UKC

Skye Ridge- transport logistics for doing Cuillin's in a day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
12345 19 Jul 2009
Hi

Planning on doing the ridge at the start of August which is maybe not the best time in terms of max daylight but it's when the diaries worked out.

Was hoping to get the ferry from Elgol and then up to Gars Bhienn as it seemed the most pleasing way to do the ridge. The plan was to set up camp at Sligachan, get bus to Elgol then ferry and end up finishing back at hotel where car and tent await.

However, the bus leaves 9.25 and the ferry sails at 10.45- and we still have to get onto the ridge- hardly an alpine start.
The alternative is to start at Glen Brittle but we will only have 1 car and will end up at the Sligachan.

Curious as to what most people do- was originally planning a two day attempt- take our time and savour the experience but the one day trip appeals but I am imagining this would require an early start which rules out the ferry.

I guess if we take the fery prob 2 days on the ridge would be required.

Is it best to get a taxi back from the hotel to glen brittle or is there public transport available.
I'd rather finish where the car/ tent was but if it was easy enough to get back there that would be fine.

Any advice welcome, probably rambled a bit much!
Removed User 19 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:

Ok, so I started from the Sligachan at about 4am (as soon as it was light)and finnished at Glen Brittle at about 9pm. I then tried to hitch back to the Sligachan and finally got a lift at around 11pm and just made it back for last orders.

The thing was that most cars were heading back to Glen Brittle from the Sligachan. So, I'd say start at Glen Brittle, leave your tent and car there, do the ridge, get a pint in the Sligachan at the end of a very long day and then hitch a ride back to your tent. If you don't get a lift then its all part of the adventure.
 Trangia 19 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:

Do what we did (if you are lucky) and exchanges car keys with a party (complete stangers!) going the opposite way.

And if you guys read this - thanks again!
 smollett 19 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:
Start at glen brittle and hitch back from Sligachan. It is easy to get as far as the end of the glen brittle road and then the next bit took us a little longer. We stashed our bags in a ditch and picked them up on the way past later (We took a lot of extra gear which we didn't need so had big packs!) Ther should still be cars going to the end of glen brittle til quite late because of the youth hostel and campsite.
Take as much water as you can! we went through 8 litres each and had to keep coming down from the ridge to get it (was a really hot still day). This meant we spent a night on am bastier instead of doing it in the one day.
Good luck!
12345 25 Jul 2009
In reply to all:

Thanks all for the replies- apologies for delay, works been a bit hectic and I've not had access to the internet.

I really like the idea of the approach from water and I've heard that the ferry does go earlier for walkers. However, weighing up the advice, the fact that it'll be a sunday and glenbrittle side is more convenient if we need to bale (perish the thought!), I think we'll go from there. My mate is keen to use his new bivy bag so looks like it'll be a 2day affair although if it's good weather i'd rather not hang about and see if day two is as nice.
May also start saturday, walk till dark and then start again first light or something like that.
Whatever we do, we'll go from Glenbrittle side. Hopefully weathr will pick up, looks rubbish just now so may end up glen shiel instead. Will let you know.
Thanks again.
12345 25 Jul 2009
In reply to Trangia:

That made me smile- I wont even let my partner drive my car! Maybe I should get out more!
 ScraggyGoat 25 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:
Camp at Slig', leave your tent and sleeping bags there. Drive to Brittle early in the morning. Do the ridge in a single day, if your fit it's far easier than lugging bivvy kit round, and solving associated water issues.

That way when you get to Slig' you can go straight in the bar and celebrate, or if you bail out you have the option of heading for your car, or for the pub.

Hitch to rescue the car next day, you won't want to do much else anyway.
 ScraggyGoat 25 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:

Alternatively, if you want to bivvy go up to Gars Bhienn at a leisurally pace, wander along and do the Dubhs, then bivvy in Grundha. Hide your bivvy kit, and do the rest of the ridge next day unencumbered. Rescue your stashed kit next day when you go to get your car.
climbingpete 25 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345: We camped at Glen Brittle. The next day we drove to Sligachan, parked the car up and walked back to the tent. Its a pleasant walk and gives you a chance to inspect the ridgeline and get an idea of the distance involved. Next day we set off about 5 I think, and made it to the pub for last orders (just), then drove back to the campsite. We had amazing weather, which helped, not sure what we would have done if the weater was crap. Having said that, we had allowed a week for the right conditions to occur. The following three days it never stopped raining! Take lots of water!! I think your better carrying loads of water than loads of gear, as you really dont want to be dropping of the ridge for it.
 9fingerjon 26 Jul 2009
In reply to 12345:

We just left everything to chance and didn't really think about how to get back to the car and tent in Glen Brittle when I did it. All was good though and hitching a lift back from the Sligachan at closing time worked out. But there probably is a lot to be said for leaving camping kit at Sligachan - the ridge is a long enough day out with out having to walk back to Glen Brittle at the end!

We called a taxi company when we got down, but it was pretty expensive and they didn't want to come out as it was a Saturday night and they had plenty of work on. Worth pre-booking if you wanted to do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...