UKC

Time for new Weekly Top 10 Photos Categories?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisJD 11 Oct 2009

I while back I suggested to Nick that having additional categories on the Weekly Top 10 Photos would be useful to help us make sure we don't miss the best from the weekly photo submissions.

Nick declined at that time as he thought there were not enough good images every week.

I think that has now changed significantly and there is a wealth of great images that pass-people-by (who just look at the weekly Top Ten) and that should get some form of recognition by the UKC community.

Good points have also be raised recently by people saying that the 10 ten is all too often dominated by Landscape or Alpine shots.

Plus many new great shots just don't stand a chance of making the Top 10 if there are strong images in the 'Photo of the Week' from the previous week - and these new image get lost in the general morrasee of submissions.

My suggestions would be something along the lines of:

Photo of The Week
(as it is now, possibly extended to top 20?)

Climbing Shot of the Week (selected cats).
May not be required if the Photo of Week extended to top 20

Or split Photo of The Week into two - "Climbing" and "all the rest"

Plus new category of:

Top 20 New Images of the Week (all cats)

kevin stephens 11 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

great idea

Top 5 (or 10) climbing (sport, trad, bouldering)
top 5 (or 10) exp/alpine and winter climbing
Top 5 (or 10) Landscape
 gourdo 11 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

sounds great
 Chris F 12 Oct 2009
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> great idea
>
> Top 5 (or 10) climbing (sport, trad, bouldering)
> top 5 (or 10) exp/alpine and winter climbing
> Top 5 (or 10) Landscape

I really like this idea. Too many good rock climbing photos get overwhelmed by the masses getting wowed by mountaineering and landscape shots.

Sean Bell 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> [...]
>
> I really like this idea. Too many good rock climbing photos get overwhelmed by the masses getting wowed by mountaineering and landscape shots.

Hear Hear!

Its a great idea ChrisJD, as much as I like a good landscape Im always more impressed by good climbing shots and as you say, a lot of them get overlooked and lost in favour of more 'classic' landscape images.Looking forward to seeing how this works out.Te guidelines will be an interesting read and much debate will be had Im sure...
 David Peters 12 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD: Another vote of support, the best actual 'climbing' images seem to get burried in the mass of (admittedly pretty spectacular) landscape images.
 jaswa 12 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD: I'm also in agreement with all above and would like to 'vote' in support.
 andymoin 12 Oct 2009
In reply to jaswa: Yep great Idea would really like to see this happen.
Ran Leuce 12 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:
>
> Photo of The Week
> (as it is now, possibly extended to top 20?)
>
I'd be more inclined to favour this option because a good photo is a good photo. Maybe if the manpower is there have a 'Of particular note' feature because with voting the general public are always going to spam-vote on a nice sunset/ landscape because they're generally more pleasing images to the eye.

Problem with voting is always going to be found in who the voters are, photographers, climbers, walkers, casual onlookers etc. To give *climbing* some prominence you'd have to have top ten (or 20) climbing photos, and then top ten of the rest. Could mean unmanageable man-hours though...
In reply to ChrisJD:

This is a good idea which we can put on the jobs list. Unfortunately at the moment we have all our development budget allocated to other areas of the site, but hopefully we will be able to make some changes to the photos system sometime soon. Possibly not until next year though.

Extending te Top 10 to Top 20 shouldn't be very difficult, so we may be able to look at that sooner.

One problem with the "Top 20 New Images of the week" category is that it will miss great images uploaded towards the end of the week since they won't have had time to acquire votes.

Alan
OP ChrisJD 12 Oct 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Cheers Alan for the positive feedback,

As ever, the devil will be in detail to make it 'better' than it is !

Look forward to some changes in the near short to mid term.

Cheers again

Chris

krikoman 12 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD: How about "Top naked Climber of the week"?

I propose it's a women only category for the sake of good taste and decency. We wouldn’t want to offend anyone, would we?
 Simon Caldwell 13 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:
How about an easy way of finding shots without any votes yet? In a week with more new submissions than usual, many good shots get overlooked.
Ran Leuce 13 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
> How about an easy way of finding shots without any votes yet? In a week with more new submissions than usual, many good shots get overlooked.

You can do this by using the 'Lucky Dip' option, although the link is tucked away at the bottom of the photo page.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/random.html

Simon Caldwell 13 Oct 2009
In reply to Ran Leuce:

So you can

Maybe it could be made a little less hidden!
 Silum 13 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

Love the idea. Putting my vote forward.
Daithi O Murchu 13 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

i hink there shoudl be the best photto in each catorgrie that we have to choose when we upoload them

good suggestion in the OP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...