UKC

Vilanova de Meia or St Lorenc de Montgai in January

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 03 Dec 2008
Has anyone climbed in the Lerida region during the winter months? Which were the best crags for a day that starts frosty?

I've experienced Costa Daurada during Xmas, and that was do-able though we had snow. Llerida is further inland but perhaps crags are at lower levels ...
OP LeeWood 09 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon:

So, no-one considers this to be a winter option. I've just discovered theres a new guide to this area, and wonder whether anyone can reccomend it?

http://www.climb-europe.com/spain/RockClimbingPyrenees.htm
In reply to griffon:

My experience of this area is that it's suitability in winter is dependent on your grade. Vilanova gets a lot of sun apparently; the best climbing is the multipitch routes like lord of the rings and world music. St llorenc is quite limited, the best climbing is within a single cave with grades from 7c up, pretty much. Santa Linya is also good in the upper grades, and bruixes gets four hours of sun, again in the upper grades. Further afield, montgrony gets a lot of sun, but is quite high up.
 Dave Musgrove 09 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon: I've climbed at Villa Nova in November. Sunny during the day but cold at night. Not many shops or bars open either at that time of year and the refugio was very basic.

It is quite an extensive crag though with predominantly trad climbing and several of the big multi pitch routes have aid sections through the roofs.

Dave
 mrjonathanr 09 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon:
Couple of friends went over Xmas and January, raved about it.
 Cathy 10 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon: It is totally a winter venue. I was climbing at Vilanova on Saturday, at Cubells on Sunday. We were in T-shirts on Sunday as long as the sun was out. (And I was skiing on Monday - it is a great place to live!) You may need to move around a bit to find sheltered areas. The bigger walls are quite doable on warmer days, on colder days with wind you want to head for sheltered sport crags. You do want to stay in the sun and don't bother with anything before 10am. In the Alt Urgell Coll de Nargo is the winter crag of choice, and in the Noguera places like Cubells, Os de Balaguer, Sant Llorenc de M. There are a wealth of possibilities.
OP LeeWood 11 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon:

Well thank ye all for feedback. I should have guessed that you would have the most up to date info Cathy. After 2wks of research, my friends switched the holiday venue briefly to the Calanques, now to settle on Alicante.

Largely down to you (& Pete O'Donovan's articles), I'm now all hyped up for the Llerida scene - so I hope we can get there in the new year. A closer look at public transport will follow; I bet no-one knows about that, between Vielha & Balaguer?
 Cathy 14 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon: I love the Catalyuna climbing scene. Malaynu in the Bergueda is another great winter crag, sunny, sheltered, wonderfully remote. Not in the Balaguer area though.
There is one bus from Vielha to Balaguer, leaving at 5am! Better to do Vielha to Lleida - 4 buses a day. Then go back north towards the climbing areas. Details at http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa.
There is a train that runs from Lleida through Sant Llorenc de Montgai and then through Cellers (for Terradets) going on to terminate at La Pobla de Segur. Runs each way three times a day seven days a week. You will find times and prices at http://www.fgc.cat/cat/index.asp
You can also get from Lleida to both Sant L de M and Cellers by bus with Alsa, running once or twice a day.
 pencilled in 29 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon:
Thanks for this topic. We're planning on Villanove de Meia and Terradets 3-10 Jan.

Only prob we've found is that the refugio hasn't anwered any messages left by my (Spanish speaking) mates. Is there talk of a cheap hotel if the refugio is not open.

Also, if anyone knows what sort of cooking and eating stuff is available at the refugio, that would also be very useful info... I know a stove is only small, but the pots and paraphernalia add up to a chunk of easyjet allowance.
 Andy Manthorpe 29 Dec 2008
In reply to nick ingram: The climbers bar in Vilanova has some accomodation, but most people staying there eat in the bar.

The Hostal Del Lago, which is just north of Terradets at Cellers has accomodation but I have not stayed there so can't give you any details.
 pencilled in 29 Dec 2008
In reply to griffon:
Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...