UKC

Gabriel's Oboe/beautiful music thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flicka 01 Feb 2008
Fkn beautiful piece of music.

Your turn! Name what you think is a beautiful piece of music
 Mooncat 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Suzanne by Leonard Cohen, on my cd now, followed bt Glen Gould playing The Goldberg Variations by Bach, hopefully to fall asleep to.
In reply to Mooncat:

There are far better versions of the Goldberg Variations than the famous one done years ago by Glen Gould. I find the 'bog standard' HMV classics, Maria Tipo, version much more satisfying, for starters.

Just to throw something else similar into the pile: Beethoven's Diabelli Variations. Probably about 300 years ahead of its time, in that we still haven't quite caught up with it.
 Mikkel 01 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Moricone again, the theme from Once Upon a time in the West.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: apart from tipo, whose would you recommend? I'm rather fond of the keith jarrett recordings. open to all
 Blue Straggler 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Mokkel:

yay!

Main Theme, Man With The Harmonica, Morton, Jill's America, Finale - stunning stuff throughout (you have to get the expensive French re-release, to get the 1min36s 'Morton' - well worth it )

Hmm I have to come up with something now

Thegri (I Send an SOS) by Souad Massi is lovely.
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Nooooo you're so wrong, Ive got the Maria Tipo version (on your recommendation thank you) and while I like it a lot and think the transitions are probably better than Gould, I think it lacks the precision of Goulds.

We'll just have to differ.
In reply to Flicka:

oh and the entirety of seefeel's album "quique"
Anonymous 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:

Vaughan Williams Fifth Symphony.

CJ.
In reply to Mooncat:

It's strange. I still listen to the Gould quite often. It's so hard to say just why one prefers certain interpretations. With the Beethoven piano sonatas, despite all much more modern, superior recordings, I go back again and again to Barenboim or even Schnabel.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka: strauss' vier letze liede by lisa della casa on emi
 Mikkel 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Just found my CD with Once upon a time in the West music, i sooo have to watch that movie again some day soon.
Anonymous 02 Feb 2008
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to colin harvey: sorry, decca425 959-2
In reply to Flicka:

btw I have experienced On Earth As It Is In Heaven (commonly known as "that music from The Mission") performed live by Ennio Morricone and his Orchestra

It was alright, I suppose.
In reply to Flicka:

The Vigil, by Jane Siberry
In reply to Flicka:

OK, since you were asking about something truly beautiful, I can think of almost nothing that comes close to the truly gut-churning beauty of the bass arioso in Bach's St John's Passion, 'Betrachte, meine Seile' (Look yonder, O my soul)

What about "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, though?
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008

An excellent choice, I'd also like to add Vaughan Williams Tallis.
 Toby S 02 Feb 2008
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> What about "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, though?

This thread started off so well, now look what you've done!
 owlart 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka: Pachelbel's Canon in D does it for me every time. If I'm feeling down, it makes me cry, if I'm feeling good it makes me feel even better!

Another one would be "Forgotten Dreams" by Leroy Anderson
Moving slightly away from white Western music (only slightly, as I presume the Christian influence originates with Western - and probably white - missionaries) - track seven off this http://www.folkways.si.edu/projects_initiatives/indonesian/sampler.html has a real beauty in its simplicity and earnestness.

To my not unpleasant but great surprise, it was used sensitively and effectively at the end of Open Water!
In reply to Toby S:

oh somebody was going to, I got it out of the way.

oh and the collected works of The Beautiful South
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka: if you look very hard you may be able to find a recording of my angelic self singing Allegri's miserere with leeds parish church choir c.1986
 Toby S 02 Feb 2008

<<Shakes fist>>

Ultraviolet by Ed Alleyne Johnson is a superb album. One to help let your troubles wash away.

No, sorry, we're talking about extraordinarily beautiful. Another one, that for me nearly enters a supernatural realm ... extremely magic and extraordinary indeed ... in fact, I don't think I've ever heard such a miraculous transition in the whole of music (I've ever listened to), is the Praeludium and Benedictus from Beethoven's Missa Solemnis (the classic Klemperer recording).
In reply to Flicka:

Is this a 'beautiful music' thread or a 'Gabriel's Oboe/beautiful music' thread? Just looks odd in the title!

I was taking the piss re: James Blunt.

Do you ever listen to non-European music? Tuvan throat singing, qawaali, etc?
OP Flicka 02 Feb 2008

Lol that's what happens with the limit on how long a title can be!

I also nominate Elgar's Nimrod for beautiful music.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> <<Shakes fist>>
>
> Ultraviolet by Ed Alleyne Johnson is a superb album. One to help let your troubles wash away.

kyrie eleison...........
In reply to owlart:

OK, the very famous Pachelbel Canon and Allegri Miserere are absolutely wonderful, but there are even greater works that have been relatively ignored.

