UKC

Will stanage be dry today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Callard 17 Jan 2010
It's looking a bit damp in glossop today, does anyone know if it's better further east? Showers forcast this morning with Sun later. worth the drive for a
chance?
 Pilch 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Callard:

Still very damp here in Chesterfield and no sign of any sun yet. I'm guessing that Stanage will be unpleasant. Higger Tor is often a good bet as it faces south.
 Dan Lane 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Callard:

I'd be VERY surprised is snake pass was open, apparently the mountain rescue drove up in there landrover the other day, to see how far they could get in the event of a callout, they said some of the drifts were above the height of the landrover just over the summit...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Pilch:

Well the File faces south, the rest faces west just like Stanage/Burbage/Froggatt etc.

Chris
 PontiusPirate 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Callard:

Your main problem may well be the amount of snow still covering the upland areas - it had hardly thawed at all in the Dales yesterday & I was trying to get through drifts that went higher than the adjacent drystone walls! And this was at less than 400m ASL!!!!
The thaw in the upland areas appears to be a very slow one & forecasts (if they still work anymore) are predicting 'significant accumulations' over the hills Wednesday/Thursday...

Almscliffe might be dry later...

PP.
 Simon 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Callard:

My guess is that all the melt water will make it very unpleasant everywhere.

..good walking day though!

Si
In reply to PontiusPirate: I'm heading to Almscliffe in around an hour or so. Should be something dryish!
 Chris the Tall 17 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Callard:
Not sure if any of the roads up to it will be open yet, but if they are I suspect they'll still be loads of snow up there. You might get some cracking pictures, but I don't think you find any dry rock
OP Ben Callard 17 Jan 2010

Yeh,

I think the melting snow more than anything would cause problems. fingers crossed for next weekend.
 Jonny2vests 18 Jan 2010
In reply to PontiusPirate:
> (In reply to BennoC)
>
> Your main problem may well be the amount of snow still covering the upland areas

If you mean Eastern Edges when you say 'Upland areas' then most of the ones I saw yesterday are free from snow on top now, eg Curbar, Froggatt etc. Don't know about Stanage & Burbage.

The problem is having a long enough dry period to fully dry out. The trackside boulder was almost dry yesterday, I reckon it will def dry out this morning if it doesn't rain, along with the edge itself.
 Ropeboy 18 Jan 2010

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...