UKC

creme Brullee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 idiotproof 17 Mar 2008
My Creme Brullee always taste Fan-Tastic but are essentially custard and fruit with a hard top.....

what am I doing wrong, cooking too long, not long enough, too much cream.......... come on ukc foodies
 John Wood 17 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof:

erm custard with a hard top is how its supposed to be.

Ok for starters, are you using a bain marie (water bath)?
 hutchm 17 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof:

Fruit?
 toad 17 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof: Hey I remember - back in the day, I could walk into a urinal and heads would turn.

Where's Les McQueen when you need him?
 DaveHK 17 Mar 2008
In reply to toad:

Eurovision...heats...it's a sh*t business
 Enty 17 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof:

Never had fruit in it and apart from the burnt sugar on top the "custard" bit should not be runny.

The Ent
OP idiotproof 17 Mar 2008
In reply to Enty:

oh man!!!!!!! rhubarb or passion fruit brulee is the way forward!!!!

and yes do use a bain marie thingy, I dont wont it solid but it is runny custard like and i prefer thick custard consistency for my brulle
 Mark Morris 17 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof: If you want it firmer (ahem) , just cook for longer and let cool, dont think you can have firm and hot. There seems to be a lot of variation in peoples ideas of creme brulee.

Prefer it cold, with warm crusty layer, with out fruit, but possibly rhubarb, myself. But I will eat cold custard from a can as possibly the best desert ever.
 lost1977 17 Mar 2008
In reply to toad:

lol
adamstaniforth 18 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof: cook it on a low heat, gas2 in a bain marie cook books always say 25-30 mins but i think they assume you have some amazing convection oven. the key is cook them a little longer until they have only a slight wobble, then cool them quite slowly. where people go wrong is undercooking or getting bored of waiting and cranking the oven heat up which invariably gives them that scrambled egg texture. i find baileys brulees are absoloutley blinding people love them
Baldone 18 Mar 2008
In reply to idiotproof:
Worked in an award winning restaurant where we used this recipe

1/2 pint Cream boiled with the inside of a vannila pod,
Add 2 egg yolks & 1 oz of Castor sugar
Cook on a very low heat in a bain marie for about an hour.
Remove from the water as they come out of the oven as they will cool better.
When cool sprinkle the top with a thin layer of brown sugar and glaze under a red hot grill or with a blowtorch (any good chef will have one).

This basic recipe can be added to with fruit (raspberry is good) or alcohol. the possibilities are endless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...