UKC

Self coached climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AAR 30 Dec 2009
Hi.
Does any one know if the book SCC exists in pdf form and where to get it (for free)?
Thanx.
 Tom Hutton 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:

Why for free?

The authors both have a living to make and writing climbing books is never going to make them millionares. Your post is a bit like asking a plumber if he'd come and fix your frozen pipes for free.
 James Oswald 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:
Doubt it. Why would someone give away something that took hours and hours of effort?
James
 rallymania 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:

it's £14 on amazon, just buy the book and support the people who wrote it
In reply to AAR:

You mean you want to steal it. Chances are that if that's your mindset then the book won't help you anyway. You have to be prepared to put effort in before seeing results.
 Sam1991 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR: I got it for about a tenner, i forget which site, but i think it may well have been amazon. Whatt makes you think they would publish free PDF copies? Iv heard theres a rather well known scot whos recently released a book of a similar nature, which, in many cases, is thought of to be better! (and his comes with a free, yes thats FREE, E-book about how to approach hard trad)
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Steve Perry (Pezz):

Go easy on the guy. You'll be telling us its wrong to make copies of other people's CDs next.
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR: turn up for work and work for free - sounds appealing, right? no, i didnt think so. ever considered that people should get paid for work? sorry to jump down your throat but your expectation that this should be available for free is unreasonable; the book is superb and worth every penny. plus it has a DVD (also very useful) that comes with it which links in with some of the exercises / sections and you wont get this in PDF format. end of sermon...
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ThunderCat: not sure that the blokes who wrote the book are equivalent to Warner Bros, EMI, Sony etc. not saying that pirating stuff is right but theres a difference. plus, if you want to go further into it, i think the music industry, until relatively recently, was making excess profit. to an extent fairs fair therefore.
 3 Names 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ksjs:

What is excess profit?
 GrantB 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:

Good to see UKC at its judgmental best

Have you tried the library? I've found good climbing books there in the past. It won't be a pdf, but it will be free!
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ksjs:

Just thought it would be interesting to see if everyone saw a parallel with music downloading, or whether there'd be a raft of 'ah, thats different' arguments.

You can't really say it's any different, can you?
 Nigel Modern 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead:
> (In reply to ksjs)
>
> What is excess profit?

It's not the excessive profit that bothers me but the effect of the music business on the music we get...and the death of live music, other than live performance which attempts to emulate the CD.
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead: where profit isnt justified by inputs/costs.
 3 Names 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ksjs:

I dont get this, surely its just supply and demand?
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ThunderCat: i thought id just explained why it is different, at least in my opinion. are you suggesting that the writers of the book are as faceless / corporate as the likes of Sony? i did say that pirating isnt right by the way.
 3 Names 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ksjs:

So what is the limit of justified profit and who sets it?
 Tom Hutton 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ThunderCat:

To give you one person's view.

FWIW I wouldn't have a conscience about copying or free downloading a CD by what I consider to be a very wealthy supergroup eg U2, Springsteen etc etc; but I wouldn't do the same for a smaller, lesser-known artist. In fact I've just finished downloading Ella Edmondson's album at full price this morning.

I would apply the same logic to books ie Harry Potter - no concience; climbing guidebooks and the like - I will always buy them. I know how much work goes into producing a book and the kind of sales that MOST climbing/walking/etc books achieve mean that the authors are poorly paid for their efforts. Best seller authors, on the other hand, are handsomely rewarded.

I can't really justify this apart from to say that I think I need the money more than they do.
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead: no, where monopoly / oligopoly exists, the market is not free and therefore price will not be at a reasonable level.
 3 Names 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Tom Hutton:

Justify it how you like but it would be stealing, you would be a theif?
 3 Names 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ksjs:

So you steal it?
 Tom Hutton 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton)
>
> Justify it how you like but it would be stealing, you would be a theif?

Erm yes, but I'd probably spell it differently
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead: depends what sort of product and market youre talking about and what you believe in; unjustified profit is rarely without cost. witness the recent collapse of housing market and financial sector - here price bore no relation to fundamentals and was therefore artificially inflated. the UK seems to love and sustain excess profit, quite why i dont know.

i dont think this is the place for a debate on economics and politics though as we might be here all day but, suffice to say, if you charge £15 for something when costs are £3 for example id suggest there was excess profit being made and some form of correction is warranted.
 ksjs 30 Dec 2009
In reply to Dr Sidehead: no, i didnt say it was right to pirate but theres a moral difference between copying CDs from major labels and trying to get a copy of SCC for nowt. its not like the major labels or major businesses are paragons of corporate behaviour / in a position to take the moral highground is it?
 deepsoup 30 Dec 2009
In reply to ThunderCat:
> Go easy on the guy. You'll be telling us its wrong to make copies of other people's CDs next.

Ha ha. Loving your work. 8/10
 rallymania 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:

not bad btw, you got some pretty opinionated responses

and you've done the right thing staying away from the thread...

what do we think, maybe a 6 or a 7?
 mattrm 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR:

This has to have been a troll surely?
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to AAR)
> what do we think, maybe a 6 or a 7?

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good one.

But I'll bite anyway...Self Coached Climber is a very good book; everything is explained very clearly and, if it doesn't make sense when you read it, the suggested activities really help. I also find the activities are a good way to make a warm-up at the climbing wall a bit more interesting. The DVD is also very good, although some of the filming on the Redpointing section lets it down a little.
In short, it's a high quality publication which is well worth the asking price. If you can't afford it then save for it rather than doing these people out of their living.
 ThunderCat 30 Dec 2009
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
> [...]
>
> Ha ha. Loving your work. 8/10

I forgot to put the smiley after it. Meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

victorclimber 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR: it may be on one of the Torrent download sites ,but I doubt it..
 victorclimber 30 Dec 2009
In reply to AAR: quite a few books ,films ,and articles on download site but not what you want...
 imkevinmc 30 Dec 2009
In reply to mattrm: Or the real authors trying to track down the person who's turned their work into a PDF. Either way, AAR will never post again, but AAS might.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...