UKC

Sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Now this is an area probably as frought with danger as choosing to wear a TAG watch! I gave my Oakley minutemans to my son a sthey looked cheap and nasty so Ive dragged my old TNF sunglasses out and found that they are scratched and wont fit under my motorcycle helmet

whats what for riding/climbing?
 Tree 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey: Can't go far wrong with Julbo- they even do a pair with rubbery legs, which I always thought was best for wearing under a lid (stops them digging in). Good lenses, cool designs and a pedigree in mountaineering, my glacier glasses have been left in some pretty sorry states but always washed well without scratching.
 The Lemming 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I have a pair I bought from Tesco for £10 which are Cat 3 and polarised.

Not bad looking either for wraparounds.
 Sandrine 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I would back up Julbo too, not the cheapest, but a long term investment.
Profanisaurus Rex 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I use Oakley Half-wires under a full-face lid. They fit well and do their job!
In reply to Masood: hundred quid!
In reply to Sandrine: Tree: I sold my Julbo glacier glasses 2 pairs in fact after returning from Chamonix and needing the dosh
Rosie A 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I find my ability to keep hold of a pair of sunglasses is inversely proprtionate to their cost, so I spend as little as possible on them.
 Greenbanks 05 May 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
>
> I find my ability to keep hold of a pair of sunglasses is inversely proprtionate to their cost, so I spend as little as possible on them.

An excellent observation. Likewise here.

andy 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey: My local bike shop (Chevin Cycles ) are now very scathing about Oakley - they say they have to stock them because the full suss/BMW X5 fraternity insist on them, but they always recommend Rudy Project glasses for cycling - they are (I am told) "an engineered product"...

I've got a couple of pairs, but wear Rydons most of the time - interchangeable lenses and never steam up like my Oakley half-jackets used to (which could be something to do with my massive head).

http://www.rudyprojectuk.com/
 Jim Fraser 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

In my experience, few take the quality of the optics and the quality of protection more seriously than Cebe and they communicate the facts to the end user which is always a good sign. They tend not to be very expensive.

The categories of the European standard should be taken very seriously if you intend using them in glacial terrain in summer.

For the highest levels of protection, mineral lenses are required (real glass!).
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Masood) hundred quid!

I've had mine about 11 years. No scratches on the lenses or damage to the frame, and I don't treat them with kid gloves. Been worn motorbiking, mountain biking, rock and ice climbing, skiing...

You get what you pay for IMO...
johnj 05 May 2008
In reply to Masood: I had about seven pairs of Oakley, they all broke, obviously I used to have more money than sense
In reply to johnj:

Ah well. Like I say, my experience has been very different...
 Horse 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I use these:

http://www.spiuk.co.uk/acatalog/Yara_Ranges.html

The work really well under a very close fitting Shoei helmet and unlike many other sunglasses don't a)spoil peripheral vision b) move about when you have to turn your head at a junction.

Next helmet will be one of these:

http://www.schuberth.com/index.php?id=20&L=1

Then I don't have to bother with sunglasses when riding.
 rallymania 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
i've got
a pair of m-frame oakleys with iridium lens and spare clear and yellow lens
a pair of bloc sunglasses from tkmaxx for "casual" wear (ok, ok, posing)
a pair of tesco £3 POS glasses that sit in the car incase i get caught out

probably the blocs would work under a motorbike helmet but tkmaxx have loads of sunglasses in most shops
 Frankie boy 05 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:
Whilst in the States, I got a bargain priced pair of Oakleys that boast bullet proof lenses.
Whats the odds on someone shooting me in the eye?
Franklin the pedantic cat 05 May 2008
Will Phillips 07 May 2008
A pair of Oakley limited edition romeo/juliet x metals, which I have had for well over 6yrs and they have been faultless and stood up well to the abuse of mountian biking and skiing. Yes they were expensive but I feel they were worth every penny as they have outlasted all other previous sunglasses I have owned. I also have a pair of oakley striaght line (wires) for everyday all the time percription wear which see a lot more abuse than the sunnies and they too have been faultless and stood the test of time over a lot of pairs of other designer glasses.

John Wood 07 May 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
>
> I find my ability to keep hold of a pair of sunglasses is inversely proprtionate to their cost, so I spend as little as possible on them.

I thought it was just me - i take the same approach to watches...
 nz Cragrat 07 May 2008
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
>

I was going to say ditto but realised that despite my ability to lose them I still buy the ones I like (Smith sliders)
 Nic 07 May 2008
In reply to Masood:

Bet they haven't been run over by an X5 though - Mrs Nic, bless her, left a bag with them in by the side of the car, expecting me to see it and put it in the boot. I didn't, and wondered what the bump was (I thought maybe it was a cyclist I hadn't seen behind me or something...). It was far worse - my prescription Oakleys and a Platypus waterbottle. The latter survived, the former were squashed flat. However, much frame bending later they are now at least functional, although one of the lenses looks like it might pop at any time.
 CJD 07 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I've got some julbo ones with lovely blue frames that look a bit overkill for driving round town, but I do need sunglasses in the car. I just have to remember to take them *out* of the car for hill days!
Anonymous 07 May 2008
In reply to Frankie boy:
> (In reply to Fawksey)
>
> Whats the odds on someone shooting me in the eye?

Slim.

Odds of the lens popping out of the frame if they ever do?

High.

Top quality Marketing Bull from Oakley there...
 idiotproof 07 May 2008
In reply to Fawksey:

I find Bolle ones the best for me, I get really bad headaches in the sun if eyes aren't shaded.

Had one set I adored for about 4 years and they were absolutely bomb proof and gave perfect vision, and sat well when climbing, falling, skiing and biking without feeling like they weere digging in. Lost them about a year and half ago and have lost 2 other pairs of Bolle ones since....... D'OH!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...