UKC

What's your best buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Carpe Diem 05 Oct 2009
What's the one thing you've bought, what ever aspect of Climbing / mountaineering your into, that you can safely say is the kiddy.Your best purchase!!

I'll Start with My Scarpa El caps. Wouldn't swap them for anything else
Will1981 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

midge spray!
 Dr Rorlasaurus 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack 30

It's got me through a lot of adventures
 petestack 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Offsets.
In reply to Carpe Diem: Shortlist of 3: Buffalo (worn over 300 days since bought it), Marmot windshirt (running, skitouring, climbing layer, instead of gtex for rockclimbing), Rab VR trail smock.
 liz j 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:
I'm pretty fond of my Mammut Base Jump pants, although I have to say that the Arteryx Epsilon soft shell (half price £60) is probably my favourite bit of kit at the moment!!
 petestack 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> What's the one thing you've bought

In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> Shortlist of 3

Come on, Nick, play the game!
In reply to petestack: Ok dude...Buffalo without a doubt! Spoil sport!
 gethin_allen 05 Oct 2009
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
That's good you chose the buffalo because i was going to say my Rab VR smock. now it doesn't look like i'm copying you.
 Wingnut 05 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Paramo Velez. Been scraped up offwidths, used on one memorable occasion as an improvised sling, vomited into by pissed mate, ripped and diy repaired, used for winter climbing, used for spring hill-bashing, used for emergency car repairs had the oil rinsed off and taken straight back on the hill again, been chewed by campsite goat and fought for with trekking pole.
Sadly died after nearly ten years of continuous abuse. Every weekend and some weeks in between. Replaced with the current version of the same thing.
Having said that, I still have the old one . . . given that it's the shell that's shagged and it's the liner that's the trick bit, I may try re-shelling it myself and see what happens.
 Scarab 06 Oct 2009
Camp ballnuts, my favourite piece of pro and a saver

Rab vapour rise, lovely lovely lovely, I live in it

Icebreaker tee, I live in that too

Scarpa Phantoms, wow wow cant believe I swapped them for the omega thermo.
 Silum 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

close tie between BD 0.75 green cam that is literally used on every climb and my Petzl Mini Traxion.

If I put too much thought into this, I could probably make the case for most every item on my rack... in fact, now I think about it, I have a gold offset DMM nut that I couldn't live without!
 Rich35 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem: rab summit down jacket lifesaver at the grimmest of moments pop that on and all feels better
 Wotcha 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Silum: Fascinating items Silum!
Don't mean to digress but I cannot stop wondering why the Petzl Mini Traxion please?
In reply to Carpe Diem: PHD Zeta.
 SFM 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

My Marmot Driclime jacket. Use it all the time hill walking, climbing, cycling and general egging around. Originally bought it as a punt due to it being cheap too.
 Jamie Hageman 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem: Powerstretch pants - got them when I worked for Mountain Designs in Oz - still going strong after four years, brilliant baselayer.

Also Rab Summit Extreme tent - has been a fantastic mountaineering shelter in some awesome situations. So quick to pitch (2 minutes in a storm)

Thermarest Prolite 3 Short - can't believe I used to use a foam matt! Never going back

Salomon Pro Trek 7/Alp 7 - the comfiest and warmest winter boots I've ever owned. On my third pair now, discontinued now.

Just realised I was meant to pick one item, oops, just feel strongly about the above items. Everyone should try them
Paul F 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Patagonia Mixmaster jacket and pants (both half price in a sale)
 Silum 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Wotcha:

TR soloing, means I can go out midweek and do whatever I want even if I don't have a partner.

It doesn't get much use compared with my other kit, but it does give you some freedom.
 Only a hill 06 Oct 2009
In reply to Carpe Diem:
Ice axe (my usual mountaineering axe happens to be an ancient Mountain Technology Technical axe, and is nigh-on perfect).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...