UKC

Chin ups at home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby S 02 Dec 2007
I was going to get a pull up bar for the house and came across one of these:

http://www.chinups.co.uk/

Anyone got one? You don't need screws to fix it to the door frame which is bloody great as I'm a bit of a disaster when it comes to drilling stuff!
 Stash 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:
thats on my christmas list now!
 timo.t 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: looks like a really good idea! i want one.
 robdan 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:
yep top of my list now.
OP Toby S 02 Dec 2007
In reply to robdan:

Only £30 too. It'll be ideal for me when the missus goes to Uni as I can use it at home and if I'm mega keen I can take it to work and use it there.

Wee Davie 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:

I've got one of the screw- in- cup telescopic type chin up bars you get in Argos. They are cheap and good, easy to fit. That pull up bar looks good, but to be honest the cheapo ones are easy enough to fit.

Davie
gnarlycharles 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: id check ebay first i think they were cheaper there by a few quid. i had one of the cheap ones and although its good for the money id say its worth spending the extra cash and getting the one on your link.
OP Toby S 02 Dec 2007
In reply to gnarlycharles:

If I get the missus to buy it using her business account we should get the VAT back so will prob just buy it off the proper site. It's a justifiable expense as she's a sport massage therapist and needs to buy loads of fitness gear.
OP Toby S 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Wee Davie:

I see your point, however our doors are a bit low so prefer the more expensive model.
 ligaya 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: ive got one and they're pretty decent, seems strong and they're nice and high (I'm 6'4). The only downside is I can't get mine to collapse again to the flat shape, but I have a big cupboard so its not a total disaster. Long term project is to find a good way of attaching a fingerboard to it..
 Paul Atkinson 02 Dec 2007
In reply to ligaya: any comments on the "doesn't leave marks / damage" claim?

ta P
lylecloss 02 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: Check your door lintel depth first! We bought this - great bit if kit - but it didn't fit any of our doors. Our door lintels are 1900s Victorian - about 5.5 inches deep. Unfortunately there's no indication anywhere I could find what maximum depth door lintel they will fit onto.
 robdan 08 Dec 2007
In reply to lylecloss:
Just got mine. I think it's a good piece of kit but as above be aware it doesn't kit all doors, luckily it does fit one of ours. Me and some mates (3 of us) bought 1 each and got it delivered to work incl p&p for £72 for the 3. Got a stinking cold but at least I can do some training indoors today !
 ro8x 08 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:

Just use the door-frame....in my house i've got various styles of frame, from crimped and a flattie to a sloping one.
You can campus on them too.
adamtc 08 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: The state of our house I reckon that thing would rip the door frame clean off!
It does look good but I prefer rock rings...though you do have to find something sturdy to tie them to.
 mungo 08 Dec 2007
In reply to Wee Davie:
I also have cheap telescopic argos type,I have highish doors (1930 house) ive also cobbled and make shift campus/wall board to it that just hooks over the bar and uses the same principal as the more expensive type, see pic.. works ok !!

http://img.ukclimbing.com/i/70011.jpg
 Matt Maynard 08 Dec 2007
In reply to mungo: Mung, this looks like prime injury territory mate with those 90 degress woody edges. It will be really easy to tweak something hanging on this and could result in some serious climbign lay off. Go easy on yourself mate! Check out the moon fingerboard at moonclimbing.com for some user friendly finger strength product at just 40 quid. It will save you a lot of frustrated climbing weekends at home I guarantee!
rginns 08 Dec 2007
In reply to Matt Maynard and mungo: I don't think there's too much of a problem as long as you file the edges so they're rounded instead of 90 degrees - I use a similar set up at home to good effect - as ever you need to warm up thoroughly - no point spending £40 on a moon board when this will do fine.
 mungo 08 Dec 2007
In reply to rginns and mattyork2 :
Cheers for the advice chaps will get me file out, could never really hang the blocks in question anyhow, I normally have one hand and the jug and the other on the crimp... I will probably revert back to just the bar for next season training, which will no doubt start again after the festive period !! ho ho ho
greyham 09 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:
ive only got really rubbish weak walls does anybody know anything i can use?
ive been keen to get one for years but been too scared to pay for it then it to rip a huge hole in my wall on first attempt, or am i just being a big scredy cat.
also im 11st will this make any significant influence?
cheers.
 robdan 09 Dec 2007
In reply to greyham:
I've been using mine this weekend and so far been happy with it, no damage on frame etc. It's the one on the link at the top of the thread. 11st you will be fine, I'm 12st10lb so no probs there.
 Steve Parker 09 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S:

I made one out of a piece of 2X2. Cost about 40p and allows exactly the same chinning up as anything else would.
 Marc C 09 Dec 2007
In reply to robdan: I've had the Powerbar for ages, it's a great concept (far superior to the telescopic screw-in types)
greyham 11 Dec 2007
In reply to robdan:
excellent cheers top of my christmas list it goes!
TRDSpitfire 11 Dec 2007
In reply to Toby S: will be buying one when i can, like the idea it can be taken down in seconds =)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...