UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Ba, ba, black sheep 1st try

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
[The LowDown: Ba, ba, black sheep 1st try, 2 kb]This week, the French climber Romain Desgranges has done a first try* ascent of Dave Graham's Ba, ba, black sheep 8c+ atCeüse. More information on his blog *1st try in French lingo means 2nd tryPhoto by Fred Moix. Thanks also to Yohann Farges!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=54803

Some of these replies were posted on Björn's old blog website, and so won't be from registered UKC users
Tim Hatch 28 Sep 2009
Maybe the use of the term has mutated, but its not that important.
Tim 28 Sep 2009
Hi Bjorn,
Are you sure about your definition of First Attempt? When I was younger the convention was:
1) A Vue (i.e. On-Sight) - absolutely no prior knowledge.
2) Premier Essai (aka Flash) - ground up on first go, but with prior knowledge from observation or other means but no working of the route/moves
3) Apres Travail (i.e. After-Work, aka Red Point) - Led through with no falls.

Apologies for any spelling mistakes/missed accents
Björn 28 Sep 2009
Hi Tim,
of course this is not a question of right or wrong, it's just different ways of counting. The way I understand it, Premier essai is not the same thing as flash, but means the attempt after either an onsight/flash try or one hang-dog session. I guess most of us would call this 2nd try, but I don't think this is a problem as long as we know what we're talking about. In fact, it wouldn't really be a problem even if we didn't...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...