UKC

NEW ARTICLE: 'Mush' - By Rolando Garibotti

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 24 Feb 2008
Ever wondered how climbers get past the summit ice mushrooms of Cerro Torre?

Overhanging monsters of fluffy, unprotected rime-ice that have stopped many teams in their tracks.

Rolando Garibotti explains;

"The last mushroom, 200 feet of looming vertical cotton candy above. Ale took a stab at it, but retreated drenched and tired. Erman went next and managed a few more feet. I had led most of the lower 4000 feet of our climb and had hoped to skirt the mushroom terror, but in spite of myself, I offered to lead. Initially I charged ahead a bit too enthusiastically, but after two or three moves I realized that I was going nowhere. I stopped and breathed deeply, eventually finding calm. It took me nearly two hours to finish the lead"

Read More (with inspirational photographs): http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=835
 blueshound 24 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor:

Awesome photo.
 jongriffith 24 Feb 2008
In reply to blueshound: Agreed thats a brilliant shot
 petellis 25 Feb 2008

Great imformative article. Is the picture at the bottom entitled "Reproduced with the kind permission of Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd." advertising or just randomly dropped in for no reason? Surely the kind permission comes in the form of a large cheque...?

TobyA 25 Feb 2008
In reply to petellis:

> Great imformative article. Is the picture at the bottom entitled "Reproduced with the kind permission of Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd." advertising or just randomly dropped in for no reason? Surely the kind permission comes in the form of a large cheque...?

I suspect you got it the wrong way around, rather the article was reproduced with the permission of BD, and their "price" for doing so was an ad at the bottom of the page - which seems like a good deal for us readers.
 tom r 28 Feb 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Assistant Editor: That top mushroom picture is amazing!
 Wee Davie 01 Mar 2008

Nice article. I also enjoyed Andy Kirkpatrick's article about Garibotti on his own Psychovertical site.

Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...