UKC

Camping in Yosemite Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kevin Bowser 16 Mar 2010
Hello.

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice...

I'm planning on going to Yosemite this July in a group of 4. The camping reservation window opened yesterday but unfortunately we were unable to get a site at North/Upper/Lower Pines before everything was sold out.

Does anyone know what our chances are of actually being able to camp there, or do we just need to accept that we'll have to alter our plans? I've heard that they tend to get a lot of cancellations and no-shows - is this true? If we just show up what are the chances they'd be able to squeeze us in? Campgrounds are for 6 people, so I'm hoping that there'll actually be quite a bit of space.

Alternatively is Camp 4 (which we'd like to avoid) our best option?

Thanks for any advice...
 Fredt 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

How are you travelling? If you have wheels, then I would strongly recommend camping at Crane Flat Campground. Only 20-30 minutes drive from the base of El Cap. You get huge pitches, much better/cleaner facilities and its very quiet. Cheap garage/grocery close by. And you don't get those tiresome climber types strutting up and down.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Fredt:
and you're also closer to Tuolumne Meadows, which is a much nice place than the Valley IMHO.
 Fredt 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Fredt)
> and you're also closer to Tuolumne Meadows, which is a much nice place than the Valley IMHO.

And a bit cooler in July!!

beardy mike 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble: Another vote for Tuolumne. Or you can go to the campsite walkin center and get a space on the spot. Or go to Camp 4.
 ebygomm 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

The first time I was in Yosemite we stayed at a campsite just outside Yosemite (twenty minute drive from the valley) on the El Portal road. I don't really remember what is was like, other than we were relieved to have found somewhere. At the time all the valley campgrounds were closed due to flooding.
seaofdreams 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

white wolf is a very cool camp ground and i "think" its walk in
 Peter Milner 16 Mar 2010
In reply to seaofdreams: I'd recommend White Wolf. And you can drive in. It's surrounded by boulders, which makes it seem a bit like Font, though on closer inspection they're not so great.
 BenTiffin 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble: Out of interest, why do you want to avoid Camp 4? I had a lovely two week stop in August a few years ago.

Ben
OP Kevin Bowser 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble: Thanks for all the replies, there's certainly a couple of options there re Crane Flats and White Wolf.

With regards the campsite walk in centres - I take each campsite has one? Any idea what our chances are of getting a camping spot if we just turned up?

Re Camp 4 - a friend of mine has suggested we might be best to avoid it. Happy to be told otherwise...
 Jock 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:
Spent some time at Camp 4 a couple of years ago & really enjoyed it. Great craic round the fire with climbers from all over the world, facilities were fine and the bears kept away (from my tent, anyway). Pot luck who your fellow campers are - like anywhere - but it was a chilled, mellow scene; I'd recommend it.
 John_Hat 16 Mar 2010
In reply to Jock:

I wasn't keen on camp 4, but in fairness when we were there it looked like this...

http://www.littleteapot.org.uk/Climbing/Yosemite/J4/IMG_7208.JPG
 John_Hat 16 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

> Re Camp 4 - a friend of mine has suggested we might be best to avoid it. Happy to be told otherwise...

If you've got other options then frankly places like Upper Pines are a lot nicer - and certainly more handy for the all-you-can-eat buffet in Curry Village. In comparison to the rest, camp 4 pitchs are about a tenth of the size of the others, its got enough of a slope on it in places that you and all your gear wake up in a pile at the end of the tent with the lowest elevation, and depending on the time of year can be a thriving ant farm. You are also generally camping on hard-packed earth rather than soft springy grass/natural pine mulch.

But if you've not got other options there's nowt much wrong with it.. a few square feet of soil is about all a camper needs. Other stuff might be nice to have, but its not a necessity.

tri-nitro-tuolumne 17 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

I spent a few weeks in Camp 4 a couple of years ago. It may not be the "best" campsite in Yosemite, but staying there is definitely a rite of passage for any climber, and you get to meet some cool people.
 Enty 17 Mar 2010
In reply to nigelp:
> (In reply to MrFlibble)
>
> I spent a few weeks in Camp 4 a couple of years ago. It may not be the "best" campsite in Yosemite, but staying there is definitely a rite of passage for any climber, and you get to meet some cool people.

Totally agree - camped there 3 times now and loved "the scene".

However, next September I might look at one of the other options.

Enty
 Simon Caldwell 17 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:
> With regards the campsite walk in centres - I take each campsite has one? Any idea what our chances are of getting a camping spot if we just turned up?

It's been a while so this may have changed, but back in the 90s I stayed (or tried to stay) in the Valley a few times. Each time I didn't bother booking but turn up on spec. Twice I managed to get a place by standing in a queue for half a day. Twice there was nothing available and I ended up camping outside the park. This was in September each time.
OP Kevin Bowser 17 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble: Thanks everyone. Your replies are very much appreciated!

Kevin
 torquil 17 Mar 2010
In reply to MrFlibble:

Just as an extra, if you turn up and all the walk-ins are full (it happened to me once on Memorial Weekend) then you can get a (free) wilderness permit from one of the ranger stations, rent a bear canister for next to nothing, hike away from the road (officially 2 miles i think, but out of sight will do) and camp. Best out of the valley itself. In fact it turned out to be one of the best bits about my last trip there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...