UKC

Cwm Silyn and Cadair idris in condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thomas Martin 02 Jan 2010
Any ideas if eithier of the areas are in? or nearly there?
 mynyddresident 02 Jan 2010
I myself am wondering about Cadair Tuesday....maybe
 Ian McNeill 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin: here is a local weather station and some web cams the views could be better
http://weather.tamaris.org.uk/

and Barmouth web cam looking at the mountain
http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/camera/abermaw/webcam1.jpg
 sdawson1 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Ian McNeill:

I went Saturday for a recce, piccies on my blogspot below

http://simondawsonsblogger.blogspot.com/2010/01/winter-conditions-cadair-ar...

There was little snow compared to where I live in Harlech which was a bit dissapointing. The tope of Cadair was covered but Great Gully just looked like a snow plod.

There was an Ice pitch formed over by Cwyarch but we were on our way back home when we spotted it. Another day !
 climber_medic 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin: My mate and I had a walk in to maesglasau falls this morning. It isnt forming too well and I also agree with the other comments about the conditions not being a patch on those in Cwm Idwal etc.

Hope this is useful
 Ian McNeill 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin:
frozen lawn in our garden and were at 25m above sea here in Dyffryn !

bet the Bodly routes are in nick ... Im free Tuesday till Friday ...
 Ian McNeill 03 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin: Cwm Bodlyn !
 Tom Hutton 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Ian McNeill:

Bump

Would love to know what Cadair's looking like at the mo? Had to go via Llangollen yesterday so didn't get a chance for a recce

Has anyone climbed anything there?
Glad to see that there is an interest in these southern hills. The climbing is very good at present. I'm out most days around these parts and have a blog at http.//www.climbmountains.co.uk/
 Tom Hutton 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Huw Gilbert climbmountains.co.uk:

Great to see your blog Huw. Are the gullies loaded at all or just frozen? May take a look at it tomorrow. Any other info appreciated

Thanks

Tom
In reply to Tom Hutton: There's some shallow wind slab built up above the Foxes Path and I guess other similar aspects on the mountain. I went up Central Gully today and the snow was good. The other lines on Pen y Gader all look good particularly Gwth and The Ratler. I'll have some pictures and a report on the blog in an hour or so.
 Neil Anderson 04 Jan 2010
In reply to Huw Gilbert climbmountains.co.uk:
> Glad to see that there is an interest in these southern hills.

There sure is - your blog is a useful addition to info on these fickle spots. I explored the Fawddwy Gullies 1 - 2 last yr - again in wondeful isolation.

I assume the icefall on your trip of the 21st to the Arans was East Gully Direct (IV)? I wonder when it last got an ascent?

Do you know of any topos? apart from the brief notes in welsh winter climbs (1988) and joh sumner's mid wales (1988) ?

I've always imagined there are some stellar grade v, VI et al routes here for those capable of such things ?

With 2 weeks more of frost predicted - what chance Pistyll rhaeadr freezing?
In reply to Neil Anderson: The only info that I know of is Welsh Winter Climbs but even this isn't that accurate. By Andy Newton's admission it was clearly impossible to check out all the crags and routes themselves. The icefall is East Gully Direct but as an example of the above comments this route is just Winding Gully with the icefall climbed direct, not 2 seperate lines as the book could lead you to believe. The Meirionnydd Rock Climbing Guide has lots of obscure crag topos and can offer the odd clue to winter potential. There must be loads of unclimbed icelines to be found, it'll just take a bit of exploration. Some of these routes will be superb but are a long walk to get to. Compare this against the quality routes in Idwal etc and you can see why Southern Snowdonia isn't everybodys cup of tea. But for those of us who like that kind of thing! Good snow conditions would offer up hundreds of great lines but this I fear is a rare thing, could it be happening now? Tourist Gully on Aran Benllyn for example could be fantastic. I'm starting to realise that there are more people than I thought nosing around down here so there must be a fair bit of combined knowledge. You sound like quite an expert yourself. Enjoy the wilderness.
 craigjfjones 05 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin: I'll have a picture or 2 of Cader taken this afternoon on/in my album shortly (with a bit of luck!).
dogjogger 05 Jan 2010
In reply to Huw Gilbert climbmountains.co.uk:hi plenty of potential for mixed routes in the area,also some nice waterfalls that are worth a look
have explored the area for twenty plus years,cwmystwyth mines near devils
bridge sports sum good ice.enjoying the wilderness cheers.
 Huw Gilbert 05 Jan 2010
In reply to 75brynrheidol: Mixed routes are another thing all together. In times when anything that's white is considered fair game there must be literally thousands of lines on offer. With the exception of Cyfwry Arete there's barely a single mixed line listed in the Winter Climbs book south of Snowdon. There can't be many places left in these Isles where a 200m new route of totally independent line could be done. And what's more routes could be found at any grade.
 sdawson1 09 Jan 2010
In reply to Thomas Martin:
Hi I have been to 2 exceptional areas Friday and today (saturday) pictures attached. Go fillyour boots they wont be in for a long time again if you leave it. Check out my pictures below !!!

http://simondawsonsblogger.blogspot.com/2010/01/maesglau-falls-today-8110-s...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...