UKC

NEW REVIEW: Beta Stick Technical

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 09 Feb 2009
Iain Whitehouse tests out the Beta Stick Technical.

What on earth is it?

"On half-dome the half-hour I spent gibbering as I eyed up the big gap in a bolt ladder on the final slabs could have been cut down to five minutes with the stick..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1623
 Ally Smith 10 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

The review doesn't mention that the beta clip-stick only works effectively with modern, small wire gate krabs.

I've seen the beefier std version snapped lifting not much rope, and the std version is infamous for the locking rings failing. Somethng, that at least this avalanche probe style pole should overcome.
 Morgan Woods 10 Feb 2009
In reply to ally smith:

mine seems to work fine with a variety of crab types, BD, Petzl, WC, DMM....wire or solid gates.

Anyway the ava probe type design seems like a good step forward.
 Adam Lincoln 10 Feb 2009
In reply to ally smith:
>and the std version is infamous for the locking rings failing. Somethng, that at least this avalanche probe style pole should overcome.

I really don't see why they don't make it like a tripod design with the locks on the legs as they expand. The current twist method clearly didn't work very well.

IainWhitehouse 10 Feb 2009
In reply to ally smith:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> The review doesn't mention that the beta clip-stick only works effectively with modern, small wire gate krabs.

Mainly becuase that is not true. It was designed to work with the Petzl Spirit. I own a ranom old mix of DMM truclips, faders, Black diamond quicksilvers and the technical I tested worked on all of them okay. The only solid gate krab that I have found that doesn't work is the DMM Shadow.
Iain
 James Oswald 10 Feb 2009
How much do they weigh?
James
 IainWhitehouse 11 Feb 2009
In reply to james oswald: 650g including the bag, which is how I expect you'd want to carry it.
Iain
Removed User 12 Feb 2009
Plus ca change - I got the same result back in 1961 using a wire coathanger.
 EwanR 12 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: It's perhaps a little disingenuous of Beta not to mention that a very similar product has been around for a long time...

http://www.epicsport.com/products.400.html

The original is also 1/3 of the weight.

Lurking Dave 13 Feb 2009
> Iain Whitehouse tests out the Beta Stick Technical.

You asked the chairman of the company to review their own product?

LD
In reply to Lurking Dave:

What do you mean? Tony and Iain Whitehouse are two different people aren't they?
 Lurking Dave 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Doh!

Apologies, my F*** up.

LD
Carnage 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: My Beta stick gets mocked by everyone over here who all seem to use the Trango Squid. After experiencing both in action I have to say that the Squid wins hands down.
 Jenny C 13 Feb 2009
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:
> (In reply to Lurking Dave)
>
> What do you mean? Tony and Iain Whitehouse are two different people aren't they?

Yes, different people and (despite the surname) not related.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...