UKC

Ben Lui - central gully still complete?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 11 Apr 2010
With overnight frosts predicted for the next few days I am starting to turn my thoughts to Ben Lui's Central Gully, but am unsure if it has been completely decimated by the thaws.

Can anyone advise me whether this route is still complete? Cheers!
 GraMc 11 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill: skied it today and its still complete and in good condition!! ( icy enough to not be soo great for skiing even in the afternoon)
 Ronbo 11 Apr 2010
In reply to Ginger McGrath: Mentalist.
 bob-e 11 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill: Very well filled looking in from the road, as is Y-gully on Cruach Ardrain. Should remain so for a while, if it gets a bit colder.
OP Only a hill 11 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill:
Cheers for the info guys, looks like I'll be heading out tomorrow then!
 Alan Breck 12 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill: Be interested to hear how you got on. Can't manage until Wednesday though.
 Lamb 12 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill: Me too also, looking at it on Tuesday.
 keith hal 12 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill:Will be heading up that way on Thur or friday so would also be interested to hear what conditions are like!
Cheers
 JAMES K 13 Apr 2010
In reply to Ginger McGrath: what was the drop in like off the top ?
many rocks to watch out for ?
 gdp 13 Apr 2010
In reply to JAMES K:
Several entry points to avoid the cornice at the top.
Depending on where you ski depends on whether you need to avoid rocks (there's always a billy goat line), but you didn't have to worry about them till near the bottom. Best skiing seemed to us to be on the face as it was softened nicely by the sun and there was a foot wide run of ice crust running down the centre of the gully itself. Obviously conditions could be very different 2 days later, but the face is more than big enough to find a line you'll like!
Don't bother with skins either, it was easier just to boot pack.
OP Only a hill 14 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill:
For everyone who has expressed interest, I climbed it yesterday morning in clagged, muggy conditions and found it a bit of a slush-fest. The anticipated overnight refreeze didn't happen, but nevertheless it was quite possible to climb even in its disintegrating state.

There was a refreeze last night so it should be epic for today. Best of luck to those on it this morning!
 JAMES K 14 Apr 2010
In reply to gdp: thanks for the info
sounds like its still well worth the walk in then
with the weather getting a bit colder again it should hold in ok for a wee while yet
 Alan Breck 14 Apr 2010
In reply to Only a hill: As didn't get an update before I "went" I "wented" elsewhere for a WALK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...