Quite a lot, actually, particularly South American.
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discoveringmusic/pip/nks1j/

Another of my favourites.
OP Flicka 02 Feb 2008
In reply to all:

Oh and I nominate Faure's requiem too.

Oh I haven't knowingly listened, as in proper LISTENING, to any South American music. Any particularly beautiful recommendations? You've always seemed to exclusively reference European classical music, hence my enquiry.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flickaiebestod finale of tristan? extraordinary, even the liszt transcription

In reply to Flicka:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Lol that's what happens with the limit on how long a title can be!
>
> I also nominate Elgar's Nimrod for beautiful music.

I've even used that as a soundtrack for a presentation I did for the BMC at the Buxton Conference in c 1992 (I think) rather against my better judgement... my arm was twisted. But it went down predictably well. My point is that there are a lot of equally beautiful or even more beautiful pieces of music that only a minority of people seem to have heard.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: andrew lawrence king's comp on harmonia mundi is worth a listen- renaissance spain in mexico.

No, my work on film and TV scores took me all round the world (musically) in the late 70s to mid 80s, before I left the film industry.
In reply to Mooncat:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discoveringmusic/pip/nks1j/
>
> Another of my favourites.

Thanks, listening to that now.

It's so Beethovenian it's almost unbelievable.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka: possibly a new "less well travelled" beautiful music thread. I nominate anything by Eric Dolphy.
In reply to Mooncat:

... superb stuff ... still listening ...
OP Flicka 02 Feb 2008

Equally it doesn't have to be obscure/little known etc to be beautiful.
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008

Glad you like it, first heard it at the Huddersfield Contemporary music festival a few years back, went there specifically to hear some Steve Reich and came out absolutely stunned by this.

I'm constantly amazed Volans isn't better known.
In reply to Flicka:
>
> Equally it doesn't have to be obscure/little known etc to be beautiful.

That's not what Gordon is suggesting.
 colin harvey 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Mooncat: very good. thanks
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008
In reply to colin harvey:

You're welcome.

Another (and how could I forget) Mr Stainforths musical contribution to The Shining, particularly the Ligeti. The first time I watched the shining I didn't notice the music, that normally tells me it's been well used and fits the scenario well.
In reply to Mooncat:

(Well mostly Penderecki, actually)
 Mooncat 02 Feb 2008

I prefer the Ligeti, was there some Bartok as well?
In reply to Mooncat:

Yes, Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste. The way I used it through the scene with Jack and Danny in the bedroom (initially against Kubrick's wishes) was I think my best contribution to the film.
In reply to Mooncat:

We used it for the summer maze, too, and when Jack looks down at the model of the maze.
In reply to Flicka: I adore Nimrod.
How about Mahler's symphony no6.
 idiotproof 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:
> Fkn beautiful piece of music.

Gabriels Oboe is my my favourite too....

also Nimrod, Enigma Variations comes a close second. Totally different listening moods needed though

idiotproof 02 Feb 2008
In reply to idiotproof:

wrote before I noticed you'd also put down Nimrod, Flicka.... musical taste twins
In reply to Flicka: Rachmaninov's Piano concertos no1 and no2. Thrilling climaxes abound.
 owlart 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka: I must be an uncultured philistine, but I'd never heard Gabriel's Oboe before now. Just found it on YouTube(!) and it's superb! Thanks for that! The oboe does make a delightful sound though.
In reply to Flicka: Never heard it. However, seeing the thread title did make me think of 'With this love', by Peter Gabriel; both the choral and orchestral versions are wonderful.

It's from his music for The last temptation of Christ.

T.
Yrmenlaf 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:

There is a 1400 Christmas song called "Lollay, Lollay" which is gut-wrenchingly beautiful

Bach's unaccompanied violin - in particular, the D min Ciaconne (may be spelled incorrectly)

Some of Maxwell Davies - the "Our Father" from the end of "Westerlings", or "A Hoy Calendar" are extra-ordinarily beautiful, if you are in the mood.

Y.
In reply to Flicka: Summer means new love by the Beach Boys really moves me, as does most of the stuff Brian Wilson has written.
 Mark Warwicker 02 Feb 2008
In reply to Flicka:
Karl Jenkins' 'Requiem. I first heard this whilst working on my bike in the garage, and could do nothing but sit there on the floor and listen until it was finished.
And thanks to my sister, one I only discovered last week: Andrea Bocelli - 'Con Te Partiro'. Has to be the original solo version, youtube.com/watch?v=Qhh8MaRnzMc&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...