cheers
Tim
 Pauline 22 Nov 2007
In reply to tbertenshaw: aye n the little bloke on the car park is lovely! I always feel sorry for him in winter...
 cathsullivan 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Paul748:

Fair enough - I'm not saying it doesn't pay to be a bit careful and I guess someone who hasn't been to that bit of Manchester before could get rather a shock. And there's no harm in warning people to watch out, I suppose. I just thought that one sentence seemed a little bit OTT and there are lots and lots of places where it pays to be careful and sensible.

I used to live in North Reddish and I used to walk from Hyde Road bus station (and back) across to the Manchester Poly campus on Hathersage Road every day and often in the dark. I must admit, I'd be less keen to do it nowadays, but needs must and all that. I did used to get a bit nervous sometimes and I did tend to try and be careful (to the extent that you actually can). Luckily, I never had any bother - but than again, I wasn't wandering around with a mobile, an ipod, a laptop bag or anything vaguely expensive looking.
 Rob Hannah 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

Aim for the church spire if you're feeling a little lost, you shouldn't go too wrong. The area isn't so good, but I wouldn't worry. Keeping your doors locked etc is a good idea, but the suggestion doesn't/shouldn't imply that your entering bosnia. I reckon that's good advice for most places nowadays.
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CarolineMc:

that's ace, cheers - just what I needed.

pauline, the 'no printer at home' should have given a clue as to my location... ha haaa, and yes, i could manage to find the pdfs perfectly well.

thanks everyone!
 freerangecat 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

I got lost every time I tried to get there, often quite badly. Take a A-Z so you can find yourself when you end up on some random sidestreet!

Cat
In reply to Rob Hannah: Id be careful with this advice there is another Church/monestry thingie which is bigger than MCC and quite close.

Cheers
Tim
 Mita 22 Nov 2007
In reply to Pauline:
> (In reply to tbertenshaw) aye n the little bloke on the car park is lovely! I always feel sorry for him in winter...

Ryan & Steve man the car parks and they are lovely....
 zoobizooretta 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

M62 west, come off at junction 18 signed M60, follow this round till you see the A57 sheffield signs, come off here (can't remember the junction number) turn right at the round about, onto the dual carriageway, follow this road all the way down, through all the lights, don't turn off it.
You'll pass showcase cinemas on your left, keep going into town, when you pass under a railway bridge it's your next right by a handwash car place. The church is facing you.
OP CJD 22 Nov 2007
In reply to CarolineMc:

perfect advice - 3 miles exactly!

it was well easy to find - and I really enjoyed my afternoon there. It's the first indoor wall I've been to where I could happily spend a full rainy afternoon, as the routes were good, cafe was splendid, it all seems pretty well organised, the staff were friendly.

Hurrah for there being a way better alternative for a big wall close by, than going to Leeds!

one thought - the grades felt pretty tough, which I thought was probably a good thing - and yes, before some manchester user comes along to patronise me, I'm sure it *is* just me being weak...

cathsullivan 23 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to CarolineMc)
>
> one thought - the grades felt pretty tough, which I thought was probably a good thing - and yes, before some manchester user comes along to patronise me, I'm sure it *is* just me being weak...

No, I think they're a bit stiff too compared to some other walls. I think that when it first opened the grades were really, really soft (and there seemed to be a few comments on here to that effect, IIRC) but that recently they've gone rather the other way.

Glad you enjoyed it and didn't get lost. I like it there too and have enjoyed spending days in there when it's minging outside alternating the cafe and the climbing.
 Mike Stretford 23 Nov 2007
In reply to CJD:

>
> one thought - the grades felt pretty tough, which I thought was probably a good thing - and yes, before some manchester user comes along to patronise me, I'm sure it *is* just me being weak...

The grades were a bit soft when it first opened, but as you say they seem to have sorted that out now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...