UKC

city bloc any good???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrew300169 08 Feb 2009
Thinking of going down there next week how is it looking??
daley boy 08 Feb 2009
In reply to andrew300169: I was down there yesterday and was bowled over by the place. Fantastic routes and an awesome array of angles and volumes to work on. Definately worth a visit. The boys and girls down there have put together a classy venue.
 Mattyk 08 Feb 2009
In reply to andrew300169: Yeah its pretty good.. good problems too which is impressive seen as it was all set quite quickly.

Quite high though.. feels like you're on a highball. way better than leeds wall bouldering . atleast double if not triple the wall space..

PontiusPirate 08 Feb 2009
In reply to andrew300169:

Definately worth a trip (was there this evening after getting back from the Dales), and there's enough space and enough different angles (i.e. not just steep), to make sure there's a good variety of route-setting. A good start, though I was suprised to not see it busier - maybe everyone was ice climbing!

Far, far better bouldering than Leeds Wall; it'll be interesting to see how they respond - for instance it make make more sense to just make it a lead wall now? That said, Edge and Foundry in Sheff still have their bouldering despite the presence of the Climbing Works.

PP.

Maestro 11 Feb 2009
In reply to andrew300169: Just thought i'd bump this and see if anyone else has any opinions on it..? Thinking of heading over for a change of seen from the works if the weather is shit this weekend.

How does its size/climbing compare to the works??

Thanks
 Neil R 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Maestro: Went on Sunday and thought it was OK, although there was room for more routes to be set. Went back last night and started to realise there were some really well set problems so will definitely go back.
 Maestro 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Neil R: That sounds good. Are they done in a colour coded font style aswell then? And also would you say there's a good mix of high and low grades?

Thanks
 2pints 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Neil R:

I can't wait to check it out, I could soon have a lot more time on my hands!

Andy Kassyk 11 Feb 2009

Yup...its a good wall with some really wicked problems. Lots of different angles and not just all overhanging. some old skool gnarlyiness too.

Defo worth a visit.

Well done Ben and co.
OP andrew300169 12 Feb 2009
In reply to Maestro: I've only looked at the citybloc wall which looks nice and shiny. The works is significantly bigger but can get very busy at weekends, especially during bad weather. This makes it difficult to follow the circuits which is a shame as they are great fun.

I have been there at weekends (from S. Leeds) because I have pals who live nearby and my kids love the kids wall (it has a slide). Assuming you don't have these excuses / pressures, I would probably save it for a day when your already in the peak and it starts to piss down (You wont have to wait to long)
 Mattyk 12 Feb 2009
In reply to Ben Meeks: Ben.. Firstly really like the problems.. they're all really interesting.. The thing that impresses me most is that i feel i could bring a beginner and they would have a great time as the beginners routes aren't boring either.

I particularly like the grey circuit, some great moves especially the one on the barrel ( my favourite).

A suggestion: The works has a list of the problems numbered and suggests if they are average, hard or easy for the grade range.. ,maybe something for the next setting? It would be good to have a font (or V) grade range to go with each of the circuits.. I'm thinking greys are upto V4-5ish? or am i being a bit soft?

Also be good if you can keep us up to date on new setting of circuits etc maybe via the blog

Good work anyway, i like it!
Matt
 jrk2673 18 Feb 2009

In reply to andrew300169 I have been a couple of times now and am impressed. I have not been climbing much lately, so am working my way around the easy stuff to get back into it. The reds and blues are nice problems, not the jugfest that you normally get at the lower end of the grades. It looks like they are seeing some traffic too, so I guess it must be doing well.

j_duds 20 Feb 2009
does this place have changing rooms and showers?
 Mckenzie 20 Feb 2009
it looks quite small, maybe im wrong?
 jugglingeek 03 Mar 2009
I had a look down there today and didn't find it that inspiring to be honest. I'm sure it will totally rock once the setters get a bit more used to the place and I love that there are slabs and walls, not just overhangs and roofs. However too many of the problems at my grade (about V2/V3) were either crimp ladders or big dynamic moves between jugs. It's certainly bigger than the Leeds Wall, but for someone who likes problems that require precise footwork as opposed to strong arms I prefer the setting at The Wall. Maybe I'm just sore because I wanted to climb Otley Wall and Low Pebble Wall at Caley Roadside today and ended up plastic pulling. I will go again though. The new problems may be more my thing. Great to have a proper bouldering wall in Leeds for those rainy weekends when I don't have the time for a trip to Sheffield
OP andrew300169 03 Mar 2009
In reply to jugglingeek: I fealt the opposite to be honest. When I was there the problems were excellent, slopers and tricky rock overs. I liked it because the moves fealt 'natural'?? Moves I would do outdoors (if I had 6" of matting underneath me). Although they did change some of the problems last week.
 dr_botnik 04 Mar 2009
hmm, i've only just got back into climbing after a 3 year break, and happen to be living in the deep dark depths of lincolnshire so am sadly lacking in any real rock to climb (besides old buildings...)

however, have been to citibloc whilst visiting friends in leeds, and have to give the place a definite recomendation. really interesting routes, particularly those greys (though alot felt just outside my ability), and generally a good range below and above that. although none of the problems were given grades at the time i went, dont really know what that would add. its nice to think "oooh, im climbing blah" but in reality, theres still variation in a single grade, ive always managed to find 4c's i struggle on, and 5a's i walk, i guess i just have a particular style.

i find its something about the experience that matters, and despite the venue being newly opened and lacking things such as lockers/showers, the climbing definatly had what it needed to give. nervy, but fun. might need a spotter on some of the sections, but it might just be that im an absolute jessie.

admittedly my only recent experience has been the works in sheff (also visited whilst on route to old friends) which is larger but busier. still good climbing, more bells and whistles, but out of the two i honestly couldn't say which i preffered. well, the works, but only when its empty, and only coz theres more physical space. saying that, citibloc was still big enough to keep me amused for 3 hours, and longer if i didnt have other commitments, and more finger stamina.

what more can i say? friendly staff at each, thats for sure. why not go check it out and post a review here after? id appreciate hearing what you think, see if it tallies with me.
 Crofty 10 Mar 2009
In reply to Maestro: We went a couple of weeks ago and thought it good. Will visit once or twice a month. Hope they change the routes regular. Link to a report on Yorkclimbers.com

http://yorkclimbers.ning.com/profiles/blogs/citybloc-1

Crofty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...