UKC

Peak district crag query - anyone climbed here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 04 Nov 2008
Hi, just wondered if anyone has ever done any climbs on this outcrop in the dark peak

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=glossop&...

cheers,

Jam
 Al Evans 04 Nov 2008
In reply to jamface: I used to live on Sitch Lane (Scroll Down) so yes, I think its called Cown Edge, but its not much and the farmer guards it with a vengance, he reputedly set Tony Brooders car on fire for climbing there.
 Al Evans 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Al Evans: Actually just cked its called Coombes Edge and is in the BMC 1990 Kinder guide.
 Monk 04 Nov 2008
In reply to jamface:

I've bouldered a bit up there but think access may be an issue. I think there are even keep off signs painted on the rocks. To be honest, it's not as extensive as it looks from a distance, although some bits are quite high.
 Mark Warwicker 05 Nov 2008
In reply to jamface:
I believe the crag that faces north-west is Coombes Edge and the smaller buttresses on the other side of the hill are Cown Edge. Either way, we're not welcome! I read somewhere that local legend used to have it that a witches' coven met below Coombes Edge. That may have been a story put about by the farmer to keep us off his land. But then again....
martin k 05 Nov 2008
In reply to jamface: the edge that overlooks the road is an enjoyable series of craglets with grades up to 5c. the other side is a different kettle of fish. there are some good lines, and a splitter crack that steve bancroft once did, however the crag is highly visible from the farm. i have not spoken to the farmer in ten years, and it might be a new tennant. i'll have a chat with him one day and see what gives.

you won't get chucked off the one that overlooks the road...i never have.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...