UKC

Winter walking in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jacoob81 03 Jan 2009
Hi folks!

I have a basic winter mountaineering experience and I wanted to go to Scotland for a week of winter walking. I want to go on my own and limit my gear to an ice axe and crampons. I basically wanted to stay in some place and have one day trips. Can someone with more experience give me a piece of advice where exactly should I go? Which part of Scotland is the best for this?

Many thanks
Jakub
Removed User 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81:

I would recommend Fort William or Aviemore but if you have limited transport then you might want to stay in Glen Coe.

The problem is that there are numerous places you could go and have a really good time but these are the main centres.

In fact, this is a really difficult question to answer.
 abr1966 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81: I'd agree with the Glencoe option....walk from your door if you are staying in the village..
 griggj 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81: At the moment you'd be hard pushed to find any decent winter walking conditions. I'm just back from new year in Glencoe and although the gullies still have some of the white stuff in them the tops are pretty clear.
I would say that Fort William is as good a place as any to base yourself, with the Mamores, Aonachs on the doorstep and the Grey Corries and Glencoe a short drive away. if you want somewhere a little more remote try Wester Ross. there is great walking to be had up there.

J
jacoob81 03 Jan 2009
In reply to griggj: Good you mentioned that. The other part of the question is when to go. I was thinking about late February but I'm flexible on that. I'm sure nothing can be guaranteed here but surely there is some time of year when biggest amount of snow is expected?
 griggj 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81: I'm sure there will be plenty of the white stuff at the end of Feb, if you have the transport at that time of year i would highly recommend Wester Ross, Torridon , i went about that time last year and enjoyed some of the best winter walking ever.
 jacoob81 03 Jan 2009
In reply to griggj: Unfortunately I'm a public transport guy I was in Wester Ross last summer and now I'm absolutely in love with it. Just wondering if Liathach, Beinn Alligin or An Teallach would be a good match for me in winter.
 griggj 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81: If there is any doubt then maybe not a good idea but there is plenty o9f other good stuff up there. If your on public Transport then Glencoe or Fort William would be your best bet.
 Richard Baynes 03 Jan 2009
In reply to griggj: Wjhat no plug for the hut?
 petestack 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81:
> Just wondering if Liathach, Beinn Alligin or An Teallach would be a good match for me in winter.

Think they're grade II, I and II climbs respectively, but perhaps you knew that?

OP Anonymous 03 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81:

You could walk in to Shenavall, the bothy behind An Teallach, with a big load of food and fuel, and books and booze for the bad-weather days, and set up camp there? In the right winter, that would be a magic place to spend a week. The same goes for Sourlies bothy in Knoydart.
 The brainn 04 Jan 2009
In reply to jacoob81:Cairngorm's has got plenty bothies and 4 of the highest hills in Britain. Check out a map of the area and this will show where some bothies are. The map will also show the many mountains and top's. Enjoy .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...