UKC

Bangor north wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
its blatantly good for outdoors climbing but i only know of the beacon climbing centre in north wales,a nd isnt tht a bit far away?? im thinking of apllying to Bangor uni so would like to be able to train when its wet and cold?? does anyone know of any websites for the walls??
 33% Longer 21 Aug 2008
In reply to dunkymonkey17:

BUMS (bangor uni mountaineering society) regularly train at the beacon - its really not all that far away at all
In reply to 33% Longer: oh ok then cool, i was just worried it would be miles away and i wouldnt be able to get there very often, do u know how often they go??
 Banned User 77 21 Aug 2008
In reply to 33% Longer: Is maesglas still a bouldering wall? I used to really enjoy all morning sessions on the bouldering wall.
 osh 21 Aug 2008
In reply to dunkymonkey17: If you're a member of the University climbing club you can climb at the Indie wall, which is excellent, and fairly close. There's also a small climbing wall on the campus.
 osh 21 Aug 2008
In reply to IainRUK: Yes, and new mats there now too covering the entire floor.
 33% Longer 21 Aug 2008
In reply to dunkymonkey17: most wednesdays when i've been up there with aberystwyth university
 BenTiffin 21 Aug 2008
In reply to dunkymonkey17: When I was there - 95-99, we used to go to the Beacon on posh occasions but could always get on the small wall in the Friddoedd Leisure centre which is where most of the halls are. It had a fairly small (10m wide) bouldering wall and 8m high top roping/leading walls.

Outdoors, there is always the Arches traverse and a buildering wall below them.

It was always ample.

Ben
 mattsccm 21 Aug 2008
Whats wrong with the arches and wall below. Kept me happy for 3 years when all we had otherwise was Plas Menai or what ever they call it now or the good old Spastic Bread Bin wall in the old stable by the road. then again in 83 to 86 we didn't expect to find much indoors. consider buying big boots and a waterproof if moving to Bangor, aye
 Andrew.Davies 21 Aug 2008
In reply to mattsccm: Where are these arches you speak so fondly of?
 Hjort 21 Aug 2008
Dammit andy - you just beat me to it.... Aren't they somewhere near mai arts?

Toby
 Andrew.Davies 23 Aug 2008
In reply to dunkymonkey17: Where abouts near main arts?
 BenTiffin 23 Aug 2008
In reply to napalm_life: The terrace on the south (town) side of the Main Arts building. There is a traverse starting one end of the terrace in the corner and going all the way to the other incorporating a decent foot ledge most of the way but with two balancy chipped out concrete fingery sections, a whole load of sloping handhold/foothold window ledges to cross and the arches themselves which you can either thug up and across or incoporate pullups into them.

I've done them a couple of times since finishing in 1999 but been booted off by security guards. Evening venue only.

Ben
 Mike Peacock 24 Aug 2008
In reply to BenTiffin: There's also a wall below the lookout near Fridd on Holyhead Road you can boulder on.
 IOAN D 24 Aug 2008
As a uni student, apply to BUMS and you gain entry into the indefatigable (spelling, i know)army wall. It has an amazing bouldering wall.
Katy
In reply to dunkymonkey17: cool so its pretty easy to keep fit in the winter then?? thts good! tht was what i worried about with going to bangor was that the outdoors climbing wud be awesome but id be too weak to do mcuh!! good times!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...